Eastbank - A New Zealand Arable Farm.(subsoiling)

Light Land

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all hands on deck following the subsoiler is the main cultivation followed by a light harrow and roll to seal the ground ahead of the planter.

20141010_091401_zps1e366fb3.jpg

20141010_091215_zps76791a4b.jpg

20141010_090903_zps4d06eccb.jpg

20141010_090722_zpsa84bfe68.jpg

Planting a Pioneer brand line of maize grain (39y12) suited to drilling this far south with a known stalk strength and fast dry down. Planter mapping is to help the inter knife find it's way when the urea is put down as the rows are closing over. The jcb's wheel centers fit down the rows and hardly leave a mark unlike the row crop wheels I've used in the past.

20141010_092117_zps1ba9ce6d.jpg

20141010_092421_zps14e427e5.jpg

A modern tractor like the 7050 shouldnt be smoking,standard, must of got a visit with the 13 spanner ! ;)

Our real 7070 lets out a few black puffs when working hard, Yes on my layout it's been remapped for the bigger jobs. :)

Ol thats fantastic stuff man . Well done.  ;)

really good stuff ol , like the smoking new Holland  !

Amazing what you have done OL 8)

Texas

Good of you all to say so, thank you.  :-[  :)

Like everyone else said, and quite unnecessary, what a fantastic story! Must be a hell of a lot of work for you to put all together though. Or is this old stuff you recorded previously?

What is the reason for pulling a cage roller behind the Kuhn packer roller, doesn't it crumble all the clods? I'd think you should rather put a bar of light spring tines behind to scratch the surface and prevent it from capping. The outfit with front cultivator all looks very French really!

I tend to make my dio's fresh each time Niels with my wifes help, the back grounds being fitting for whats happening. 

Having seen the same thing working in Germany years ago and with our land been hard to work down this year in real life so in model life it's the same, I had that cage roller laying around from another reinvention of the wheel and thought the cage roller would help just to pat the clods down a touch more to help seal the ground ahead of the harrow/roller while still being compact and easy to use.Next year I'd like to make a simba roller to tow behind it, one of them ones with the dents in them.

Thanks for looking. :)

Oh what a good wife helping you out!! My one thinks i'm bonkers and I don't even own a diorama!! ;D . Where I used to work we had a home made light harrow (like a straw rake with sprung tines) behind the power harrow to tickle the top. Problem was with a little residue it would drag it along, same with larger stones.

You mean this roller from Simba: http://www.burdenbrosagri.co.uk/custom/upload/images/products/resized/492x456/img_0320.JPG?

I tend to make my dio's fresh each time Niels with my wifes help, the back grounds being fitting for whats happening. 

Having seen the same thing working in Germany years ago and with our land been hard to work down this year in real life so in model life it's the same, I had that cage roller laying around from another reinvention of the wheel and thought the cage roller would help just to pat the clods down a touch more to help seal the ground ahead of the harrow/roller while still being compact and easy to use.Next year I'd like to make a simba roller to tow behind it, one of them ones with the dents in them.

Thanks for looking. :)

You might be interested in some of these "dents" then ol,http://www.cethena.be/vmchk/Pi%C3%A8ces-d%C3%A9tach%C3%A9es/Minia-cn/Voir-tous-les-produits.html

Regards

Joe.

Oh what a good wife helping you out!! My one thinks i'm bonkers and I don't even own a diorama!! ;D . Where I used to work we had a home made light harrow (like a straw rake with sprung tines) behind the power harrow to tickle the top. Problem was with a little residue it would drag it along, same with larger stones.

You mean this roller from Simba: http://www.burdenbrosagri.co.uk/custom/upload/images/products/resized/492x456/img_0320.JPG?

One like this Niels, a 4.2mtr job.

Single_Press_zps775c7ab5.jpg

real good layout like the gps on the drill.we run a parmiter pressure harrow and cambridge roll setup like your kuhn/vaderstad harrow combi on ploughed grd 2 passes 4 a seedbed.is that sugar in the hopper of the maize drill.

Yes Dave it's caster mate.

You might be interested in some of these "dents" then ol,http://www.cethena.be/vmchk/Pi%C3%A8ces-d%C3%A9tach%C3%A9es/Minia-cn/Voir-tous-les-produits.html

Regards

Joe.

Oh thats a good site Joe. Plenty to look at there.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few weeks one of the farms focus's has been getting the Ryegrass ready to set seed by managing it through the early growth stages.

Several sprays to control wild oats and synchronize the plants tillers/seed setting have been applied between topping to control volunteer wheat and heavy rolling as this part of the farm has a few stony ridges running through it. To date around 250kg/ha of urea has been applied and watered in. This is all happening a couple of weeks later than last year due to a new later maturing variety of ryegrass we've been contracted to take for seed this year.

The late harvest last year combined with variety's of wheat that are reluctant to strike/sprout have resulted in a plaster of wheat to mulch out this spring, 2 passes a week apart deal to the wheat however.

Keeping thirsty grass growing by taking diesel out to the generator that powers the lateral line (like a center pivot but moves in a straight line.)  

real/model:DSC_0055_zpse5759833.jpg

20141027_141413_zpsaeac7bf5.jpg

Topping with the busy T7000  :)

20141101_122549_zps5d108f4b.jpg

20141101_122514_zps25fe58bb.jpg

12 tonne roller punching down anything that maybe a problem should I need to pick the swaths off the ground come harvest.

20141101_123137_zps116be22c.jpg

20141101_123202_zps4cf7ba2e.jpg

i know you like your rollers Ol,is that one big enough? ;)

Common here Paul rollers like that,let out the water to get the weight you need or fill it up and deal to stones.

Some right old gems on your layout there mate ;)

Thanks, there all tractors I've driven.

Nice to find another Eastbank update Ol. Always a treat and interesting to learn about your way of farming! Lot of grass seed grown here also as you probably known but done much more differently. I think 250L/ha of Urea is a LOT by our standards. Probably key to your high yields, lots of N?

Thank you for looking, I value your opinion. :)

Some grasses seem to need more than others to keep enough tillers setting seed. Alot of that early N is taken up by the leaves that we mulch in and is washed back into the soil by irragation/worms for the plants to take up later in the season.(often it's were we get a late cut of silage from with no more bagged N used) later on the grass will get another lite splash of N before harvest to make sure we get the tonnes per ha not kg's per ha of seed. 

Archived