Eastbank - A New Zealand Arable Farm.(subsoiling)

Light Land

There are a series layered aquifers running under Canterbury plains. 3 150hp submersible pumps at strategic places around the farm were the water is known to have the strongest flow in the lower layers pump the water up from around 50mtrs deep into a 20cm pvc pipe net work that runs around the farm. Hydrants every 250mtr apart are were we hook the 15cm irrigation hose onto to feed the lateral, pivots, hose reels etc. Laying pipes and feeder hoses out takes to much time and slows that water down (friction loss) so having the water (40psi) on hand all over the farm is common on 80% of farms in the area including Eastbank. Irrigation water quota's in short are set by the local government depending on the ground water status and river flow levels combined with user history and use.

By means of electronic metering (using the cell phone network) each well/pump is monitored to check your not over pumping every 15 mins. The laws around irrigation are strictly in forced with regulations often changing.There are some farms here that have not kept up with new rules and disputed there rights in court but no to avail, there pivots stand still in the summer as they have no permit to take water at this stage.

A new irrigation scheme is coming online next year in our area. In short surplus flood water will be collected up in the alps from lakes/rivers and released down massive channels before being reduced via ponds into a gravity feed pipe lines runing down hill along road sides were from there it the brought into on-farm ponds to be used when needed.

This new irrigation scheme is user funded buy the farmers that want the water such as those who have lost the right to use ground water or need more due to having a limited amount of ground water. Thanks to forward planning and a 2nd mortgage to fund the irrigation development years ago Eastbank has enough ground water quota, The land I contract farm with the local church however is limited and due to it's proximity to a river so is under more stringent regulations. The soul purpose of the churches land is to provide money for there ministry it's unlikely they will want to commit to 150 pound/ha per year to top up there ground water consent. Keeping half the land in autumn sown cereals each year helps get around this.

The new irrigation canal being cut through farm land near me.

CWP20canal20excavation20at20chainage2016

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

With red meat prices running high this summer I thought I'd try sell my baler as i know a lot of the upland sheep and beef farms make there own round bales. Buyers of straw no longer want round bales as they are not as economical to transport long distances, I've not made a round bale in the last few years as a result.

One of the first implements I ever brought was this baler. When I started out growing onions and bulls I would grow onions for 2 years then grass the paddock down for 2 years to make hay on in summer and winter bulls on as mentioned in the introduction.

Ready for a new life on a sheep station, There new tractor and my old baler setting off into the foot hills in time for there short hay season.

20141226_174012_zpsee7344b7.jpg

20141226_174037_zps8a22e363.jpg

Boxing day saw the pea viners arrive to vine our 10ha of peas. The crop didn't look anything special thanks to a few late frosts and dear I say it running short of water witch will no doubt be confirmed when the report is sent out week after next.

Post harvest the paddock will have it's tramlines broken with the Sunflower subsoiler and roller before being chipped with the Rubin and then rolled down and forgotten about. At least the viners didn't make a mess this year with it being so dry.  

20141222_160654_zpsab4443df.jpg

20141226_174538_zpsd88ef510.jpg

An early start to harvest is seldom a good sign, thankfully only the dryland Barley is a week or so away from being ready while the rest of the crops are still green as leeks and packing in more weight by the day. Combine went away working so just confirming that's still the case. 

20141226_175050_zps167e77f3.jpg

20141226_175409_zps464c2ef3.jpg

Great photos Ol, as has been said great attention to detail and superb weathering, if I can talk model farm for a minute what size is your layout?

1.2 x1.2 the main yard, the grain store that will be in harvest layouts is half that again.

Great updates Ol. Hope you've had a great Christmas. Definitely one of my favourite topics to look at and see what's happening down South - not only excellent photos and models but a great backstory too. 

Are you selling the John Deere baler in the real world too by any chance?

A happy new year to all who follow Eastbank, thank you.

Crops have made it to the new year looking well despite the dry weather and non stop winds. The dry climate this season has seen potatoes having not had a fungicide at all so far while later heat loving crops such as maize and radish are basking in the sun and looking well. 

Results of the peas came back reviling a 13 tonne/ha crop was vinned (10T is ok 15T is awsome). Not a bad yield all things considered but with the crop being such a poor payer it only made as much as a 8 tonne/ha crop of feed barley with current prices. With such few options to grow this spring it was better than nothing.

Raddish after 2 crops of wheat left, Early planted wheat after rape (seed) right with Spuds after radish center.

DSC_0022_zpsf54ad2cf.jpg

My first tractor, used only for the planting and lifting of onions now days as it's wheels are set at 1.5mtrs and about had it.

20141227_161056_zpsdd65691e.jpg

DSC02009_zps4d64fbe5.jpg

Ducking down a tramline in the grass seed to finish lifting the headlands. Shame there not worth anything again this year due to North Island onions still coming out of endless cool stores. The hole idea of growing the high risk winter onions was to beat the main crop and make a premium witch has been the case in the past but not this year.

20150103_165622_zpsd052b2aa.jpg

20150103_170522_zpsa1f2ef4b.jpg

Between other jobs the combine is now serviced and ready to go. After harvest the combine is just blown down and put away with a list of jobs to do left on the seat. I tend to service things when there coming up needed and not before as cash flow after harvest is more important than spending money on some thing that wont be out of the shed for another year. 

20141227_161828_zpsb22ba4c6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Harvest is slowly getting underway on Eastbank.

Dryland barley has been thrashed and sold off the combine to help with the coming storage problems caused by 200t of sprouted wheat no pig farm wants or dairy can afford still on farm. Carrying grain over was common untill the dairy boom but with that bubble burst it looks like we'll be doing that again in years to come.

7.5T/ha from a low input crop that saw on only 3inch of from planting to harvest was surprising.

Onions are now picked up after a few big nights,with the crop looking like it will cover the cost of production but no more. Grading will soon tell.

The local carrying company leave a trailer at the farm in the evening to fill and return with there truck in the am were I load there truck from my trailer in the yard. The fright is cheaper if you load at night for them to take away in the am.

DSC_0052_zps7a686dec.jpg

DSC_0051_zpsf95457cb.jpg

DSC_0060_zps8cdc538b.jpg

DSC_0063_zpsead9f65d.jpg

The trailer was imported on my behalf by the Dutch company were my onions are packed a few years ago when onions were worth good money. With price,tariffs and exchange rates not the issue they were years ago we see trailers from allover the world here in NZ now. I'm happy with it and see a few the same model as mine working here.

Back the yard....

DSC_0067_zps09eb1ce2.jpg

DSC_0069_zps82c65b39.jpg

Very nice update Ol! Did you build the Wühlmaus onion lifter yourself? Is the Miedema trailer story based on real life or made up? :laugh: Finally, what seed did you use to replicate the onions? Looks quite good!

Another week sees a bit more crop thrashed,Rape seed and barley being ticked off the list now.

Bit of a change this year with the baling. In the early days when I were growing onions I became good friends with a local arable farmer in that area who was more than willing to help me get going by loaning bits of gear and a giving advice. In recent years he made the switch from growing onions,carrots, maize grain,wheat and rye grass seed to hi input dairy farming on his 200ha of fine sandy loam. Now with 700 cows to feed and a drought to deal with he asked about taking straw from Eastbank at the market rate.

Now with his own baler he is able to bale behind the combine on the day with the added benefit of keeping contractors balers off the farm to avoid them bringing contamination of foreign seed off there balers as his baler will live on the farm all summer or until he needs to make silage on his own place.  

11.5T/ha of grain and 13 bales of straw saw the combine and baler with plenty to munch on, the over flow being tipped into the grain shed for now.

His faithful 8410 still serving him well, after years of 6mtr power harrowing and pulling 24T bulk trailers the baler would be the hardest job it gets now.

20150126_131650_zps8srqpafu.jpg

mvf_zpskuackr3p.jpg

door_zpsfojgybop.jpg

jd_zpskb9cutpj.jpg

back%20door_zpsktuszpp2.jpg

Archived