Anybody using it, then?

I've signed up but not too sure what to do with it! The reason I signed up is because it seems a lot of companies now use it and some which do are of interest to me so I thought I'd give it a go.

Anybody else using it and why?

Yeah I know what you mean, Pat!! I've made one Tweet and it has been ReTweeted so I guess that means like cut ans paste so all the people that that person follows can see it? It's all double dutch to me! :D

It's quite useful and handy for news and information, but can be a colossal time waster! Model Farmer is on there and for any farmers follow #agrichatuk or #clubhectare.

What I like so far is you get no or very little crap posted like you do on facebook such as 1,000,000 Likes and my Mon says I can have a puppy. For a start, it's Mum not Mom!! ::)

From others experiences I myself think that this 'social media' thing like Twitter and Facebook are in the main a complete wast of time. Anyone can 'see' you and follow you on it, it's like an 'open' diary. What's wrong with normal communications like actually speaking with your friends, phoning them, email or text? I stay away from it as I like a certain amount of privicy and personal security. You might say that we here 'talking' to each other and discussing everything is the same sort of thing but it's different in that we all have a more commonly shared interest rather than telling everyone what time you got out of bed,  went to the toilet and what you had for breakfast.

I have found Twitter a fantastic medium for making all sort of contacts, following the latest news, see what company's are up to. Possibilities are endless! I only follow useful people. Not people that chuck their whole life story onto it.

Facebook... Not my favourite.

I can apreciate the concept and the benefits that it has for those that are on and use it but it's just not my bag but it seems that for some it's an obsession, there are enough details on individuals on the computer if you know where to look without them having to self broadcast it to the world and there is always the dark side, that's what worries me the most, especially those that follow your conversations that you know nothing of, it's like being stalked, that would give me the creeps. Do we really know who our 13 year old Daughters are chatting to?

Most of what you said in your first post, Tim I thought exactly the same before I joined Facebook. I am due another cull of people who irritate me too actually, which tend to be stay at home Mums! Updates like "Anyone know when the chemist opens?" or "I've got a headache, need sleep". Also, two sayings - Nom Nom and Good Times. Christ they get on my ****!!

However, the mucking about people do on there in the name of having a laugh can be at times, brilliant. Photos, places, goings on, all can be interesting. Basically, take the Pleased, Sad, Annoyed, Laugh and Doing topics here, add a few work topics and put it all in one place under one heading and you have Facebook. For me, it suits what I like to do to kill a bit of time and look beyond my garden gate so to speak. I still talk to people in person or over the phone most days. However what irritates me about the 'In your face aspect of Facebook are the suggestions of pages or people you may like, the guilt trip posts of cancer patients, rape victims, beaten children and so on with the caption Like = You Care, Ignore = You have no soul, or something which is nothing more than a selfish, egotistical, popularity push by the sad bugger who posted it up.

I'm hoping Twitter is different and although I have found one or two bods on there so far, I'm primarily interested in the media over the social aspect and one or two 'bloggers' like comedians and so on. So, Scania, JCB, Commercial Motor, Jason Manford, Stephen Fry, BBC Wiltshire, Barry Stunt..... Eh? How did he slip through the net!! You get what I mean though.

A good friend of mine who is an agricultural fitter and other main interest such as, we'll cal them Country persuits, and Land Rover, often logs into his Facebook page on my computer when he comes to visit me 2 or 3 evenings a week and he's 'talking' to people he sees on a regular basis which seems to me rather a waste of time. The only positive thing I can see in this instance are some of the good pictures they post up but on the other hand, who wants to see a drunken crowd in a party with their rather short dresses up around their backsides with their legs apart?

each to their own with social media from me. i personally dont use twitter or face book but the mrs does. i really cant be bothered to tell the world i have just put the maschio power harrow on the tractor- the grease on my hands wouldnt do my blackberry phone much good for a start!! as others have said, social media is great for some things. my wife uses it to get in contact with past friends and following celebs etc. i think it is a great way to tell the world where you are and what your doing, in other words my house is empty so come and help yourself!! another down side is people can slander and bully other people and get away with it, especially children who might be on the outside of the 'in' crowd at school. another great bit of technology is google earth, who hasnt used it, its brilliant. but on the downside, anyone wanting to find a back track into a farmyard to nick your equipment can now do so without having to drive around the countryside to do a reconosance mission. if the satelites fall out the sky one day, no one will know what anyone is doing and all the tractors with gps will be in the ditch, WHAT WILL WE ALL DO!! :of as i said, i am not on twitter or facebook, but for anyone thats interested, i have got one on the tail lift and i am now going for a dump!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived