A trip from Aberdeen to Orkney by boat to view the Island

BC

I'm not sure if this is the mot appropriate place for this topic since it includes old farm buildings and museums in the historic Island of Orkney but it can be moved as necessary,

I set sail from Aberdeen at 5pm on Thursday and docked at the capital of the mainland Kirkwall just after 11pm and thankfully it was a calm crossing and did not suffer from sea sickness.

First some photos from Aberdeen Harbour with is now mostly the stopping point for the Orkney and Shetland ferries and oils supply vessels.

P1060516_zps1a79208d.jpg

P1060517_zpsee38131e.jpg

P1060518_zpsb154cb59.jpg

P1060519_zps69dbc939.jpg

P1060520_zps404920d2.jpg

P1060521_zps2009b344.jpg

After spending the night and having breakfast at the St Ola Hotel overlooking Kirkwall harbour I decided to have a look around the harbour before I started my tour of the island.

P1060551_zps1dab2e78.jpg

P1060552_zps4ed9586a.jpg

P1060553_zpsf5a867b8.jpg

P1060554_zps9dae3be6.jpg

P1060555_zpse644837b.jpg

P1060556_zpse9b81006.jpg

P1060566_zps7686242d.jpg

P1060567_zpsc1cbfdc2.jpg

P1060568_zpsb3dd85fe.jpg

P1060569_zps119c8c03.jpg

This fooled me into thinking it was fertilizer. I later found out from 8footmower aka John Moar on here it was not fertilizer in these tonne baga at all. Anyone wish to guess what it was and why sucn a large crew on a small old car ferry??

P1060571_zps18ac6051.jpg

P1060572_zps2be6997e.jpg

Very interesting somewhere I've always wanted to go, keep them coming. As for your boat I can only but throw a wild guess, could it be something precious and the large crew for protection. Or is the large crew just to aid loading and unloading at remote areas of something like manure? The John Deere tractor is quite dolled up too making me think that whatever's on the boat isn't from a farm ?

Some very nice pictures Bill hope you enjoyed Orkney.

The bags are for the salmon cages I would think, looks like a fish farm tender see plenty of them if we are delayed in Shetland.

Some good pictures of Aberdeen Harbor recognize quite a few of the boats including the Seawell which is a light intervention vessel that has been up here recently working on a subsea well.

Very interesting somewhere I've always wanted to go, keep them coming. As for your boat I can only but throw a wild guess, could it be something precious and the large crew for protection. Or is the large crew just to aid loading and unloading at remote areas of something like manure? The John Deere tractor is quite dolled up too making me think that whatever's on the boat isn't from a farm ?

I would recommend the trip James ... nice place ...nice crack and friendly folk with a great accent 8)

Some very nice photo's there Bill,with some interesting scenery and old equipment,and even nice weather,I've no idea what might be in the bags,?? but did you get more shots of this under water turbine,

P1060563_zpsf2178771.jpg

Regards

Joe.

I'm afraid not Joe and that was a hard hat area and although I would have have rigger and high Vis vest in my car I don't do a Norman and carry a hard hat with me ;D  ;D  ;D

Some very nice pictures Bill hope you enjoyed Orkney.

The bags are for the salmon cages I would think, looks like a fish farm tender see plenty of them if we are delayed in Shetland.

Some good pictures of Aberdeen Harbor recognize quite a few of the boats including the Seawell which is a light intervention vessel that has been up here recently working on a subsea well.

So far so good Rob..in fact a great part of the UK and I now wish I had booked a longer stay ...anyway spot on with what the bags are for as John Moar aka 8footmower on here told me when I visited him yesterday afternoon and ended up staying there for over 8 hours....many thanks for showing me around and the hospitality from you and your folks John.

Ive always fancied going to the Islands but dont know if the boat and I would get along.

You see some random stuff at Aberdeen Harbour. Wooden Sailing boats, A JD 3x50 sat at Northlinks terminal for ages, aswell as some random burnt out thing. All the weird and wonderful stuff going to the Rigs/abroad.

For those who dont know that fancy new tower at Aberdeen is VTS. There was a tv program at the end of last year that documented the "average" goings on.

They didnt tell you that ones of the quays is like fort knox.

Archived