County Tractors at work and play

BC

My last contribution of County related equipment from my own photogarphic collection.

Starting with the County Power Drives 11F.

IMGcounty8_0001.jpg

Followed by a County Muli.

P1070308.jpg

Lifeboat tractor developed by one of County's former designers.

IMGcounty9_0007.jpg

Lastly former County owned E.R.F tractor unit and low loader.

P1120220-1.jpg

Would County have used a Buckinghamshire registered ERF?

Surely they would have been loyal to Ford when buying trucks.

I'm unsure as to the origins of them using this truck Stan but I believe it currently belongs to County tractor "guru" Mark Osborne.

Excellent photos as always David, thanks for putting all the Countys together!!!

Thanks ever so much Howard, really enjoyed putting this little lot together. If any of my photographs are of use to your register, you're are more than welcome to them.

Some great photos there, including some interesting and unusual versions that we didn't see around even when they were in production.

Would County have used a Buckinghamshire registered ERF?

Surely they would have been loyal to Ford when buying trucks.

I thought it was odd too. I don't know the actual provenance of that ERF, but I do know that County Commercial Cars ran a fleet of about 10 D-series Fords during most of the 70's, and they had at least one Ford Transcontinental in the late 70's which was used for transporting the demonstrators around.

They are certainly fairly rare; as you say they weren't built for longevity. Unlike most previous Ford trucks which were manufactured within Ford, they were basically kit built - the engines were sourced from Cummins, transmission from Eaton and cab shipped in complete from Berliet.

Shame that restored example is missing the chrome F O R D lettering across the upper panel.

There is a pic of the one the County demo team used, lined up with some of Basildons Transcontinentals, in John Hulls book 'The Best Job Ever'

Completely unrelated to County (as they were Ford, Roadless and Muir Hill dealers), I remember that Lincolnshire Motors (or Hartford Motors Agricultural as they were at the time) ran a Transcontinental out of their (now long gone) Caistor depot in the late 70s/early 80s.

Edited by ploughmaster

Great stuff David. Enjoyed looking threw that lot. ;)

Thanks ever so much Justin, enjoyed posting them up to the forum. :)

Great stack of photos! Probably me, but never seen a Super 6 in blue/orange before. :)

Thanks John. Same here, that is the only extended tin work Super 6 I have ever seen painted in a blue and orange. Definitely curious to know whether or not it's genuine.

Some great photos there, including some interesting and unusual versions that we didn't see around even when they were in production.

Thanks Clive, hopefully i'll be able to find a few more in preservation this year especially now that i'm a member of the Blueforce Club who have a number of exciting working days planned. :)

And this forestry one at the 2008 Strathnairn (near Inverness) working day.

Now that's a very impressive looking oufit Bill, great to see a County "long swamp" crawler. :)

I did not know those were nicknamed the long swamp crawler David but right enough they are rather long in length when you look at them...and its true you do learn something new every day ;D ;D

That's how Stuart Gibbard refers to them in his book "County - A Pictorial Review" Bill. ;) Largely used for land reclamation work and draining peat bogs. I missed out on seeing one of these tractors in the flesh at the Newby Hall event last year....Maybe this year. :)

I too must make a bigger effort to capture County's in action this year David. I know the Scottish County Tractor Club will be at our local working event which is held at BA Stores Lyne of Skene mid may each year. In addition they hold their usually hold their own working day at the back end of the year so I'll see if I can attend it as well.

They haven't updated their website for 2012 yet :angry:

http://www.scottishcountytractorclub.co.uk/6.html

• 2 weeks later...