The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

As one or two of you on here already know I've recently acquired myself a new "toy" in the form of a '63 Fordson Super Major, it's an older restoration and been used for a bit of work since been being restored and just in need of a handful of small odd jobs to finish her off..... She's definatley a go-er and looking forward to taking her to a show or two and on the odd road run :)

• Like 1

Cheers for all the comments and likes guys :) Was a full resto about 5 years ago Sean and was originally on 14x30's on the rear but these were replaced with 16.9's  with the original sized 7.50's up front. When restored it had the optional pick-up hitch but the lad I bought her off swapped it to the swinging drawbar as she's baled about 400 small bales this year before I got her. I'm hopefully going to pick the hitch up one night next week after work as it was in with the deal.

Once she's had a bit of a tidy up and finishing bits done she might do a bit of  light work Martin, need to track down a rocker bracket that the top link fits in as it's currently missing, so no linkage work till I've found one of them. Like your idea James but will have to see if she ever goes into timber work ;D

More updates as work progresses;)

• Like 1

Cheers for all the comments and likes guys :) Was a full resto about 5 years ago Sean and was originally on 14x30's on the rear but these were replaced with 16.9's  with the original sized 7.50's up front. When restored it had the optional pick-up hitch but the lad I bought her off swapped it to the swinging drawbar as she's baled about 400 small bales this year before I got her. I'm hopefully going to pick the hitch up one night next week after work as it was in with the deal.

Once she's had a bit of a tidy up and finishing bits done she might do a bit of  light work Martin, need to track down a rocker bracket that the top link fits in as it's currently missing, so no linkage work till I've found one of them. Like your idea James but will have to see if she ever goes into timber work ;D

More updates as work progresses;)

Lanark next year Paul,>:D Try Sparex for your linkage parts http://www.gb.sparex.com/catalogue_pdfs/S.70067/pdf_converted1_4/Publication.pdf

Regards

Joe.

• Like 1

Hahaha cheers Joe and your not far wrong Martin.... though she tramps on well enough the seat rubbers do need a bit of tlc, she's got one of the rest-o-ride seats on her, so a bit better ride than a normal pan seat, Found a kit for re-bushing it so that's on the list of jobs to do ;)

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 1

All that overtime has finally been put to good use Paul,  a good choice too. I always fancied one of these myself, but not easy to find. Some desirable options there with

rest-o-ride seat and especially pick up hitch, power assisted steering next?

Where did you get the seat refurb kit from?

• Like 1

I'm not a Fordson person myself  but I do prefer the blue/grey livery rather than the blue/orange. Would I be somewhere near the mark Paul if I were to guess that this tractor is an E1A major of 1956 to '62 or an early DDN?

• Like 1

Cheers Paul and John :) Aye Paul, some of that overtime got put to good use! I'm tempted to fit a power steering kit with the options on her it would then almost make her a full spec tractor from back in the day, maybe a wheel weight or two might be on the shopping list but time and funds will be the main factor. The Rest-o-ride repair kit is listed on old20 parts's webpage under the major listings ;). I'm sure John will agree with you Martin about almost 40k, she seems to like to get up an go :)

The E1A and DDN are one and the same thing Tim, both are taken from the serial/chassis number, from the new major, it went to the diesel major, power major and super major with the new performance super major being it's last incarnation with various developments along the way,  this one is from 63 when the change to blue and grey happened, the year before the super major was phased out in 64 to be replaced by Fords 6X range ;)

• Like 2

Little update....

Had an hour or two on her yesterday, Radiator been flushed through and given a dose of Anti-freeze ready for winter, found and fixed a broken wire to the number plate light and fit up the pto guard and cap that were missing with replacements. Pickup hitch been collected but going to need a bit of a fettle up as there's a bit of play in the pivots. still we all like a challenge ;)

Photo0156_zpsvrfg0edl.jpg

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 5