Fendt Kantana 65

BigX500

I can't see why anyone one would want to buy a Katana unless they are utterly Fendt mad. Saw it in action against a Jaguar 960 and certainly disappointed me and both the contractor that was running it. Really nothing innovative about it! If I had to today I'd probably put my money on the new John Deere series.

I can't see why anyone one would want to buy a Katana unless they are utterly Fendt mad. Saw it in action against a Jaguar 960 and certainly disappointed me and both the contractor that was running it. Really nothing innovative about it! If I had to today I'd probably put my money on the new John Deere series.

I heard the same Niels about the katana. The capacity is to low and and the result from the maize isnt that good.

Don't think this harvester will make the difference. Think also that John Deere is back with thsi new harvester.

Texas

We had good results with maize  not got the output has the bigx x, would like to try in grass first.But does it matter if the outputs down 200acres a day with the bigx in grass, if we drop 20acres of it give the clamping more time to make the silage that what counts. Also 5 years warranty parts and labour inc for the Fendt only 1 with krone its tempting plus fuel costs are still and will be a big factor for many years to come. John Deere £20000 more than a Krone they priced them self out if not careful. Mike no username still bigx 500 ha ha! 

We had good results with maize  not got the output has the bigx x, would like to try in grass first.But does it matter if the outputs down 200acres a day with the bigx in grass, if we drop 20acres of it give the clamping more time to make the silage that what counts. Also 5 years warranty parts and labour inc for the Fendt only 1 with krone its tempting plus fuel costs are still and will be a big factor for many years to come. John Deere a contractor who I work for over 15yrs ago use to run 3 claas then moved to JD has been running the prototype for JD testing the last 4yrs over here not over impressed and £20000 more than a Krone they priced them self out if not careful. Mike no username still bigx 500 ha ha! 

When the katana does 20 acres less it cost the contractor money. Overhere the contractors want to do a max for acres a day.

Also you see more often 2 loaders on the pit to keep the train going fast. The katana could only drive 4.5 km and the claas 6,5.

Texas

Do many farmers tend to have their own SPFH?  I don't know of any around my area, though there are a few contractors with them - one I think even has 2.  I guess the older machines would be good buys if they have been well looked after if a farm wanted to do their own instead of relying on contractor and their availability

Do many farmers tend to have their own SPFH? I don't know of any around my area, though there are a few contractors with them - one I think even has 2. I guess the older machines would be good buys if they have been well looked after if a farm wanted to do their own instead of relying on contractor and their availability

I imagine it depends on the area and ultimatelly the area the farm will be chopping in year. Around here the only farm i can think of with their own SPFH is Lakham College but they can also use it as a teachng tool. Some farms run a trailed due to a chaper running cost and a tractor to use at other times f the year. If these farms also grows maize they tend to have a contractor in to cut it.

Back to the Fendt, its nice to see and hear others peoples verdicts of the machine. Have yet to trailer alongside one yet despite the contractor i work for trying one for a day on grass and his forager driver trying one on maize. His verdict was that he didnt think it was as good as his Claas but still a good machine to use.

Dont think it looks too bad next to a Fendt tractor

0516eb048a6a0fe2af1b867a0c9eeb7a_zpsf159

The Fendt certainly isn't a bad forage harvester and well put together after plenty of years of testing. However, the market is overcrowded with Claas, NH, JD and Krone. I just can't see what makes the Fendt stand out from the crowd. Maybe a good deal like Ben is pointing out. With such machine service is sometimes more important than output. Odd though they are a premium brand for tractors and a budget brand for SPFH's. I don't think they had anticipated in Marktoberdorf, Bavaria, that the biogas industry would collapse that quickly in a matter of two years when they started designing it. The market is now looking for perfect chopping quality, yield mapping and low fuel consumption rather than 1000HP+ engines and 14+ row headers.

On the Fendt the headers are standard stuff, the cab is not the best (pillar at the back to name something), the controls are handy but are they really much better than JD or Krone?, the engine is nothing special and the corn cracker is known stuff. The chute and drum are good and very well accessible but when I hear Deere's store I can't help but feeling Fendt have nothing to show for. Fendt dedicated contractors will get (or have) Claas or Krone. Fendt dealers on the continent sell most of the Krone harvesters. Difficult to wedge yourself in between.

The grass pick-up and maize header are all sourced from Kemper. The first models for testing/demonstrations had Fendt coloured headers but I was told if you buy a Katana today it will be red headers only. Was also told by the Fendt chap there will be frames available so you can fit a Krone or Claas header if you like.

I remember reading pre launch that KATANA means "JAGUAR SLAYER" Maybe there not going to live up to this bold statement. The grass headers are kemper made and I also think I remember reading that JD use a similar header and have an agreement with kemper regarding grass and maize headers. I spent a summer in Germany a few years back and when you see there maize acreage and average field size you understand why big hp and two engines are required,very often its a case of hp overkill here in UK. If the output is down on a big x then why would anyone consider them a better buy than a Class or JD? Did I also red that the crop rollers and cutting drum are vario controlled to only have them working as fast as is required in differing conditions thus saving fuel etc? It was a huge step for Agco to enter this market as you really would need cutting edge developments over the competition to attract the buyer, mf used to market badge engineered Mengele machines but to design and build an entirely new machine was a massive risk and fair play to them to undertake such a challenge

Fendt  takes big risk to go on the market with a harvester but it's a challenge. I think there toughts are that many contractors drives Fendt tractors will also go for a Fendt harvester. But a harvester is something diffirent then a tractor.

I remember reading pre launch that KATANA means "JAGUAR SLAYER" Maybe there not going to live up to this bold statement.

Katana means sword in Japanese. What we would call a Ninja sword I guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana So Nothing to do with Jaguars ;)

@Sean: The first ones all did (prototype run) and in the brochures but all the ones that got sold have red Kempers. I believe, if my mind serves me right, they were available to buy in German from last year or this year onwards. Before that you could hire/lease one off the factory that would take it back to evaluate.

Archived