Massey Ferguson seed drills - 29, 30, 500

SPN

Can anyone give an overview of the history of MF seed drills from the 60s through to the 90s?

The MF30 was by far the most popular drill around these parts for a very long time. I remember seeing a few older MF29s when I was young, and I've recently come across a couple of MF500s.

When were the different models introduced, and what do people think of them?

Ferguson 720a Drill

1949 -1957- 14,949 made

MF732

1950-1964 – 16,470 made

MF728 Superseeder – an old Massey Harris product

1955-1964 – 14,089 made

MF29 (also known as 729 for a while)

1965 – 1972 – production figures n/a

MF34 (also known as 734 for a while)

1965 – 1972 – production figures n/a

As for the MF30... you'll just have to buy a copy of the current edition of Classic Massey as there is an article in it that tells you all about the production periods etc.  ;):P

Not forgetting the MF(7)32 Unit seeder.... in an attempt to compete with the stanhay drill I guess

1962 -1966 - only 439 made

I don't think you'd call it a runaway success then really  :-\

MF32_Page_1-1.jpg

As for the answer to your question Stan.... an MF30 will serve you well... it was they most popular selling drill of all times I do believe. Simple, easy to work on and very accurate as well. Check for parts availability though... I'm not sure if things like the rubber boots and tubes are still readily available.. MF will have stopped officiually servicing them for parts many years ago now.

Also... coulter selection (type) is most important and always pertinent to your seedbed type too. I've got full sacnned copies of these if you do decide to take the plunge and buy one.

Oh... an you'll need a 'small seed kit' to sow grass properly  ;)  .. but I guess you'd just broadcast that anyway ?

GettingTheMostOutOfTheMF30_Page_01.jpg

GettingTheMostOutOfTheMF30_2.jpg

Dear Mr Universal Hobbies, and Ms ROS.

Hint, Hint!

(ps: Thanks a million Mark. Very much appreciated)

My pleasure Stan... if you need anything else mate just ask... happy to help  :-*

Gets a tad confusing mate.... that's a Drill and not a 'unit seeder'  ;) ... not forgetting the MF732 mower fromthe same era  :of:D :D

Given the number of those MF32's made Mark I wonder how may have survived today... :-\  I suspect they are probably worth more now than when new....if you could find one that is ;) ;)

Indeedy Bill... Can't be many left now I am sure... I've never seen one myself either  :-[

great info mark :) . growing up on the farm in the early 1970s dad used a ferguson drill that he thinks was a GPE 15, (which replaced a massey harris 720A). from memory this looks very similar to  the 732 drill pictured by marcus. just wondered if these drills were renumbered following the merger with massey harris. the gpe15 was eventually replaced by a mf30 drill.regards sid

I'm not a Ferguson man really I must confess... but I'm, sure you are correct in what you say. Most of the early MF implements were simply rebadged versions of those made for (but not usually by..) Harry Ferguson Ltd.

I'm pretty sure the Ferguson drill was called the 'Universal seed drill' and was manufactured by Rubery Owen Ltd. of Darlaston Staffordshire. I'm not sure if MF would have have the drill made by Joseph Sankey & Son's Ltd. soon after as they seemed to favour them over other previous manufacturers.

I wonder if the 720A was what became the 728 superseeder then perhaps ???

MF 30 here and heading into its 7th season now I do believe - how times fly.

Very happy with it and worth more now than we paid for it  8)

Popular export machine now, Colm. I've picked up a few over the last year, suprising what good nick many are still in aswell.

I am actually surprised at that Tris - where to mate?

dont know why colm ,very good reliable machines mate, as you know, very few moving parts to deal with ,what are can easilly get sorted in field if needed ,like pipes ect, perfect for africa ect ,we had one from new, moved between the farms, and was mainly a back up for the last 10 years as we moved to a maschino drill combo,but wuldnt have sold it

this is a the African way of drilling Sean E baby... MF style anyway

My father was an advisor in the Sudan in the 40s and they had drills like the 720 but wider, in gangs of 5 pulled by Cat D6s & D8s - fields were up to 3 miles long.

We had a 4m 30 in the mid 80s. I thought it was a great drill but the transport kit was a bit of a fiddle. :)

never really got into the drills & assosiated machinery mark , & although simillar in design if i remember the 30 was a precision drill & the 130 a direct drill ? so i would assume the 500 would be the next generation 30 ?

funny, if you ask farmers they will always say how much more acreage they covered with these drills compared to the powerharrow/ drill combinations & for some how much cheaper it was as well , especially on the lighter soils, which begs the question why change to the combination drill ?

any info on these 510 drills mark , how many were made & how much of an impact they made considering they came into a pretty well established market with the dominant sellers like accord & the like ?

omj9Small.jpg