A lucky find

super6

I went to Sandown Park toy fair yesterday and was lucky enough to buy this rarity. The trader bought it from a member of the public about an hour before I purchased it, he had put it out to try and make a quick profit on it, no sale would have seen it going to an auction house somewhere. My parents had seen it and asked me if I had as we were just leaving, this necessitated a search of the trade stands to find it. It was not out when I looked at his stall. Enough waffle..............

steering wheel a little bent, rear wheels are suffering the usual wheel melt  

IMG_2492.jpg

pre cleaner and exhaust are repro ones

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

original white seat and pin

IMG_2497.jpg

linkage all fine

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

a bit played with and no cab, trailer or box  : but almost as rare as hens teeth 

yes I know one of the rear tyres is on the wrong way round  ::) 

with its driver, to be replaced at some point....

IMG_2507.jpg

what it is replacing. A well played with example, it now has white rear wings as these were broken when bought, blue lift lever as missing/broken and a white seat from a 135, best I could do  ::)  I think the grill came from the same 5000 as the other parts, can't remember  ;)

IMG_2510.jpg

together

IMG_2513.jpg

ever such a slight improvement on the first version you had paul, looks like a nice find, all be it prob a bit more expensive than most of us would want to pay

Just edges it in the paint department doesn't it. More than I wanted to pay as well  ::) 

you lucky ********* , that is one of the few britains models missing in my collection, they definately are rare and pricey normally!

They are out there though, yours hasn't found you yet  :) 

Now that you've found this one Paul you can keep it as it is and now restore your old one.

I couldn't possibly do that, it's a very well played with toy and would lose all its charm and, to me, value, but not in a financial sense though. I'm going to offer this to a fellow collector on the condition that he does not restore it either  ;) 

I had the opportunity to buy one of these about ten or so years ago, all in for £350 I believe. Complete with cab and trailer but not a lot of paint..........very well played with. I still have the bruises now  :lol:

Fantastic Find there Paul, Well done.

Does anybody know how many of these were made ??

Not many that's for sure. Not listed in any of the catalogues I have (1964 trade and 1965 and 1966 customer) The yellow E1A Major version(s) was(were) released in 1964 and deleted end of 1965 to be replaced by the blue 5000 Super Major, as listed in the 1966 customer catalogue. I think it was only available for a few months at most  1965 to 1966, possibly as a stop gap model when they stopped production of the E1A Major................. or until they realised that the catalogue showed a blue model  ::) 

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice find there mate, well done.

I am sure there are a few out there waiting to be found, thats what makes this hobby so good.

I am enjoying collecting again after selling a lot of nice models in the past and many are coming in at half the money I was paying in the early 2000s.

Archived