Farm Journal -Cider Hill Farms

CCF

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like in most situations, the weather before a large storm is usually better than normal. This week before the large snow storm, we experienced this situation, in which the temperature rose to nearly 20 degrees. While the weather was nice, we could only do so much on the farm, as half of the ground was still frozen, and the other half mud. As we are expecting out excavator to return from the Caterpillar dealer within the next week, we decided to do a few jobs around the pond that could not be done with the excavator. Now that these jobs are done, it will be much easier to finish digging the pond when the excavator comes back from service and repair. Below are some pictures of how me made use of our warm spring day.

In order to expand the pond more towards the grass field, Martin moved the pile of dirt over to the larger pile:

IMG_2503.jpg

Driving towards the pile:

IMG_2504.jpg

Dumping the dirt into the pile:

IMG_2505.jpg

Meanwhile, Dave is filling in some of the corners of the pond with the IH backhoe. Last May, the pond filled up from all of the rain showers, and flooded parts of the grass field. Before the middle of April roles in, the goal of the farm is to make sure that the pond will not flood when the spring rain starts:

IMG_2506.jpg

Dumping a load of dirt into the corners of the pond:

IMG_2508.jpg

After Martin finished moving the dirt pile, he pushed back the dirt pile several feet towards the woods, making it easier for larger vehicles to drive on the road to the right of the pond. Marky is grading down the area recently drove on by the skid steer:

IMG_2509.jpg

Finishing a pass:

IMG_2510.jpg

Meanwhile, the evil Bazza is beginning to pay off his large debt to the farm by cleaning up the piles of dirt that Marky graded off to the side. The farm owner and several police have been monitoring the evil Bazza all day:

IMG_2511.jpg

Dumping the dirt into a pile:

IMG_2512.jpg

The farm managed to finish all of their tasks by 6pm. They parked the farm machinery off to the side of the pond for the night, knowing that they would most likely be using it again the next day before the snow began:

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

Hate to say it, but that's all for this week folks!

Today, we ripped up some new ground for fields in the spring. Hopefully if all goes well, we will be adding manure to this field in two weeks.

Driving down the main road from the center of town to the farm with the tracked tractor and ripper. We are bringing the tractor back from it's servicing at the local John Deere dealer at around 1pm when there are no cars about:

IMG_2744.jpg

Arriving at the field:

IMG_2745.jpg

Ripping up the field:

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

Parking the tractor at the end of the field. We will finish the field tomorrow when there is more light:

IMG_2749.jpg

Timmy B... how did I miss this thread... I've missed 3 Journals... not just 1  :o

Where do I start... the pigs... the pics of the Skidsteer in the mud... the grading pics... I could go on for hours... sufficed to say Tim... superb journals mate... please keep em coming..

But clean My tractor please  >:(

Like the tracked JD!

The picture of the rear of the JD ripping was taken at a good angle- looks very realistic.

Cheers Kevin  :)

Great story - and I never knew that these models really work  ;)

Cheers Mandy  :)

Timmy B... how did I miss this thread... I've missed 3 Journals... not just 1  :o

Where do I start... the pigs... the pics of the Skidsteer in the mud... the grading pics... I could go on for hours... sufficed to say Tim... superb journals mate... please keep em coming..

But clean My tractor please  >:(

Cheers Marky...cleaned the MF off today after it sat around for about a week dirty  :D :D :D;):)

Excellent again mate......I like my skid steer...... ;):);) ;)

Cheers mate...glad you like your skid steer  :)

I have another journal coming later on...keep your eyes peeled... 

Recently, we acquired a new crawler for the farm. We found a John Deere 440 crawler with front blade that was recently rebuilt in the want ads that was being listed for a reasonable price. Without wasting any time, we drove the flatbed down to the seller to look at the crawler. We liked what we saw and heard when the owner started it up and demonstrated it for us, so we decided to buy it. We will not be getting rid of the 2010 crawler, but we will likely be leaving it in the forest for forest work, while our new crawler handles jobs around the farmyard.

Loading up the crawler at the seller's house:

IMG_2734.jpg

Arriving at the farm and unloading by the larger pig pens:

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

As a testimony to how heavy the crawler is, one of the ramps cracked in half while unloading the crawler from the flatbed. Fortunately nothing was damaged:

IMG_2737.jpg

Once the machine was safely unloaded, a farm employee tested out the new crawler:

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

Backing away from the mulch pile:

IMG_2742.jpg

Parking the crawler near the larger pig pens. The farm has several projects that they want to accomplish within the next few days, so the crawler was left outside for the night:

IMG_2743.jpg

Hate to say it, but that?s all for this week folks!

Nice one Timmy Beetwood... Health & Safety would love you in the UK... I think you need to go on a course with our PDC to learn just how to load and unload heavy machinary..

Then again... ummm... the mini-digger affair.. second thoughts... carry on regardless mate  ;)

Nice little machine you have purchased there mate... can I run over Barry with it in the other topic please  ;)

Cheers Marky  :)

Nice one Timmy Beetwood... Health & Safety would love you in the UK... I think you need to go on a course with our PDC to learn just how to load and unload heavy machinary..

Then again... ummm... the mini-digger affair.. second thoughts... carry on regardless mate  ;)

Nice little machine you have purchased there mate... can I run over Barry with it in the other topic please ;)

NO  ;)

Today, we did a little bit of work with our new crawler. Now that most of the dirt pile in front of the pond has been moved, we are able to create a small road that leads from the bridge over the irrigation ditch, to the road leading to the woods. We had a similar road on the farm back in 2004, but the road was used for a spot to dump dirt when the new excavator arrived. Now that we are opening the farm to customers, we want to make the farm easier to travel. The new roads will also make routes from the barn to the woods easier, particularly for new farm employees.

As the farm employees knew that they had a long task before them, they arrived early at the farm around 7:00 am. We have a number of projects to complete before the opening day of the farm on the 7th of April, so the farm is working in full swing. In this picture, Marky is warming up the John Deere crawler for a long day's work:

IMG_2751.jpg

Once Marky let the crawler warm up for 10 minutes, he drove it down to the road leading to the woods, and began his work assignment of the day:

IMG_2752.jpg

In order to make the new road easier to get to, Marky cleaned off the road to the woods of debris:

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

Pushing the debris into a pile off to the side. Martin will come by and clean it up with the skid steer later on in the day:

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

Meanwhile while Marky was finishing cleaning up the debris in the road, Martin was getting used to operating the loader tractor by picking out rocks from the ground, and moving them with the tractor:

IMG_2757.jpg

Once Martin had finished picking out all of the rocks, he dumped them off to the side. The rocks will be sued for a rock wall along the road to the woods once construction on the new road has finished:

IMG_2759.jpg

After Martin finished cleaning out all of the rocks, he parked the tractor off to the side so Marky could get by. In these pictures, Marky is leveling the ground, and preparing for a new layer of dirt to be added to it:

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

After the ground was leveled, Gavin came in with several loads of dirt for the road:

IMG_2762.jpg

Once Gavin had emptied the dirt, Marky graded the dirt and spread it on the new road. After he compacted it, the new road was finished:

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

The farm employees were running ahead of time and the farm owner did not have anything left for them that they could finish with the time left in the day, so they parked up the machines near the pig pens, and left for the day at around 4pm:

IMG_2765.jpg

Some shots of the new stone wall along the road to the woods. The farm owner is quite happy with the new stone wall:

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

As I will be gone this weekend, I am posting the farm journal early. I will start the farming season again next week with Farm Journal #1 if all goes to plan.

Much to our surprise, last night's winds did more damage then expected. Fortunately no buildings or pieces of farm machinery had trees knocked on them, but there were several good sized trees that came down in the woods last night. Much to the farm owner's dismay, the trees required moving for opening day next week. We spent most of the day cutting up and moving the trees, which put us further behind schedule on cleaning up the farm than anticipated. As a result, most of our full time farm workers have volunteered to work overtime next week on Monday through Friday, from the hours of 6am to 8pm. Thanks to the generosity of our farm workers, we may be able to get the farm ready in time for opening day.

When the farm workers came at 7am, they found several large tree branches in the way of the farm machines that fell during the night. They picked them up and got right to work cleaning up the downed trees:

IMG_2798.jpg

The downed trees were larger than they expected:

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

Zane was assigned to hauling out one of the trees with the 430 crawler, while Marky was assigned to hauling out the other large tree with the 2010 crawler:

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

Once the trees were hauled to a more open area, they cut up the trees to more manageable pieces with chainsaws:

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

Once they finished, Zane loaded up the pieces of wood into the dump truck with the loader, while Marky drove the dump truck to and from the brush pile:

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

The new road came in handy when driving the wood down to the brush pile:

IMG_2819.jpg

The downed trees and branches were cleaned up by 4pm. As there would not be enough light to begin cleaning out the pond, the farm owner had the farm employees work on the stone wall. Gavin picked up some rocks with the skid steer for the stone wall:

IMG_2820.jpg

Loading up:

IMG_2821.jpg

When the dump truck bed was full with rocks, Marky drove the load over to the stone wall, where the farm owner was watching the evil Bazza position the rocks in the stone wall. The farm owner was also watching Marky to make sure that he did not accidentally  dump a load of rocks on the evil Bazza:

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

After the truck came back, Gavin resumed picking rocks:

IMG_2824.jpg

After Gavin began loading up the dump truck for the second time, one of the hydraulic pistons began to crack, leaving the loader stuck in mid air. Gavin decided that the skid steer had enough for the day, so he retired it down by the pig pens:

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Some significant progress was accomplished on the stone wall, so the farm owner let the farm employees leave early for the day:

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

At the end of the day, all of the equipment was parked down by the pig pens again. A jack was put under the loader of the skid steer for the night. The farm owner is giving the weekend off to the full time workers so they can catch up on sleep for the coming week, so several of the part time workers will haul the skid steer into the barn to fix this weekend:

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

A view of the farm from the opposite hill, it will not be long until the trees start waking up and growing leaves:

IMG_2835.jpg

The farm owner had no trouble locking up the farm thanks to the nearly full moon:

IMG_2847.jpg

Two more cracking journals there Timmy B... Looks like I had a great time on that JD crawler... still... at least it's not green... As for me tipping a loaf of rocks on the evil bazza.... as if I would  :-[;D

Cheers mate...  :)

??? ??? marky :D

well done tim  :)

Cheers Rich  :)

Today on Easter Sunday, the farm hosted a tractor egg hunt for several of the members of FTF. The objective of this event was for each member to drive around on a tractor, and pick up an egg with a jumbo Jaffa Cake inside. The event was a big success, and the farm would like to host more FTF events in the future with more members.

As Marcus could not make it to the egg hunt, he volunteered to hide the jumbo easter eggs around the farm on Saturday evening:

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

All of the members that participated got up early on Easter Sunday, and arrived at the farm around 7:30. They then got in their tractors, and waited until the farm owner gave them permission to begin:

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

As soon as the farm owner blew the whistle to begin, the tractors scrambled everywhere:

IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

First off is Andy the boss racing down the farm track on his new New Holland 4wd:

IMG_3103.jpg

He spots a bright orange egg at the end of the track, sitting on top of the dirt pile:

IMG_3105.jpg

Next up is Jason in a Case Quad Trac:

IMG_3106.jpg

He spots his egg near the woods after a bit of searching:

IMG_3107.jpg

After Jason is Gavin on the old IH 560:

IMG_3108.jpg

He spots an egg in the pig pen almost instantly:

IMG_3109.jpg

Next comes Ben:

IMG_3132.jpg

Ben finds his egg right near the grass plants by the road leading to the entrance to the farm. Some members claimed to have seen him driving his egg away to a pawn shop to exchange for 99p:

IMG_3133.jpg

After Ben follows Marky:

IMG_3110.jpg

Marky finds his egg at the base of the oak tree in the middle of a small grass field:

IMG_3111.jpg

Following next is Nathan:

IMG_3112.jpg

Nathan finds an egg with his favourite colour on it under a bridge:

IMG_3113.jpg

After Nathan comes Sean roaring along in the IH 5288:

IMG_3114.jpg

Sean finds his egg in the middle of a new field started last spring on the farm:

IMG_3115.jpg

Garret and Mark follow after Sean:

IMG_3116.jpg

They both found their eggs on the sides of the large field:

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

Following next is Rick on a John Deere utility tractor:

IMG_3119.jpg

Rick finds his egg near the new field the farm recently started:

IMG_3120.jpg

Following up are Martin and Will:

IMG_3124.jpg

Each of them find their eggs near the large field:

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

Last but not least, Scott takes up the lead using a different means of transportation:

IMG_3130.jpg

Scott finds his egg at the base of the compost pile:

IMG_3131.jpg

Even though he was not invited, the evil Bazza made an appearance at the event:

IMG_3121.jpg

After trying to steal Marky's eggs and failing, he went to look for his own egg. Fortunately he found an extra one on the road to the woods:

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

After everyone was done collecting their eggs, they lined up across the firm and dry part of the large field for a group photo. Everyone even decided to include the evil Bazza in their photo:

IMG_3127.jpg

Visible in the pictures are some signs of new life of the farm. After Easter, the grass seems to grow again and the trees begin to grow their leaves again. Spring has officially arrived, and it will not be long until it is in full swing:

IMG_3128.jpg

That's all for this week folks, hope you enjoyed. Next week will be Farm Journal #1