Massey Ferguson 600 Series - Model and the Real Deal

Having set up a similar thread for the larger 2000 series Massey Ferguson tractors comparing their miniature counterparts to the real machines i'd photographed I thought i'd do the same for the 600 series. Particularly given the imminent arrival of a model that has courted many concerned comments in recent times on the forum. Universal Hobbies representation of the Massey Ferguson 690.

Some will no doubt completely loathe the model, other ardent collectors will accept it and there will be those select few magicians prepared to butcher and decapitate the ugly duckling and turn it into a swan.

Without further ado and before I pass my own final judgement on UH's efforts at miniaturising the smaller 690 here's four "home brewed" converted models of the 699.

Starting with my own Britains based PDC conversion.

P1130772_zpsf57128b9.jpg

Sean Pullen's ( Tractorman810 ) example on display at Spalding a couple of years ago.

DSC06633_zps1bc74603.jpg

Johny MF's rowcrop wheel equipped conversion seen on display at Zwolle last year.

P11303031_zps3050afde.jpg

Martin Reeve's example.

P1160113_zps9164c0a1.jpg

• Like 1

Lastly from my own photographic archives a 4wd 698 with retro fitted turbo followed by a very tidy 698T I found at York machinery sale.

IMG600300_0003_zps8cb995c9.jpg

P1030932_zpsbb8db7e1.jpg

Whilst here's a 699 with matching Massey Ferguson reversible plough that my Dad photographed back in the '80s.

IMG600300_0004_zpsc2a4af0a.jpg

• Like 1

another great topic david,the 698 with the mf drill is a cracker of a picture

Thanks Paul, appreciated. I've been thinking about doing another model / real deal thread for a while now it was just deciding which manufacturer and tractor range to cover. The 698 I discovered on drilling duties earlier in the year was easily one of my favourite classic working tractors i've photographed all year. :)

If anyone else has any 600 series model related photographs / brochures or pictures of the real machines to post, the more the merrier. :)

my 690 convo from a while back,never got round to making another sadly

Very nice Sean. Looks great in amonsgt the rest of your scratchbuilt kit down at Ash Tree. :)

no problem david,another great topic you do,nice to see the real thing and its model ,something a bit different

Thanks Paul, appreciated. I might put something together on the 500 series next. I've quite a large selection of photographs of the real machines that i'm fairly certain covers all of the model numbers offered for sale in the UK. I'm only missing tractors from the continent such as the 592.

Great topic david.. The 600 series and 2000 series were very popular were i grew up so hold lots of memorys. I for 1 will snap up a uh690 even with the dodgey bonnet. Perhaps you could start a regular feature and do the 500's and 100 series.

well if you do david i done a red cab 590 conversion so will look forward to that

I'll aim to have something put together Paul in the not too distant future.

Great topic david.. The 600 series and 2000 series were very popular were i grew up so hold lots of memorys. I for 1 will snap up a uh690 even with the dodgey bonnet. Perhaps you could start a regular feature and do the 500's and 100 series.

Thanks Pete, appreciated and great to hear these two topics have brought lots of memories for you. I'm definitely going to look towards setting up a thread on the 500 series. I could certainly look towards doing something on the "Red Giants" too. I've photographed quite a few variations of them over the last dozen years or more. I do have a few more themed topics including other tractor manufacturer themes. Watch this space.

Just discovered another 600 series machine lurking in my photographic archives that I found in 2009. This loader equipped 690 that once resided at a garden centre near York.

DSC042031_zpsce2d2a6a.jpg

looking at the 690 that g&m are showing on their website the bonnet doesnt look half as bad i think now that they have put the correct wheels on its fine the pictures i had seen are the same ones that mf use in there catalogue www.masseyshop.com

Edited by tractortim

looking at the 690 that g&m are showing on their website the bonnet doesnt look half as bad i think now that they have put the correct wheels on its fine the pictures i had seen are the same ones that mf use in there catalogue www.masseyshop.com

I'm certainly fascinated to see the model "in the flesh" and out of the box Tim. I'll wait until then before I make any decision on adding it to my collection. :)

Lovely topic, I like these real versus model topics :)

I expect over this week I'll find a few photos of 600 series Masseys too ;)

Thanks ever so much Tris, appreciate your kind comments. Likewise i've enjoyed setting these topics up for everyone to contribute their own photographs and models towards. When further time allows i'd certainly like to set up a few more similar types of topics. Looking forward to seeing any photographs you have. :)

Forgot to say, the drilling photo is a corker. Yes these do make good topics. When i get to redecalling a few models and making a few modifications to one or two I'd like to start a similar topic for machines i have driven :)

Thanks ever so much Tris, I had a fantastic time photographing the 698 in action earlier in the year. Whilst it was a little bit on the misty side when I arrived the fog had cleared enough for the Sun to peak through and make it all the more worthwhile.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your own topic too Tris, sounds great. :)

Here's a few more of the 698 in action spring drilling.

P1140177_zpsb64e9e3c.jpg

P1140185_zps606538a7.jpg

P1140186_zps169114d0.jpg

P1140208_zps58adf341.jpg

• 4 months later...

No problem at all Paul, the more 600 series photographs (both model and real deal) the merrier in this thread. You've certainly made a very good job of this conversion and the tractor now looks much more like the full size example I photographed at the Cheffins sale at Harrogate. :)