Hitachi CG30/ Morooka MST 400 tracked dumper

As part of my A level art and design I need to build a model and as the build has to be fully documented in my sketchbook I needed to build something I have lots of photos of. On a recent holiday to Scotland I was able to catalog a number of unusual vehicles with photos including a Hitachi CG30, otherwise stickered as a Morooka MST 400. This is what I've come up with, now ready for paint.
IMG_20150301_163503_zpsi8soqiiu.jpg
IMG_20150301_163526_zpsddq0b0lp.jpg
IMG_20150301_163534_zpsds8kp1wp.jpg
IMG_20150301_163541_zpsxqozqqdq.jpg
IMG_20150301_163548_zpsvmaqlpbs.jpg
I have scratch built the entire thing including the track units and tracks which I have then cast in rubber and resin. This allows me to make more of these dumpers. One specific version I'd like to make is the Tracked Post Driver

Thanks for Looking

James

Now that is fantastic James I did some subcontracting work last month on a solar farm which was been built by a German company and they had loads of those machines. On the front they had like retro fitted a 200mm plastic duct to the front so they could use the to pour concrete out of! They also had the post driver version as this is what they were using to put the posts in for the panels to sit on! But great work carnt wait to see this finished!!

Thanks Jordan they're really interesting bits of kit that work in all sorts of places. The one I pictured was used but a ski centre to navigate bogs during summer time reapairs. They had another larger one MST-1500 I think with hiab and post knocker, that's another one I'd like to make.

Thanks Dan, Joe and Adie

Yes I'd seen the Joal one Joe and thought about using it as a onvo but really as this is for my art I wanted it completely scratch built. Also I wanted to try some casting things I hadn't done before and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. The tracks in themselves are something I'm extremely proud of. Although on this model they won't spin I have shown my theory can work and If I get round to doing the larger 1500 I will laser cut the parts so they are exact and line up correctly and everything runs smoothly. Also the track unit is the best bit of casting I've done yet as It uses a mould that feeds the resin in from the bottom up reducing the number of air bubbles.

Very good work. One of those would go really well in my collection, should you decide to go into production

I'll get back to you with that as I do fancy a couple more for my own collection.

I agree with you about scratchbuilding, some people may be happy enough creating a slightly different version of an item that is found in numerous guises in model form and often a great model is created but as my signature says, I'm a fan of diffrent , and thats what I like to build. I think thats why I like Scottish farms and Ski centres as any one that you go to is full of a wealth of ususual things, some of the interesting and diffrent things on my to do list are a Rolba Snow Blower, Snowtrac, Unimog 411 Schmidt Snow Blower, Lynx snow mobile, a number of different era Pisten Bullys, a MAN based chipper truck like what AW Jenkinson have along with alot more forestry kit and small JD which the lodges at the cabin we stayed at had.

Nice work James, you've made a good job of the model.

I used to see these machines a lot until I changed jobs last April, the neighbour there was one of the biggest hire companies in the UK for them and has a few converted machines there for hire as well including one with a Bomford hedge cutter fitted to it.

http://trackeddumperhireuk.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived