How to get a collection valued?

ronan7051

Hi guys,

I haven't been on here in ages, just with the kids and life in general 😊 and over the last few nights I have got the time to start writing down what I a Tula,y have in my collection. As of tonight I'm at 250 models, all britains bar maybe 5, ranging over all the years britians have been producing. Oh and all boxed. Probably still about a hundred to go. It got me thinking, what is it all worth? So hence the title of my post, how would I go about getting it valued? Looking forward to your responses.

Interesting points to remember here Ronan is that no matter what you think something is worth, it's only really worth what someone is prepared to pay on the day of the sale. My own collection stands me in at about £14k , but would I get that money for it , who knows. The only reason I keep an eye on the value is because the collection is insured as a special item on my contents insurance, and all the boxes are in a separate outbuilding so I have proof of what I have got.

You can't really look at ebay to see a true value of an item, as one week a certain model might make £10 and next week £30.there plenty of britains collectors on here that can give you some good advice I am sure.

Thanks for your reply Chris,

I was thinking much the same as you in regards to value and what someone would actually pay, my next question would be, so would the next move be to contact dealers and see what it's worth to them and would they be interested? I'm not committed to selling it but sometime I do think ha ha!. As my other big interest that I want to get into sometime is kit cars and also I you are right that you can't judge it by ebay, as from what I see it just depends what day you post it on and numerous other factors count to what you would get for your item. Also I don't know if I want to go down that route as it would take forever to sell them all on there. Decision decisions ,

Anyone got any details of decent dealers? I have one I deal with whom I will probably give a shout to,if even just for a valuation.

Interesting points to remember here Ronan is that no matter what you think something is worth, it's only really worth what someone is prepared to pay on the day of the sale. My own collection stands me in at about £14k , but would I get that money for it , who knows. The only reason I keep an eye on the value is because the collection is insured as a special item on my contents insurance, and all the boxes are in a separate outbuilding so I have proof of what I have got.

You can't really look at ebay to see a true value of an item, as one week a certain model might make £10 and next week £30.there plenty of britains collectors on here that can give you some good advice I am sure.

Oh Chris,

One other question for you would be ,how do you stored your collection to keep it in good coundition? As mine is in the loft in plastic boxes, and sometimes I worry about the cold and so forth in the loft. Thanks.

There's plenty of decent dealers out there, just stay away from Bazza at udimore tractor shop, he is a rogue. No, only joking Ronan, he is a top bloke really. Stevestoys, g&m, martyns farm models, there are loads of dealers that will give you a price but you have to remember they won't give you top price as there has to be some gold left in the deal for themselves, and rightly so. They won't buy a model that's worth £20 for £18.50 , it's just not worth it. You will get more if you break up the collection and sell it yourself over 18 months or so.

There's plenty of decent dealers out there, just stay away from Bazza at udimore tractor shop, he is a rogue. No, only joking Ronan, he is a top bloke really. Stevestoys, g&m, martyns farm models, there are loads of dealers that will give you a price but you have to remember they won't give you top price as there has to be some gold left in the deal for themselves, and rightly so. They won't buy a model that's worth £20 for £18.50 , it's just not worth it. You will get more if you break up the collection and sell it yourself over 18 months or so.

"stay away from Bazza at udimore tractor shop"        True that  ;D  ;D 

I asked this same self question myself some years ago, and when in conversation with a very well known Farm Toy Dealer, his answer was, to total up what you have paid for your collection , and double it. Now this sounds very easy but I think I must add in some factors that will make this seem to be a good rule of thumb for some collectors , but not all. Assuming he was giving me the advice and not anyone else at the time, these factors would be, I only collect Britain's , with generally good to mint boxes, I have been collecting for 20 years, my collection ranges from late fifties to present date, and I have a good mix spread over those years.

So just to clarify some points from this when I started most items I bought would have been already obsolete, so obviously their value has increased quite a lot since I first purchased it, the items I have bought new since I first started have increased, perhaps double there purchase price over that time , and I would say that anything purchased in the last 5 years or so has probably stayed very close to its original purchase price. So to conclude this statement it only works over the whole collection , and not individual items, which I know if some of your purchases are rarer pieces obviously they are worth more than others. Hoping this makes some sense, and as others have said things are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

tractorman314.

I have a spread sheet that I have all my boxed models on ,it tots up as I add all my new buys, if I sold them I know I  wouldn't get what I paid, well at present, however its all valued on what I paid for them, therefore what ,should anything happen, I would have to pay again to replace them at current prices with dealers / online sellers  . as for the unboxed stuff I haven't even started on them, and my scratch builds???? no idea how to value them as they are unique   

You will probably find it difficult to get an accurate professional valuation if the valuer discovers that you don't really want to sell, they certainly wouldn't do it for free so it would then come down to how much you wanted to pay to get it done

Wow, guys, thanks for all the brilliant comments and advise , I wish I was as organised as you are Sean with the spread sheet. That's what I'm aiming to do once all of them are noted down first. But some of them i havent a clue what I paid for them ha ha!. I think I answered my own question on will I sell the collection, by going buying more of the new models the weekend at the local market

well if you can wait till next year get a stall at the Aberdeen model farm  and construction show I am sure if you contact Brain or Andy early enough you will get a place ,you will get the best price this way then if you have any thing else sell it off cheep at the end of the show and you will still do better than any auction ,that is not even six month away ,it will give you chance to do your home work on what its worth ,plus you get the Britain's dealers up there like Shawn ,,stevestoys ,,off here

Wow, guys, thanks for all the brilliant comments and advise , I wish I was as organised as you are Sean with the spread sheet. That's what I'm aiming to do once all of them are noted down first. But some of them i havent a clue what I paid for them ha ha!. I think I answered my own question on will I sell the collection, by going buying more of the new models the weekend at the local market

must confess ronan it was the wifes work , I tried to sort them but she's a excel wizard ,

Sounds par for the course! Has to be a labour of love.  I have a collection of linked databases with details of all items in my collection including estimated replacement values.  It has grown over the years - I would hate to have to start from scratch

This is good advice Cgris I agree with you my collection was valued at 50k but I am sure I would only get a third of the cost.

The question is whether you are wanting possible sale value or for insurance purposes.  If selling then, as said by others, it is a case of what people are prepared to pay but if for insurance then it is what it would cost you to replace it.  That is at least 50% higher than possible sale value or even cost

Wow guys, thanks for all the replys, I finished counting what I had before heading off to work for a month and it stands at 400 boxed and I didn't count in my own little unboxed conversions. Still keep changing my mind, but after the Christmas present the wife got me I decided to keep it for the moment and keep adding probably. I know it bad of me not starting a actual thread like most of you guys with pictures of each model, but then again there is a little project for me the next trip home I guess,I just need to get off my lazy butt!

This is the present from the missu for Christmas, a John Deere EP25 dung spreader, also in the phot is a modified John Deere 3650 also by Mark Murdoch. Two lovely and well done models. That's why I've decided to keep collecting😃

This is the present from the missu for Christmas, a John Deere EP25 dung spreader, also in the phot is a modified John Deere 3650 also by Mark Murdoch. Two lovely and well done models. That's why I've decided to keep collecting😃 for the time being. I've tried to attach a photo. It it keeps attaching them upside down??

Archived