2Nd Year Nd Agriculture Student Seeking Part/full Time Work

jordantaylor

jordan i may have missed this question somewhere, but have you broached the issues with youre boss and explained how you your feel ?? you said hes taken the time to teach you the calf things, so clearly he feels your up to the tasks, maybe hes being fed duff infomation by others there? maybe a proper chat wityh him will solve all the problems and make your life easier

there is plenty of good paying farming jobs out there.. job i am in now pays bloody well ..not going to say but over £2500 a month.. its just a case of finding the right one but more important the right boss.. a lot of employersout there take the pi55 out of workers and they are the ones with adverts in the paper every were ..beware of these tw4ts

The pay your on is terrible there really i get £5 an hour at home and elsewhere i work at more than one place which is useful, because you meet more people and learn from more people and that way your always busy rather than working in one place where your more likely to have busy times and then quite times but it depends what type of farm your at. I also think pay should be more skill based than age based as you get some people who can hardly steer straight whatever age and then you can get young lads who are not bad at all they won't know everything but they can be a lot better than others

i wont lie, i was earning cracking money in the harvest, about £2200 a month but that was full time. that was on £5.95/hr and £8.93/hr overtime. now i dont get paid overtime and we do do quite a bit of out of after normal hours work. i do an average of 11 working hours a day and thats taken out breaktimes. i get paid a daily wage of £30 and ive broken it down so my average hourly pay is £2.72. now if i was to work every day for a month i would earn just £837. now that is not allot and dont forget i only do 3 days a week as im at college the rest so it takes me a hell of a long time to earn that money. i have worked bank holidays, all of my half terms, christmas, boxing day ect...

now i like to feel im dedicated and i put up with allot and this is due to me wanting to get a good role in any farm business

im sorry jordan but you do seem very full of your self and all knowing.

this is a fellow young (18) enthusiastic agri work seeker.

keep it calm lad.

you have to start at the bottom and work up like!!

how are you so calm about it then??? do you get treated badly??? if so do you enjoy it??

i dont know you at all but i calnt see that you would enjoy being treated badly, we all need to be treated with a little respect and treated well and no offence we should be paid a wage that is worth working for. i have been at the bottom for the past 5 years apart from a blip in the summer. ive been working on farms since the age of 12 and that was all down to me as im not really from a farming background, ive wanted it and gone for it and still not really got anywhere with it, just still the farm worker that does not look like he has a future. even with all the tickets and experience. its looking like it has all been a waste of time as it is not being put to any use at all even though there are chances for it to be used. are you having the same problem

how long have you been job hunting

Some interesting comments here, Gav and Rob have given some good food for thought. Have you approached your boss yet? Not your manager, your boss. I wonder if you get drawn in by the big acreage, fancy machinery and so on, Jordan. It is easy to fall for it, I did the same in at least one job in the past. You may feel like you have been stuck at the bottom as that is where your employers see you fit, maybe because they have a team built up who do alm the glory jobs. I spent part of my middle year on a 2000 acre, 1000 head arable and beef farm. Modern kit, not many jobs left to contractors S they had their own combine, plough, forager and baler and what did I do? Bale cart a summer and slurry tanking all winter from their piggery. I went back to the 500ac farm I started on where I did the combining, drilling, spraying, cattle work with 40 sucklers and latet 200 bull beef.... Aim lower and you may go higher Jordan.

Some interesting comments here, Gav and Rob have given some good food for thought. Have you approached your boss yet? Not your manager, your boss. I wonder if you get drawn in by the big acreage, fancy machinery and so on, Jordan. It is easy to fall for it, I did the same in at least one job in the past. You may feel like you have been stuck at the bottom as that is where your employers see you fit, maybe because they have a team built up who do alm the glory jobs. I spent part of my middle year on a 2000 acre, 1000 head arable and beef farm. Modern kit, not many jobs left to contractors S they had their own combine, plough, forager and baler and what did I do? Bale cart a summer and slurry tanking all winter from their piggery. I went back to the 500ac farm I started on where I did the combining, drilling, spraying, cattle work with 40 sucklers and latet 200 bull beef.... Aim lower and you may go higher Jordan.

that is very good advice. on a big outfit you can get lost in the crowd, on a small one you will stand out.

how are you so calm about it then??? do you get treated badly??? if so do you enjoy it??

i dont know you at all but i calnt see that you would enjoy being treated badly, we all need to be treated with a little respect and treated well and no offence we should be paid a wage that is worth working for. i have been at the bottom for the past 5 years apart from a blip in the summer. ive been working on farms since the age of 12 and that was all down to me as im not really from a farming background, ive wanted it and gone for it and still not really got anywhere with it, just still the farm worker that does not look like he has a future. even with all the tickets and experience. its looking like it has all been a waste of time as it is not being put to any use at all even though there are chances for it to be used. are you having the same problem

how long have you been job hunting

Wow now, throw the anchor out lad! While I don't agree with the wage you are getting for the hours ( my first ever pay cheque for about 50hrs was 135 quid in 05 ) you are still at college, your post sounds like you are expecting a management position. The only thing I'd be worrying about if I was you is getting a reasonable wage for what you do, finishing your course, get a visa for newzealand, drink and women!

before i got this job i applied to many smaller farms and they just did not have enough work or the room for me and so i was stuck with no choice but to go and apply at a bigger unit where there are many more job oppertunities.

unfortunatly a week into my job i was offered a job i had previously applied for working on a pig and arable farm working with the pigs throughout the year and arable through the summer. i am really regreting not going for the interview now but i didnt want to look bad and leave after a week.

i would like to go to smaller farm just a few hundred acres, bit of arable, sheep, beef or dairy and fit in there.

dont think im being ungreatfull as you are all giving me plenty of good advice and im very greatfull for that even though i might not seem it to some, i think my first step will be to approach my boss this week and see what he says. if it does not work out i will start looking elsewhere and mabee move a tad further into wales to the smaller farms and see what available

Well, if your boss likes his scale models he might have been reading on here as well and will know all about the situation! ;D Never a clever thing complaining about work and such on the internet! Everyone can read it.

As said before I think you're better off on a smaller farm where you get more attention, do more different things and grow with the company. Especially if it's a young guy that just took over from his father (or something like it) you can grow with the company and face some new and exciting challenges.

Oh and if you're in it to make money I'd suggest you'd try another job! As farming is long hours for not a lot of pay. You either have to be madd or absolutely devoted to it.

Some fantastic points on here with everything, going smaller is a good way to get a broad range of skills. But often good large units will let you spread out your skills. For example I'm on 4000 acre farm now you do have set roles with mine covering all spraying and cultivation's in summer. But coming up to 3 years in the job I've done a bit of most things drilling combining etc. I came here straight from college (left college early to get the job but did all my work so still passed I'm only 22) But be prepared to work very hard in mean time there is only 2 of us employed here so during growing season work is intense with 100hr weeks common long before harvest and after. But be prepared to travel for the right job I'm well over 100 miles from home and 180+ from college. But now love the East and really would question moving away. My advice is never get a bad name with any employer as news travels fast, even if there rubbish employers they may still have a lot of local friends to you. But be prepared to travel if right job comes up not just 20 miles think 100+ if your prepared to. But you never stop learning, I've still got a lot to learn and still do everyday

Edited by Pingu

Well, if your boss likes his scale models he might have been reading on here as well and will know all about the situation! ;D Never a clever thing complaining about work and such on the internet! Everyone can read it.

Very good advice

My Dad always tellls me never fall out with a boss however bad he maybe.

After leaving last year after doing a ND in agriculture i got a job on a 6000 acre farm, on the arable side - about 20mins from my house. Ive done 3 summer seasons with them predominateley leading corn, taties and stacking bales etc. However now that I have left college I tend to get lots of variety. Ploughed about 170 acres this backend, bit of tanking, rolling, lots of loader work, bit of building, leading muck etc. And there was talk of my boss getting me going on the bateman - and I love it. The highlight for me though was in August my boss got me a 6930 for me to drive, which i call my own tractor as we all have our own tractors at work that we maintain a nd look after, already done nearly 800 hrs in half a year.

I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet, but i really did blow my own trumpet (in the village band).

Seriously, every one starts at the bottom but if you stick at it you normally work up. Just out of interest, you list your experience, could you enlarge on it for example how much ploughing you have done, tackle used, lambing experience etc.

ok, my experience goes as follows

ploughing-used 3,4 & 5 furrow ploughs, ive ploughed for college and for a large arable farm for charity covering about 200 acres

i calnt be specific as to how much grain, muck and root crops ive carted but all together its around 160-180+ loads using 12-16 tonne trailers

i have carted bales for poplars only and that was for a summer on 40ft & 30ft trailers

ive spread muck using dual spreaders covering about 50 acres

slurry spreading and injecting about 60 acres

ive done and still do allot of loader work daily for thomases, college, suckleys & griffiths handling muck, bales, grain, potatoes & boxes

i have only lambed 8 ewes and all at college, ive helped cows calve at poplars and thomases, and had to assist in around 8-10 births

i have roaged 2500 acres for suckleys in summer gone and around 500 acres for poplars. i have done disbudding, worming, treating stock for various diseases at college, poplars and many other farms as part of college trips

oh and to date i have cleaned and bedded down 151 cubicle beds for 46 days twice a day equaling to 12,684 times already and thats not including all the ones i have done at college and poplars.

i have also had a leading role in calf rearing since october 2011 not including calves reared at poplars and college.

let me know if ive missed anything out, these are the main things

but dont forget i did not say i was really experienced at all these jobs and that i just had experience in some of them

Edited by jordantaylor

I want to stay positive in this topic because the farming industry needs young blood, its refreshing for younger people to be interested and want to do it.. the average age of a farmer is 65!! I'm only 27 and coming from a farming family I should probably be in it, but I'm money driven so was put off. But what ever you do dont go to another farm or write on your CV and say you drive the telehandler/loader I cant remember how old you have to be to do it, but you need a ticket unless you own the thing to be covered by insurance. I've gotta do a track laying test to drive the challenger we have just got at home, else i wouldnt dare take it down the road. Remember what you are and arent allowed to do.

Good luck with your boss, but remember your under 18. I wasnt taken seriously with my job till 25 and as the average age is 65 you can see there are many more experienced people out there and there is currently high unemployment for the under 25s.. But at least your trying oh and seriously read the CV topic...

Rob

Jordan, don't forget your future employer doesn't care how many cubicles you mucked out or how many bales you shifted. it is about responsibility and knowing how to work on your own and solving problems as you come along. It doesn't matter how many acres you ploughed but it is about the whole job, sticking the plough on the tractor correctly, setting it up, looking at the field and deciding how it needs to be ploughed and make decisions upon result i.e ringing your boss and telling him to come have a look as you reckon it might be to wet, or something like it. It's things like these that a manager appriciates in his workers. Driving a trailer round anyone can do but if you want a carreer in farming you have to be able to handle the whole picture and manage on your own and solve solutions. At least, that is my opinion on things. And if you can get it all to work out correctly you will enjoy a good time.

Every boss hates guys that ring him every time something comes up without thinking first. I have been in working groups with both agricultural students and employers and it was one of the main issues that they were facing problems with.

Edited by Niels

Some fantastic points on here with everything, going smaller is a good way to get a broad range of skills. But often good large units will let you spread out your skills. For example I'm on 4000 acre farm now you do have set roles with mine covering all spraying and cultivation's in summer. But coming up to 3 years in the job I've done a bit of most things drilling combining etc. I came here straight from college (left college early to get the job but did all my work so still passed I'm only 22) But be prepared to work very hard in mean time there is only 2 of us employed here so during growing season work is intense with 100hr weeks common long before harvest and after. But be prepared to travel for the right job I'm well over 100 miles from home and 180+ from college. But now love the East and really would question moving away. My advice is never get a bad name with any employer as news travels fast, even if there rubbish employers they may still have a lot of local friends to you. But be prepared to travel if right job comes up not just 20 miles think 100+ if your prepared to. But you never stop learning, I've still got a lot to learn and still do everyday

hello pingu, where are you in essex? i am in finchingfield on the essex/suffolk border.are you in this part of county or down south with the dagenham daves!!

ok, my experience goes as follows

ploughing-used 3,4 & 5 furrow ploughs, ive ploughed for college and for a large arable farm for charity covering about 200 acres

i calnt be specific as to how much grain, muck and root crops ive carted but all together its around 160-180+ loads using 12-16 tonne trailers

i have carted bales for poplars only and that was for a summer on 40ft & 30ft trailers

ive spread muck using dual spreaders covering about 50 acres

slurry spreading and injecting about 60 acres

ive done and still do allot of loader work daily for thomases, college, suckleys & griffiths handling muck, bales, grain, potatoes & boxes

i have only lambed 8 ewes and all at college, ive helped cows calve at poplars and thomases, and had to assist in around 8-10 births

i have roaged 2500 acres for suckleys in summer gone and around 500 acres for poplars. i have done disbudding, worming, treating stock for various diseases at college, poplars and many other farms as part of college trips

oh and to date i have cleaned and bedded down 151 cubicle beds for 46 days twice a day equaling to 12,684 times already and thats not including all the ones i have done at college and poplars.

i have also had a leading role in calf rearing since october 2011 not including calves reared at poplars and college.

let me know if ive missed anything out, these are the main things

but dont forget i did not say i was really experienced at all these jobs and that i just had experience in some of them

i once worked on a farm and they lambed down 250 mule ewes. tupps were suffolk and texels. i loved working with sheep and loved lambing time, there was all the romance of the january night shift stuck in a freezing caravan surrounded by sheep. all people who work with livestock, in my opinion work bl++dy hard and are a credit to the way we farm in britain, but sheep always seemed to need something done to them most weeks. you havnt lived jordan unless you have had your border collie spew all over your truck because he has eaten most of the foot trimmings from the ewes as you were trimming their feet, and i wont even get started on dagging!!. there are people out there looking after very large flocks, some 2000+, so they might look at your 8 ewes and laugh a bit. keep your chin up jordan.

well, cheers for the advice guys and the motivation that most of you have given.

im not letting it put me off and i dont let it affect my workrate it just buggs me that is all.

you lot might think im a bad worker and that i give up and im really picky, but im a good hard working lad and all my bosses will tell you that, how do you think i get jobs, becouse i have had to give references on all my job applications and interviews and not one has been bad. they have all had areas where they thought i could improve but nothing bad.

cheers for the advice though guys

hello pingu, where are you in essex? i am in finchingfield on the essex/suffolk border.are you in this part of county or down south with the dagenham daves!!

I'm from and based just outside Colchester but farm from Gt Barfield to just outside Sudbury so from fair bit of the county :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: