Farm Journal -Cider Hill Farms

CCF

I really don't think that is true.  I find the 16th scale forum is a lot like this message board.  I know they very much appreciate your pictures.

You are right there David, seems like a good few of them want to see them. Unfortunate though, you look at the other messageboards and it's different. Seems like they're only gonna take the effort to contribute their opinion to the "good" pieces made out there. Really drives me crazy the nerve of some of the people on there, seems like some just group together and will only look at eachother's posts. :-\

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right there David, seems like a good few of them want to see them. Unfortunate though, you look at the other messageboards and it's different. Seems like they're only gonna take the effort to contribute their opinion to the "good" pieces made out there. Really drives me crazy the nerve of some of the people on there, seems like some just group together and will only look at eachother's posts. :-\

Believe me, me and some others have noticed.  We have pretty much told ourselves that we weren't gonna pay them any compliments anymore.  You can compliment them till you are blue in the face but they couldn't give a crap bout what you post.  But like I said, the 16th scale forum has become more like this place, thanks to "Crazy Rob" bringin everyone together, I mean look at me, he even encouraged me to get my own 16th scale collection goin. 

Believe me, me and some others have noticed.  We have pretty much told ourselves that we weren't gonna pay them any compliments anymore.  You can compliment them till you are blue in the face but they couldn't give a crap bout what you post.  But like I said, the 16th scale forum has become more like this place, thanks to "Crazy Rob" bringin everyone together, I mean look at me, he even encouraged me to get my own 16th scale collection goin. 

Yes, I wouldn't even think that the 16th forum would be attached to TTS in any way at the moment. The moderators don't give a hoot about reading that board seeing as that is a non-problematic board, which leaves out on our own to post as we please there. It's amazing what one person has done to motivate us all again. Hell, I was even contemplating rototilling over the space I use for the model farm to plant grass seed so i'll have something else to mow! ::) After he came along, seems like we all got a fresh motivation to "git 'em dirty!". :)

• 3 weeks later...

FARM JOURNAL #5

As August is rolling in, work on the farm begins to speed up again from normal everyday farm activities. In this time frame, activities on the farm are taking care of the weeds in our crops, and preparing fields for crops to be harvested in the near the end of the farming season. This week, the farm's goal has been to clean out the weeds out of the three rows of onions, and preparing five rows in the field for winter squash. Because winter squash has been a good seller in the area for the past few years, the farm may be able to sell enough to make up for the crop damages during May. Here is some of the progress of the farm:

Finishing cutting the lawn around the farm:

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326-1.jpg

Thankfully the lawn was cut before the heat of the day. The lawnmower was put away in the barn for maitinence:

IMG_0327.jpg

Due to May's rainstorms , the farm had more time on their hands than expected. As a small project, the old MM was hauled into the shop, and fixed. Though the engine could use rebuilding, the tractor is still useful for hauling wagons and small implements:

IMG_0304.jpg

Finishing cultivating the rows being prepared for winter squash:

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Beginning to disk the fields:

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Finishing weeding additional rows in the field. Several farm employees weed the fields while another drives the tractor to drop the weeds into:

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Dumping the weeds into a pile. The weeds will be composted and used as soil:

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Break time. Water is stored in jugs in the bed of the gator for employees:

IMG_0311.jpg

Luckily, the farm employees finished weeding the onions before the end of the day. If the weeds were left for as much as three more days, the whole crop may have been lost:

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Now that all the weeds are pulled out, the fields will be disked:

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Allthough time time is only four o'clock in the afternoon, the farm is already packed up for the night. Thunderstorms and rain are expected in the early evening:

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Hate to say it, but that's all for this week folks! Next week's journal will focus on farm machinery maintenance, and rock picking.

Cracking Pics Tim... well done mate... exceptional as always...

And Benjamin...

I'm with Master Luke on that one as well... How could you say such a thing about one of our fellow FTF members.. talk about hurt someones feelings  ::)

i just had the guts to post it, you thought it as well  :D :D :D

Cheers lads! :)

Scott, I put just about all of my 16th pieces on the outdoor display except for the collector editions. The tractors on the display are put in settings according to their value, detail, and really how much they are favoured! Take a look in the "Mudding at Cider Hill Farms" post, you all should be able to see which ones are favoured! :D :D :D

FARM JOURNAL #6

Warm weather has been slowing down farm work immensely over the past week. Because of the lack of rain and the temperature, crops are starting to show signs of stress. Aswell as the crops showing stress, the machines are also showing signs of the heat. Tractor work can only be done in the early hours, or engine overheating may occur. Because hardly any farm workers have been showing up, the farm took most of the day to change engine oil, grease, and clean the farm machiery. Regular matinence is important, particularly for older tractors working in high ambient temperatures. After maitinence was performed, several farm employees rock picked a few rows of the fields and mowed down any large weeds surrounding the fields. Here is the farm's latest progress:

Draining the oil in the John Deere 9420T:

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Scrubbing down and scraping carbon deposits off the John Deere 4620:

IMG_0339.jpg

Cutting down some of the larger weeds:

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Heading out to the field:

IMG_0341.jpg

Hooking up to the disk:

IMG_0345.jpg

Disking several rows of the field. More rocks will appear after the field has been disked:

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

The onions are quite dried up. The farm needs some rain:

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

Picking up rocks in the field:

IMG_0351.jpg

Dumping a full bucket of rocks in the water drainage system. The rocks should improve the dirt content of the water:

IMG_0354.jpg

The farm is all packed up by noon. The heat of the day is at about 2pm:

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Hate to say it, but that's all for this week folks! Next week's journal will be written by a guest writer.

Cracking good read as always Tim... thanks mate.... I love the drain can on the Johnny Q... very realistic pics mate... well done

Get some water on those onions please... you never heard of irrigation man  :o

Cheers mate, you just gave me an idea for a future journal! :);)

So.... who will be the guest writer Tim??

David Hinton (DPH) will be the guest writer.

cool pics tim keep up the good work  ;):)

Cheers Rich! :)

Another good journal Timmy :)    How's the 1/32 farm doing ?

Cheers Scott! The 1/32 farm is currently in pieces down in the cellar. I don't have enough tractors and implements in 1/32 to finish it at the moment, all I have is a few JQ's and a NH baler! :(:)

FARM JOURNAL #7

After promising a TTS member more pictures of the farm, I went out and took some pictures for an un-planned journal. This journal is not written by a guest writer, next Wednesday's journal will be written by a guest writer instead.

After some much needed rain, the farm finally made it down to our 10 acre plot of land a few miles away from the farm to start preparing the fields for some later crops of the season. Here's what we've been up to:

Loading up the farm equipment to be used:

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Heading out to the fields:

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Arriving and unloading at the fields:

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

Tilling:

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Break time. The tractors are parked in the shade to cool down:

IMG_0389.jpg

Back to work. The farm employees will cultivate until 9pm when there is no more daylight:

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Packing up for the day. The tractors and implements are stored under a grove of trees next to the field:

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Hate to say it, but that's all for this week folks! Next week's journal will be written by a guest writer.