The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

Well 5 years ago this happened at Slaidburn and the Hodder show when the 804 won her first rosette....

FB_IMG_1694234081963.jpg.ce8ebbacfd000c0adaa04649d1ae237e.jpg

fast forward 5 years until today and unfortunately this year we are unable to take either the 804 or the 472 on its first show there..    the 472 is running hotter than I'd like, I've changed the thermostat and it's still warmer than I'd like next port of call is to check the water pump before then looking further, although she isn't bubbling the radiator or giving signs that the head Gasket has gone...... meanwhile whilst yesterday's time at the workshop was spent trying to cool the 472, it wasn't until I came to move the 804 back into the shed that there was a tell tale sign on the concrete of the yard that the rear  crank seal has cried enough (possibly on last weekends road run) with the rather large oil leak out of the chassis drain hole beneath the clutch......oh well.... looks like a lot of work over the coming months to get them both back to full health 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

After a week away ( of which I did spot one 4wd Marshall between Pitlochry and Inverness off the A9 ) the sun was shining nicely this morning after a little frost first thing so thought it be good to get the toys out and let them see a bit of sunshine 🙂 considering I not been up to the yard in a while they all went first turn... The beauty of a 4/98, if it turns it'll start 🙂 next on the list of jobs over the winter months will be tackle the rear crank seal on the 804 and possibly delve into the brake housings for a bit of a look..... Meanwhile I've had an offer of a few parts that might be useful at a later date........but all will be revealed once I been over the border with the ifor in tow 😉

IMG_20231015_114949.jpg

IMG_20231015_115104.jpg

IMG_20231015_115131.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of hours investigation work carried out on thowd 804, a good wash and then a bit of a run up the lane to the college and back has found the source of the oil leaks, wrongly diagnosed assuming it was the rear crank seal but actually the engine oil leak is from the rocker cover gasket and oil dribbling down rear if the engine block and along the lower chassis to the underside of clutch housing giving the impression of a crank seal failure, this alone wasn't the full cause of the volume of oil leaked as further investigation fount the orbital unit is leaking up the splines that the steering column slides into, contributing to the oil under the tractor.... That's not too big of an issue as know a man with the mandrel to get the seals in the unit without damaging them.... Also found the right hand half shaft seal leaking and theres a weep from around the PTO but that's been weeping for 5 years..... So a few jobs to do but not as major as I thought..... Which is a bonus 🙂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

A couple of hours investigation work carried out on thowd 804, a good wash and then a bit of a run up the lane to the college and back has found the source of the oil leaks, wrongly diagnosed assuming it was the rear crank seal but actually the engine oil leak is from the rocker cover gasket and oil dribbling down rear if the engine block and along the lower chassis to the underside of clutch housing giving the impression of a crank seal failure, this alone wasn't the full cause of the volume of oil leaked as further investigation fount the orbital unit is leaking up the splines that the steering column slides into, contributing to the oil under the tractor.... That's not too big of an issue as know a man with the mandrel to get the seals in the unit without damaging them.... Also found the right hand half shaft seal leaking and theres a weep from around the PTO but that's been weeping for 5 years..... So a few jobs to do but not as major as I thought..... Which is a bonus 🙂

Think if you dont get orbital unit done right it acts like a hydraulic motor and steering wheel just spins around ,well it do on some case tractors ,think its a danfloss ? unit  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smithy said:

Think if you dont get orbital unit done right it acts like a hydraulic motor and steering wheel just spins around ,well it do on some case tractors ,think its a danfloss ? unit  

Yes your right Smithy, one of the symptoms of that is that the wheel will spin as the oil flows through unit until you put bit of pressure to hold it still, lad  who rebuilt the orbital unit for my old (now Matt's ) 802 gave me a lesson in the job but since he's no longer with us I know the lad that got his mandrels so I'll go to him rather than pay the 275 plus the vat for a new un.... That's all assumed that it's the seals that have gone and not the sealing surfaces that are worn in which case the new unit will be the only way.......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Couple of hours and a turkey butty up at the yard today, had the tractors out before marrooning the 804 at back of workshop to allow stripping down to remove orbital unit for further inspection. Once floor mat and steering column was out the way it was easy enough to trace the source of the oil from the splined shaft where the column slides in. Will hopefully remove the hoses tomorrow and get it o the bench for further investigation.... Funny enough though both tractors not been started since end of October and both went first turn 👍

IMG_20231227_115257.jpg

• Like 6

Another few hours and the orbital is on the bench along with the power steering pump as the input shaft seal has been wanting changed for the past couple of years so thought ideal time whilst the steering system is in bits... Looks like at some point in its earlier life the pump to orbital pressure pipe has burst, and looks like Stevie wonder has had a go at brazing up the pipe... A flock of seagulls wouldn't have made as much of a mess as that..... So a replacement will be sourced when shopping list made of seals and parts... Seeing as I missed yesterday thought I'd include a clip of the 472... Sounding reet 👍

IMG_20231228_103929.jpg

IMG_20231228_103909.jpg

IMG_20231228_123749.jpg

IMG_20231228_151251.jpg

IMG_20231228_151536.jpg

IMG_20231228_151152.jpg

IMG_20231228_151139.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Another few hours and the orbital is on the bench along with the power steering pump as the input shaft seal has been wanting changed for the past couple of years so thought ideal time whilst the steering system is in bits... Looks like at some point in its earlier life the pump to orbital pressure pipe has burst, and looks like Stevie wonder has had a go at brazing up the pipe... A flock of seagulls wouldn't have made as much of a mess as that..... So a replacement will be sourced when shopping list made of seals and parts... Seeing as I missed yesterday thought I'd include a clip of the 472... Sounding reet 👍

IMG_20231228_103929.jpg

IMG_20231228_103909.jpg

IMG_20231228_123749.jpg

IMG_20231228_151251.jpg

IMG_20231228_151536.jpg

IMG_20231228_151152.jpg

IMG_20231228_151139.jpg

That Danfoss steering unit , i had to replace one many years ago cant remember exactly but genuine was about £1500 from main dealer got a after market one for £400 got exactly same part no on it and Danfoss on it but in red oxide instead of case black ,dont see it when fitted 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, smithy said:

That Danfoss steering unit , i had to replace one many years ago cant remember exactly but genuine was about £1500 from main dealer got a after market one for £400 got exactly same part no on it and Danfoss on it but in red oxide instead of case black ,dont see it when fitted 

Can get one from Charnleys for £275 Smithy, aftermarket not original Danfoss though, but thinking along the lines that the two safety critical systems on a tractor are steering and brakes..... That it might be better to bite the bullet and fit new and forget about it rather than get this one resealed at present....given that  Gemma spends more time in the 804 than I do........ Bloke that resealed the one for Matt's 802 when I had it was a time served Leyland mechanic and had a set of the special mandrels to keep everything in place whilst fitting the seals.... But thinking forward if I fit a new one and then happen at a later date see if this one can be resealed then ive a spare on the shelf if i need one as same orbital used across the range of Leylands and Marshall..... But can't get my head round the dodgy soldering job, a new pipe is £25..... Not worth the hassle of trying to solder it up.... Cheers Smithy, I'll pass your compliments on to Gemma as I'm sure she would have done a better job 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more done on the 804 steering system, but thwarted by needing 4 different hydraulic fittings for the new orbital unit otherwise would have had her back together yesterday, set of hydraulic pipes made to copy the originals, and refitted from ram to bulkhead through chassis, the two up to the orbital and the return pipe back to pump, the badly bodged pressure pipe was swapped for a new replacement from Charnleys... Once I get some fittings then can refit the orbital and then should be on her way to having some direction in her life again 🤣 even bent a 9/16" spanner to get better access to the lower inner pump bolt.    

IMG_20240113_132458.jpg

IMG_20240113_122859.jpg

IMG_20240113_135933.jpg

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

After giving the 804 some direction in her life with the steering work, yesterday I thought it was time to set about investigating the niggling faults with the anchors, so a bit of hard graft had the  back wheels off, cab jacked up and brakes stripped down for investigation.... Expanders seem fine but some wear on the fixed discs and a couple of the rotating discs have blued abit in the right hand side housing which even though they run in oil was always the hotter of the two housings like they have been binding a little..... Slave cylinder on left hand side needs a bit of attention too as hadn't noticed it been leaking.... So once stripped thoughts turned to the impending parts bill so to take my mind off it a threw the battery lead back on the 465 and had her a run up the road, considering she not been started since mid October first turn and she was away... Just a simple Sims inline pump. No cold start no heat just a turn of the key and away she goes.....👍

IMG_20240203_095455.jpg

IMG_20240203_110224.jpg

IMG_20240203_110239.jpg

IMG_20240203_110305.jpg

IMG_20240203_112743.jpg

IMG_20240203_122849.jpg

IMG_20240203_122911.jpg

IMG_20240203_122922.jpg

IMG_20240203_142808.jpg

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

No progress with the 804 due to a couple of looming bills that take precedent over tractor parts but gave the 472 her first decent run out  of the year yesterday and took her on a circular route up to the local rally field where hopefully she'll be back at the late May bank holiday weekend..... Anyhow she running ok after a bit of a sticky brake with lack of use but seems fine now... Bit investigation needed as just warming a bit  more than I'd like on a longer climb..... 

IMG_20240217_103704.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A few hours and a flask of coffee up at the yard to get the brakes back in the 804. New intermediate discs, springs and balls for the actuators and new pull rod seals fitted. Housing end plates glued on with the recommendation of loctite 510, good stuff to be honest despite it's price... Then gave her a new pair of slave cylinders only to struggle to get the left hand one to bleed up... Had good fluid at the balance valve, and good fluid at the copper pipe end into the slave so the better of the two original slave cylinders was swapped and bled up first try.... Must be a fault in it but will get it exchanged and then swap it. Cab nailed back down and wheels refitted before adjusting the brakes and giving her a run up the road as a test.. think it's just a bit out of balance but stops better than previously......next job on the list is to tackle an oil leak or three around the pto and halfshafts..... 

IMG_20240302_093305.jpg

IMG_20240302_103741.jpg

IMG_20240302_161237.jpg

IMG_20240302_161012.jpg

IMG_20240302_161023.jpg

IMG_20240302_161107.jpg

IMG_20240302_160957.jpg

• Like 3

Managed a couple of hours yesterday at the shed, though getting behind a bit to where I'd like to be... Anyhow had the 804 out for a 25 mile run of the valley, dropping in at the gateway to our local rally for a photo and passing our wedding venue in a little under 6 months time.. back to the workshop and brakes re adjusted before giving her another quick run up the lane to check... She braking alot better than she did now so must have got summat right..... Then once back under cover dropped the pickup hitch off her and pulled the drain plugs out of the trumpets to let the oil away in readiness for pulling the hydraulic unit off to cure leaking PTO seals and to do the halfshaft seals... Time was against me but would have liked to have had her in bits this weekend ready to go shopping for seals and bits next week.... Though still found time for a couple of Tunnocks T cakes 🤣

IMG_20240309_095959.jpg

IMG_20240309_100032.jpg

IMG_20240309_112215.jpg

IMG_20240309_113931.jpg

IMG_20240309_121110.jpg

• Like 6

Early dart from work yesterday afternoon, a Six-Two shift is sometimes handy 😉 so nipped up to the yard and got the hydraulic unit off to gain access for the PTO seals and halfshafts seals... Hopefully sometime over weekend will have the shafts out ready to re seal

IMG_20240315_143947.jpg

IMG_20240315_144002.jpg

IMG_20240315_144013.jpg

• Like 1

I always wanted to renovate an old tractor until I saw this thread and just how much work goes into it, hats off to you Paul

• Thanks 1

Managed to get back to the workshop today for a couple of hours in the bowels of the 804 and had her wheels off and halfshafts out..... Hopefully next weekend get the shafts re sealed and back in.... Stripping the shafts down will be the biggest task, pulling the outer bearing race off to get the end cap and seals out..... Unfortunately no Tunnocks T cakes today though..... 

IMG_20240317_105522.jpg

IMG_20240317_114517.jpg

IMG_20240317_114430.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/16/2024 at 8:47 AM, robbo said:

I always wanted to renovate an old tractor until I saw this thread and just how much work goes into it, hats off to you Paul

Cheers Mike, it's not as bad as it looks in all honesty, at this age of tractor there's nothing much that can't be sorted with a set of spanners and a socket set.... No need for laptop or fancy software. I guess the heritage and lineage from the first Nuffields stands good steading for a simple design towards service and repair..  think the biggest bonus though is the fact that even though my spare time is spent in a workshop it's actually relaxing working on my own stuff rather than the trucks and trailers at Crosslands for my day to day job......

If it's one thing that you've fancied doing then I say give it a go you'll only regret it at a later time if life when you can't .. and if you had mecanno when you were growing up as a child then your halfway there 👍👍

• Like 2

Another couple of hours up at the yard today..... Got her back on 4 wheels, halfshafts stripped, new felts and oil seals, wear ring checked on the shaft and looked to be almost perfect with no wear marks so left well alone..... Looks like the old seals must have age hardened and gone brittle causing the weeping.... anyhow that cured with new seals, I slid the shafts back in with new gaskets, halfshaft nuts done back up to where they were before stripping with my homemade 8 sided spanner.... Whilst running the shafts round with a prybar across the wheelstuds to settle the wheel bearings... Wheels back on and back on the ground, found time for a flask of coffee and a couple of Tunnocks 😉 next job in the list will be reseal the PTO at weekend and get the hydraulic unit back on.... 

IMG_20240323_102043.jpg

IMG_20240323_102059.jpg

IMG_20240323_111135.jpg

IMG_20240323_124425.jpg

IMG_20240323_124440.jpg

IMG_20240323_133017.jpg

IMG_20240323_132717.jpg

IMG_20240323_125154.jpg

• Like 4