Oakley Estate Farms

Harvest Log Day 18

First up the lorries for spuds first thing this morning

post-2769-0-29976300-1439918702_thumb.jp post-2769-0-96546700-1439918715_thumb.jp post-2769-0-42094600-1439918731_thumb.jp

Then back on combining to finish at Osbornes, we will be back out this way later in the season for Tony House and Parsonage, by 2pm we have moved back on our own land at Atherstone, 271 acres to mop up here, not good yields as it was late drilled behind spuds last year when it turned wet, hammered by compaction and some was drilled with power harrow combi's. Wheat is coming in thick and fast now we are back local, topped into pit 1, tickled through the dryer and overhead into store 1 which is now filling up nicely. We also have our lorries running from Orchard farm bringing in their wheat for drying and storage, this is tipped into pit 2 which fills the 2 150t wet bins for drying overnight when we finish combining, keeps everything ticking and running without holding anyone up. More rain forcast tomorrow so hope to push on tonight, hopefully cloud will come in keeping the dew away.

post-2769-0-94792700-1439919258_thumb.jp post-2769-0-65490100-1439919442_thumb.jp post-2769-0-77385300-1439919543_thumb.jp post-2769-0-35734500-1439919592_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Harvest Log Day 18

First up the lorries for spuds first thing this morning

Then back on combining to finish at Osbornes, we will be back out this way later in the season for Tony House and Parsonage, by 2pm we have moved back on our own land at Atherstone, 271 acres to mop up here, not good yields as it was late drilled behind spuds last year when it turned wet, hammered by compaction and some was drilled with power harrow combi's. Wheat is coming in thick and fast now we are back local, topped into pit 1, tickled through the dryer and overhead into store 1 which is now filling up nicely. We also have our lorries running from Orchard farm bringing in their wheat for drying and storage, this is tipped into pit 2 which fills the 2 150t wet bins for drying overnight when we finish combining, keeps everything ticking and running without holding anyone up. More rain forcast tomorrow so hope to push on tonight, hopefully cloud will come in keeping the dew away.

Oh dear the Dutchies from Texel. Be careful. ;D

• Like 1

Thank you Pat, its bulk grain from Brushwood, the colour is a bit light for my liking but im impressed with the texture and how it mounds up in the store, not like the rape which runs a bit like water, its also very light which is ideal against my panels, im slightly worried about my rape store with the sheer weight pressure against the dividing wall, seems to be holding ok so far.

Nice updates Alex, this time of years hectic if you,re growing cereals and potatoes, then as soon as the straws cleared in with the tillage equipment, you really pray for the weather to be on your side which it just hasn't been here now for the 2nd year in a row. With such small windows of opportunity it really does take the best of machinery and it all working reliably. A cereal grower beside me always says " I can do nothing about the weather but if its a good day and a machine breaks down then I haven't been doing my job of seeing to it and maintaining it on the wet days"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to say that Alex is ill at the moment hence his silence on here id like to wish him a speedy recovery hope to have him back on here soon. Get well soon buddy from all at manor contracting

Get well soon Alex! Lot of rain in your neck of the woods?

Get well soon Alex .

thanks again chaps, rain has been heavy when it comes and is in downpours so its stop start grab what you can when you can, would like to think we can finish the wheat the otherside of the weekend and get all rape drilled up, rolled and pre ems on before we start the on the spring beans

I recently seen a huge bale accummulator behind a Hesston baler Alex, i think it carried 5 or maybe 6 bales, was a bit far away, but thought of your CTF and maybe this would be a solution to your previously mentioned bale problem, maybe someone has already mentioned this option

• Like 1

I certainly think if we are to continue with baling this amount of bales a Hesston baler would better suit us. At the moment the chaser is working a treat but the limiting factor is the number of bales it can carry, x2 layers of quadrants. If we used Hesstons which will fit the chaser to at least we would be clearing more ground with one load. At this time with prices and farming practices the future of straw baling at Oakley is un certain, something that will be looked and talked about with my buyer.