harvest mishaps.....?

weblet375

hi all ,as i dive my lorry around the country ive seen lots of fields with deep ruts when machines get stuck.seen a couple of trailers in up to the axles.also combines at the headland with side panels up and fitters van near by.just wondered if people had any such problems.cheers andy..

Edited by weblet375

We've had a few......

1) Hydraulic pump gave up on the combine.....came to the end of the run in a field with it and the steering locked solid and lost all hydraulic function, 15 minutes later I would have been on the road so lucky escape

2) Main drive belt snapped on combine, lost 24 hours replacing it as every other belt and guard had to come off to get at it!!

3) Harvest student turned in too tight at junction with trailer despite plenty of tuition and hit flint wall around churchyard, he's no longer allowed to take trailers on road.

4) Lift arm mounting clevis snapped off McConnel topper while student was travelling to field, seems to have been speed related after following him up the road the next day with it!!

5) Hydraulic hose burst on baler out of sight of tractor, luckily it stripped some net off the bale at about the same time so I had to walk round back of baler and noticed it or tractor would have been drained.

6) Lots of round bales (400) with centres hot enough to bake a spud in after being baled when too damp or too much green straw despite my objections about doing so!

I ran the forklift out of fuel while staching straw. Only because its italain and in true italian style when the gauge says its got 1/4 of a tank left its empty.

What a mistake-a to a make-a! :laugh:

Edited by CMB
  • Like 2

Nothing too major spotted during harvest, although the tractor driver responsible for the first three photos will be more wary of soft verges in future. The next two look like open heart surgery on a CX880, and in the last two the field must have loved the combine (mentioning no names - I learned that lesson last year!) that harvested it soooo much that after ploughing and a rainy day it turned a matching colour.

It just needs some dandelions to complete the colour match. ;) ;) ;)

/m.

post-1591-0-62089800-1345892213_thumb.jp

post-1591-0-89807000-1345892224_thumb.jp

post-1591-0-16073900-1345892237_thumb.jp

post-1591-0-24837100-1345892246_thumb.jp

post-1591-0-67141600-1345892253_thumb.jp

post-1591-0-11231300-1345892267_thumb.jp

post-1591-0-44756500-1345892278_thumb.jp

our new class combine it is more than a joke how many call outs we had

some of the problems

spout ram,

2 gear boxes

sensor on reel

sensor on spout

yeild monating not working

gps would not work

laser polit does not work and dont know what wrong with it

still a noise in the back end and dont know what it is

plus a lot more over 12 call out so far

not good for a new combine

our new class combine it is more than a joke how many call outs we had

some of the problems

spout ram,

2 gear boxes

sensor on reel

sensor on spout

yeild monating not working

gps would not work

laser polit does not work and dont know what wrong with it

still a noise in the back end and dont know what it is

plus a lot more over 12 call out so far

not good for a new combine

Coxy, what model of Claas is that?

back window smashed whilst baling

electrics (clutch) on massey 6265 and 6465 needed certain cables replacing

new hydraulic pump on mf 6465

one of the dairy lads bent the new kuhn rake after it had only done 40 acres and never said anything

main ram on marshall muck spreader kept twisting when trying the bring the door back so the door only came back half way, that was out of action for 2 days while the guys from the local dealer came to fix it

kids from local estates have been cutting netwrap of round bales and rolling them out over the feilds and into the ditches, we have been having to work very late some nights just to get the bales cleared before the kids get to them

contractors combine has broken down twice

mf 168 radiator has blown 3 times after being overworked pulling tandem trailers carting bales

and we still have a long way to go before this mad season is over , plenty more cereals, silage and still the maize to do yet

Edited by jordantaylor

Tractor round at work (won't say what make or model but one of the bigger ones) needed a bearing in the gearbox, something on the raditor and it's cab suspension sorting out. And a new tyre for the from. That was an expensive week

The exhaust on our Massey broke off, on our way to pick up some silage bales this morning. luckily a friend was driving past and saw us with the bonnet off and stopped, he has just been given a new works van with inbuilt generator so he welded it back on. ^-^

During the dry spell we took the combine out and cut some spring barley but got bogged twice with our 12 tonne Dooley trailer! Our friend had to come and pull the trailer out of the field the first time with a John Deere but the second time when we were pulling the trailer out onto the road it got bogged in the gate way and nothing could get in or out! Yet again our friend came along with the JD and pulled us out but the 2 incidents made an awful mess on the road leaving me to clean it up with a sweeping brush!

• 2 weeks later...

750 on tracks

we are not the only ones heard for 3 other new claas combine in essex with major problem 1 had to get a new engine other new gear boxs claas are loseing a good name

a farmer in the village here in essex took delivery of his brand spanking new 770 tt with a 40 foot table this spring. the combine has been a complete dog, and due to break downs, they have already lost 10, yes 10 combining days this harvest, and they still have a lot to do. claas were so embarrased that they gave him a brand new 750 for free to use to catch up, but the word around here is that it is going in the winter. a case will be coming next year, a brand that the claas replaced this year on the farm. claas are seemingly loosing the plot a bit lately.

• 1 month later...

Here is my little bit of bad luck this summer.

No one told me that the overgrown gateway was infact a rather narrow bridge!

Was too close to one side and as the back wheel went over the edge of the bridge gave way. Luckily the mower resting on the ground and leaning against the tree stoped the tractor going any further. Couldn't get myself out as the mower was wedged on the ground and when i tried lifting it the back wheel came up further. Another tractor and chain soon had me out backwards with no damage caused thankfully

I've sent the pics to Classic Tractor, wonder if it will make it into the back pages?

post-293-0-84531400-1351980782_thumb.jpg

post-293-0-83977300-1351980833_thumb.jpg

Not being smart, but had some close calls with getting stuck, but never actually needed the chain! Broke a chopper belt and had to swath for two days - got quite a few extra bales :-

Cracked the main plough beam bouncing over ruts.

Not being smart, but had some close calls with getting stuck, but never actually needed the chain! Broke a chopper belt and had to swath for two days - got quite a few extra bales :-

Cracked the main plough beam bouncing over ruts.

Had the same situation with our combine John, in the end I kept it in second gear in the wet fields so I could get out of any wet bits quicker.

Is that a Kv plough that you have there?

Spent all summer trying to keep baler out of wet holes, only got bogged once. Main one for me was about a month ago when alot of the roads got colsed because of the flooding. Took me 3 hours to get home in tractor and I ended up in the middle of Thirsk at half 3 (school home time). Queing inm traffic and somehow i ended up running into back of a car and my band carrier on front went through the car back window. Only just touched it but my pride was hurt. ha ha! Think the hundreds on young lasses coming out of school had nothing do with distracting me causing this to happen :)

• Like 1