2Nd Year Nd Agriculture Student Seeking Part/full Time Work

jordantaylor

hi guys

i am currently looking for a better job since not only myself but collegues are not getting treated very well at my current place of work. we are all struggling to get along with managment and are being overworked and seriously underpaid.

i am looking for work in the shropshire area due to travel and college commitments.

i have plenty of arable experience after working on units up to 7000+ acres. i know the basics of crop husbandry for a range of crops and have a decent amount of machinery knowlege. i have carted bales, muck, grain & root crops, ploughed, min tilled, spread muck, spread and injected slurry.

i have also done plenty of maual labour from rouging, strimming, painting right through to building and machinery maintainance.

stock tasks i have completed are milking, calving/lambing, disbudding, foot trimming, treating for various diseases, viruses ect... bedding down, cleaning out, for the last 5 months i have done plenty of calf rearing. i have also done allot of cubicle bed managment to reduce mastitis.

i have worked with dairy herds up to 400 milking and sheep flocks up 650.

i am used to working long hours and have worked up to 90 hour weeks. i am happy to do night shifts and enjoy what i do. i am very enthusiastic when it comes to doing jobs even the mucky ones.

i am looking for a role where i can gain more skills but also show what i am capable of.

my primary interest lies within the arable and dairy sectors of agriculture although i am keen to gain experiences elsewhere given the right oppertunity.

i am looking for a part time job (preferably with accomodation) fror up to 4 days a week (thursday-sunday) and full time during periods of half term and full time onwards for when i leave college at the end of june.

i am more than happy to send my cv to anybody interested in viewing it but if interested please contact me

email: jordantitchtaylor@hotmail.co.uk

thanks

jordan

hello jordan. if you can afford to, stick an add in the farmers weekly under the situations wanted section, you may just get a reply or two. sorry to hear you have had a s**t time in your job, as you sound like you are willing to have a go at anything.it wont do you any harm to change farms, when i left writtle college in essex i worked on several local farms, which is good as you use different makes of machinery and do the same sort of jobs but in a different way- this is how we gain our experience. meeting new people and other machines [sometimes smashing it up]is what gives us a story to tell on a wet august day sat in the workshop waiting for a break in the weather.hang in there mate, our industry needs people like you coming into it. rgds , chris. [the only way is essex]

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm going to be honest with you here Jordan, at your age I think to say you have plenty of experience in arable is an exaggeration, yes you have worked on arable units but I'm guessing that you have done the odd day here and there on the main tasks like ploughing and not done that day in day out. If I were to recieve a letter/cv from someone your age saying that I would think that you were being cocky and padding things out a little. It would be better to say that you have experience of working on large arable farms where you have tried your hand at most tasks (insert tasks here) but wish to find a position where you can gain more experience and improve your knowledge of the various operations that are carried out throughout the farming year, you stand more chance by being honest as the farming world is a small community at the end of the day and lies and boasts will soon come back to haunt you.

my how times change in my day manual work was stacking ??? thousand bales in the dutch barn cleaning out arround 200m2 of pig pen sleeping areas with the fork every two days, humping the feed sacking in to the feed hoppers on the older units

this lot was inbetween that" manual" list jordan has put up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i am sure something will turn up jordan, but remember the grass is not always greener on the otherside, sometimes you may just be better off sticking it out at the current place and see what happens, staff move on ,but so do managers ect,and from previous posts you seemed to enjoy it at the current place until all of a sudden

my how times change in my day manual work was stacking ??? thousand bales in the dutch barn cleaning out arround 200m2 of pig pen sleeping areas with the fork every two days, humping the feed sacking in to the feed hoppers on the older units

this lot was inbetween that" manual" list jordan has put up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i am sure something will turn up jordan, but remember the grass is not always greener on the otherside, sometimes you may just be better off sticking it out at the current place and see what happens, staff move on ,but so do managers ect,and from previous posts you seemed to enjoy it at the current place until all of a sudden

when i was a student, we had arable and pigs. we used to bale 10,000 small bales a year, with a massey 590 and massey baler with a man saver sledge. you can guess what my job was, yes stacking them into 13's ready for takeputs on the massey 135. in my last harvest as student gaffer bought a sambron and flat 8, and 48 bale squeezer and 8 bale sledge, i thought it was xmas!!! as students we all done s**t jobs, but that is par for the course, i wont even get started on grain store cleaning!! to be honest i loved it. i am 41 and still learning, and will until i fall of my perch. all people must remember is LIFE'S A JOURNEY, NOT A RACE. rgds , chris.

i agree with you all, i will be honest the main reason for me looking for a new job has nothing to do with the work as i am used to being treated like a student (given the more manual labour tasks) and i will put up with them but its my boss and his brother that are really getting too me.

i work along side another 17 year old and i am not bigging myself up or being cocky but i do the most work, i work the hardest and i have been told this by other work colegues (herdsman, contractors ect...). and still my boss and his brother treat him a hell of allot better than me, he gets paid slightly more and can get away with multiple mistakes. they are happy to chat to him on the yard and make me go and do work(which i have no problem with) but only if everybody pulls there own weight.

the current herdsman has only been at the farm for 2 months and has already said he wants to leave and has been for 2 job interviews, the old herdsman lasted 18 months and said to me when i started that id want to leave before too long.

you can ask my previous bosses what im like as a worker, and they were all pleased with my workrate and effort put into jobs. i just dont like to be taken for a ride. lied to in a job interview about how much id get paid and work id be doing.

im sure you guys can understand that. i have job offers for the summer from some big farms (arable & stock). but i am getting really fed up where i am so if i can find a better offer that could progress into a long term post i might aswell ask about to see if there is one available

when i was a student, we had arable and pigs. we used to bale 10,000 small bales a year, with a massey 590 and massey baler with a man saver sledge. you can guess what my job was, yes stacking them into 13's ready for takeputs on the massey 135. in my last harvest as student gaffer bought a sambron and flat 8, and 48 bale squeezer and 8 bale sledge, i thought it was xmas!!! as students we all done s**t jobs, but that is par for the course, i wont even get started on grain store cleaning!! to be honest i loved it. i am 41 and still learning, and will until i fall of my perch. all people must remember is LIFE'S A JOURNEY, NOT A RACE. rgds , chris.

just on this topic, the summer gone i worked the most out of all the students on my college course, i did the most manual labour, i probably learnt the most aswell

i was wild oat picking over 2500 acres of wheat and barley (250+hours of work) i hoovered and treated a 6000 tonne, 300 tonne and 500 tonne grain stores, i did strimming, knapsack spraying, decorating and other yard maintainance during and i did allot of grain carting. when i told my college mates about what id done they all said i was mad and they wouldnt do that...... says allot dosnt it about modern agriculture students but i feel that that is what farmers kids are like these days, not all but the majority get it easy

much the same chris, but the old mf80 loader only went so high in the ducth barn, over a 8 stack high it was all manual stacking, prob a similar number of bales to yourself ,quite often had stacks outside if the straw as good that year to ,now a telehandler gets pretty much all the way up

jordan its the same in most jobs with some getting preferental treatment to others, i have been working 24 years for bt now , only 2 or 3 guys left now more experianced than me in the yard , all due to retire soon to , yet i get passed over for young "golden child" prodigys ,cant type the name most of us older guys call them on here, when it comes to stuff ,get all the iffy jobs ect ,our perform them on our new productivity system(i run arround 150%, they average 50 - 60 % ) yet nothings said , despite me being told i need to improve???? just because you move jobs doesnt mean this treatment will stop, as chris said its all a journey on learning ,sometimes what your learing at the job far outweighs the agro that comes with it from above

much the same chris, but the old mf80 loader only went so high in the ducth barn, over a 8 stack high it was all manual stacking, prob a similar number of bales to yourself ,quite often had stacks outside if the straw as good that year to ,now a telehandler gets pretty much all the way up

jordan its the same in most jobs with some getting preferental treatment to others, i have been working 24 years for bt now , only 2 or 3 guys left now more experianced than me in the yard , all due to retire soon to , yet i get passed over for young "golden child" prodigys ,cant type the name most of us older guys call them on here, when it comes to stuff ,get all the iffy jobs ect ,our perform them on our new productivity system(i run arround 150%, they average 50 - 60 % ) yet nothings said , despite me being told i need to improve? ??? just because you move jobs doesnt mean this treatment will stop, as chris said its all a journey on learning ,sometimes what your learing at the job far outweighs the agro that comes with it from above

i agree fully, i have found with some of the jobs ive most disliked ive learnt the most.

i did all year round grading every week for JRO Griffiths and i couldnt stand it but i learnt allot about the handling of potatoes and i also got tought allot on potato store managment

where i am now i have learnt a hell of allot about cubicle bed managment and calf rearing even though i dont enjoy the workplace i enjoy learning new skills and being able to put them into action.

where i am now i have learnt a hell of allot about cubicle bed managmen

Does this mean you learn't how to use a scraper tractor and bed up!

Seriuosly though, do you think the main problem is you get bored easily? Have you not thought about a differnet line of enquiries - engineering, agronomy, machinery sales etc

i wouldnt be doing farm work if i didnt enjoy it and no i dont get bored easily.

as i have said though, i dont enjoy being taken for a ride, lied to, being seriously underpaid (im not even getting paid anything near the anual minimun) and i have to pay for car insurance fuel costs ect....

and dont forget its not just me who wants to leave, there are 3 of us, so if you think it is bordem being the reason then it must be a boring place of work for all 3 of us to get bored

Sorry to hear about your plight Jordan.

Although I must say Agriculture in any form is a difficult, underpaid and thankless job!

Its is the ability to stick at a job (especially when you don't like it) that will set you apart from the crowd when the time really matters!

Just keep your head down, work hard, keep up the good work gaining qualifications and tickets and doors will eventually open.

Are you there on apprenticeship terms or as a normal employee as there are loopholes relating to students/work placements/apprenticeships meaning they can be paid under the minimum wage as unfair as it is, if thats not the case then get out and speak to the relevant authorities about it. One more tip, don't make posts on facebook or similar slating employers, things have ways of getting back to them.

Are you there on apprenticeship terms or as a normal employee as there are loopholes relating to students/work placements/apprenticeships meaning they can be paid under the minimum wage as unfair as it is, if thats not the case then get out and speak to the relevant authorities about it. One more tip, don't make posts on facebook or similar slating employers, things have ways of getting back to them.

very good advice gav

Agriculture is a way of life not a job.... None of my generation in the family have gone into the agricultural or livestock market because you can’t go into it for the money as you won’t ever be rich doing that type of work...

you will have a flippin good quality of life, fresh air and job satisfaction just chuff all cash...

I do agree with you that if you don’t enjoy working there you should move... and do wish you all the best in looking, but you also sound slightly ahead of yourself and overly confident in a sector which true you are more likely to be better on the machines than the older guys, but they have the knowledge of how things are.

I can give you a prime example. I design buildings, I can use the CAD software quick as, but until I'd sat there with a drawing board and pen and learnt the old school ways from the older generation my cockyness with speed actually made me look a fool to people because I didnt know the basics. But I thought I was great.. I'm just alluding to if you say I can do I can do, the older generation will just catch you out. I think Sean or Marky wrote about CV's and how to write them at some point. I personally thought their comments were really good and you should have a read and possibly temper your CV in line with their comments. I'm sure people will look at it for you if you ask and give you advice...

You may very well be good at everything, but until you prove it especially to the more mature you kinda have to brown nose and that will get you the job.

I know when my dad employs his farmhands he employs on referances and actual interview, qualifications mean jack, but first off you have to write a cv that shows you have skill, but vision. A farming referance is also a must.

if everyone involved in farming was doing it for money, there would be no one in the buisiness, its a vocation. the satisfaction at harvest or when stock moves of the farm when you see all of your efforts come to fruition [hopefully] makes up for the poor wages. but saying that, some farms do pay well, with plenty of overtime.

i understand there is not allot of money in farming as ive seen first hand how places of work and especially college have struggled and are currently struggling.

i would just like to earn enough to be comfortable as at the moments im having to seriously penny pinch. and i do enjoy seing an end prodeuct and being able to say that i contributed to that.

i feel really good knowing that the calves and young heffiers at work at the moment are all as good as they are mainly due to my rearing skills. but i must not forget that my boss taught me that and i really respect him for that as there are not many people prepared to take the time to teach us younger farm workers. id just like to at least be treated with a touch of respect for the work i do even if im not currently paid allot, it would certainly make me more comfortable and happier at work than feeling used