Maize

David Brown

Maize is the least of our worries or any of our neighbours at the moment as two of them and ourselves still have potatoes to get in. One of our other neighbours drilled some maize on Wednesday but that was straight into stubble as he uses a strip tilling machine

be patient on getting the maize in. soil temperature needs to be around 12 degrees c for it to germinate, and it doesnt like sitting in wet ground, as it will rot. we have only got about 4 acres for our shoot to put in, but our biggest worry with the way the weather is in essex at the moment is having a late hard frost, which will wipe it out in one night. a neighbour of ours grows 100 acres for his dairy herd, and over the years i have seen him plant maize in the first week of june due to a wet spring, and come mid august it looks great. i am more concerned that we have the best looking wheat for years, and the t1 spray should have been on 2 weeks ago. what a difference a year makes!!.

Maize is the least of our worries or any of our neighbours at the moment as two of them and ourselves still have potatoes to get in. One of our other neighbours drilled some maize on Wednesday but that was straight into stubble as he uses a strip tilling machine

Are people in your area planting less because of the drought this year Gav?

Not that it matters a lot but here in Holland it very much depends how much maize has been drilled. At a rough guess i'd say that in the North 75% has probably been drilled and 50% in the South.

Edited by Niels

Are people in your area planting less because of the drought this year Gav?

Not that it matters a lot but here in Holland it very much depends how much maize has been drilled. At a rough guess i'd say that in the North 75% has probably been drilled and 50% in the South.

We're actually planting more potatoes this year to be able to fill the new store up (which is 4 weeks behind schedule due to the rain!) but have dropped the carrots this year, neighbours seem to be growing as many as usual as well.

We're actually planting more potatoes this year to be able to fill the new store up (which is 4 weeks behind schedule due to the rain!) but have dropped the carrots this year, neighbours seem to be growing as many as usual as well.

Ok well I was reading story's on BFF that people cut back their acreage because if they can't irrigate it properly they won't have to grow any. I think similar amounts grown in Holland (a steady decline as ever) and about 5/10% less onions due to the prices.