J M. Farms Ltd - how too build it ?

Hi

I start the JM farms ltd model farm set up in 1985 but i m not sure how long it should take to build one  as i see other on here have done wonderful set ups yet mine is growing slower then  the Uk  economy ha ha! ,  advice is welcome from the more expert builders on here please ,

The pics are of the sheds i made in the summer of  "85 " in between farm jobs i just simlpy used some 4 mm ply & balsa wood for the gutters / down pipes ( just wish id patented then ) will add pics asap

We have more and more layouts popping up every day, this is great news! I agree with Paul, brushwood manufacture at great "starter shed" if your not too handy at cutting straight etc but they need tarting up whether it be cutting in skylights, adding cladding, joining two or three together. But i believe to truly get exactly what you want is to build it yourself from scratch. I can see a little layout club forming here and I'm pleased to have been involved and helped

Hi

Come on boys there was full time farm work to be done  at that time  , playing out at the pub ,  getting married then divorced ha ha! then paying ever other tom , **** & harry off !!    thats what happen well thats my story :-*   -

Heres the two  sheds  made from 4mm ply & Balsa woods for the gutters / drains then all painted in good old gloss paint  small pin nails & glue  ha ha! 

post-4039-0-72376900-1407000882_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-86806600-1407001026_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-73259100-1407001078_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-55050400-1407001197_thumb.jp

And heres the farm signs agin made in " 85 "  these was made from lettering which i got from a shop in York  which you had to transfer a letter at a time  , then theres a pic of the spud boxs & the wooden pallet which i d made from match es  again the  paint will be what ever was in the house at the time  at this time i was still living at home sweet home with me mum & dad 8)  8)  8)

The farm names are of real farms in my area theres 3 in total but i cant find the 3rd sign as yet

post-4039-0-39003000-1407001762_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-77382800-1407001795_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-69938100-1407001855_thumb.jp

Seriously, some corrugated card on the sides of those, some plastruct gutters and a new coat of paint and you've got the basis of a corker of a farm there Jon, and possibly one with the oldest buildings on the forum ? :D
One thing I would say is, and I know it doesn't apply to all farms, a good sturdy well built baseboard goes a long way, particularly if the layout is moved around a lot and that's not just to shows but if it needs to be moved round the house and hidden from your Misses :of

Hi

i know what youre saying mate   the Mrs & that dammed hoover ha ha! the 2 sheds are " bottom less "  which is a little bit rude ::)  but the barn has a floor  ."

As with many that worked on  "real farm "  s  i done a lot of floor laying & digging footings  by hand , even build a shed on the last farm  i worked on , I  know thats  the main reason my back gave way  -  im just not build like a builder more like a model ha ha! but with all the £££££  missing

yep i ve seen some of the good works done by Alex & Paul  & the other boys on here so i may follow !

Good to see a new layout coming on. The more the merrier.

I use 6mm MDF boards, 610mm x 1220mm as base boards. They can warp over time, so I have glued 2x1 batens under them to keep them straight. When not in use they can be stood up against the wall. The sheds can be set out in different combinations, or for different eras. By using the same size boards you can add and subtract stuff as and when necessary.

Here's a shot of two boards I use for grassland scenes. One has a grass mat glued to it. The other has part grass and part tarmac

PB250836.jpg

In this one you can see the join between two boards when the yard buildings are set down.

DSC06133_zps4cf7648a.jpg

Thanks for the feed back boys  :)    im looking at doing up the sheds in time ha ha!  :-X  but i ve found it a lot easyer to buy the kit for her  eg  Tractors that far easyer me thinks ;D

Hi thanks J   but dont make us feel any older ha ha!  ::)    young Jamie  you young  ones of day dont know how lucky you all are  there was no HLT or anything like that  in them good old  days thats for sure !!!! , there was an odd model maker but they only had the early Britains models to work on , im still not sure if i started them the year before but hey what the heck ;D  i used to buy odd models from G&M when they 1st came  in to the model selling world  game 8)   near Leeds

• 1 month later...

Hi  heres a few of the  models  i ve been buying up following good advice from Mr Alex  , now im sure he said go Red ha ha! , A new MF 7624 on a s/h but nearly new 6 fr plough , then a little yellow a Cat MT 765C turn up with a s/h Britains Vaderstad - A 600 s  drill & a  new 7fr plough , 

post-2537-0-69406000-1411235697_thumb.jp

post-2537-0-18272600-1411235745_thumb.jp

post-2537-0-57428200-1411235788_thumb.jp

Pick up a few items from Mr  BLR models , also  been stocking up on spud boxs / pallets from Globe , ,Had some spud bags &  spuds from HLT

Tractors to come in i think will be another MF7624 & the new MF  thats out soon ,   , also  i ve seen a big CAT  id like as well ( Mainly as i ve been in one )

ON kit front

, well i need some more spud kit & may be a topdown like bit of kit

thenits just getting round to making some where for it to farm

But i got to sell a good bit of old kit next to pay for me new plans loln as the Mrs wont give me any pocket Money !!

oh & some of them nice fancy trailers Mr Alex s has ,

post-2537-0-56404400-1411313196_thumb.jp

Archived