3cyl or 4cyl ?

MF-ROB

Well guys looking for some info on MF35's I see 3cyl and 4cyl for sale I've my eye on at 4 cyl one for not bad money but just want to know which is best would be using it for work and play looking for it to pull a 2f rev plough, harrowing also a mate has a Class 3 drum mower that I would like to buy off him so would like it to drive that aswell I would be doing a full over hall on the tractor so just need some words of wisdom off you please :)

Personally I'd avoid the 4cyls as they are notoriously bad starters, and they generally go for less money.

Why are they bad starters is there not something you can do to make them better?

Where's Marky when you need him? ;D

If memory serves, the 4cyls are indirect and 3 cyls direct. I think they are not too bad when new but as compression is lost, injectors wear and port reduces in size they become worse. I think 3cyl is slightly bigger cc but  power about the same. As far as I know wheelbase the same.

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along in a minute. :-X

Have heard the fact they are bad starters also,

Have also been told that the 3 cyl is more pokey with the 4 cyl being abit sluggish

Where's Marky when you need him? ;D

If memory serves, the 4cyls are indirect and 3 cyls direct. I think they are not too bad when new but as compression is lost, injectors wear and port reduces in size they become worse. I think 3cyl is slightly bigger cc but  power about the same. As far as I know wheelbase the same.

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along in a minute. :-X

Thanks for your help Jack and John looks like if I was going for the 4cyl i would need to do a engine overhall to make sure I wouldnt have any probs with starting. 

From what I have read with the 4cyl they are either dogs to start if you get a bad one or the dogs if you get a good one.

Personally I prefer the 3cyl, or even 35x. However the 4cyl aren't bad lookers either. Good starter classic I assume, and could do some ploughing matches with it as you can tow it with a 4x4.

can try and ask marky via facebook for advice if you want, hes always on there ,, do wonder if you may be bettter with a 100 series mf of some sort?? 135 or 165, little more guts for the mower if you buy it?? parts like the 35's are easy enough to come by to

I have a 4 cylinder fergy, i wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder as they are a bugger start I havnt been able to start mine since about 6-7 months ago! You can either get a good one or a bad one so I would go for a 3 cylinder as I think their Perkins slightly more reliable I think!

If you want a 35 pay the extra and get a 35X, the three cylinder Perkins is far superior to the 4cylinder Standard engine. As has already been said the Standard engines are notoriously bad starters, but one fix is to replace the cylinder head with one from an Allis Chalmers ED40, as these had a heater plug in each cylinder as oppposed to the Ferguson which only had one in the manifold.

Andrew

If you want a 35 pay the extra and get a 35X, the three cylinder Perkins is far superior to the 4cylinder Standard engine. As has already been said the Standard engines are notoriously bad starters, but one fix is to replace the cylinder head with one from an Allis Chalmers ED40, as these had a heater plug in each cylinder as oppposed to the Ferguson which only had one in the manifold.

Andrew

this is the only way to improve the starting even with a full rebuild they still dont start that great as for wheel base there both the same. and as for the mower you wont have sufficent power for it youll need at least 50hp anda hydraulic service to drive it so its 165 territory im afraid!

Archived