The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

9 hours ago, smithy said:

You are making good progress on that Paul , you now what they say ,Behind every good man there is a good Women pushing him along 😂 Well done Gemma 👍👍👍

Cheers Smithy, aye your right, though I think Gemma's quite enjoying working on the tractor... I'm hoping by the back end of summer for it to be out and about so any faults that develops I've time to cure them before the Christmas road run... she won't be the prettiest tractor on the run and look like a bit of a patch work quilt but if I can keep dry and warm it's a bonus over the 465 😂

• Like 3

Brought my 3/4 drive breaker bar home from work and whipped right hand rear wheel off to allow for the repairs to the bottom front edge of the inner wing.... There's a bit of weight in these Pavt wheels...... Wouldn't want to be handling them day in day out......

IMG_20220303_145426.jpg

IMG_20220303_145508.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Anderson Agri said:

Coming along well mate

When can i send the lorry up North for my 262 to go through the workshop for the works 😆

Cheers Zac..... I'll need to get this one finished before I start owt else... Why is she in need of a bit of intimacy with a grinder and welder??

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers Zac..... I'll need to get this one finished before I start owt else... Why is she in need of a bit of intimacy with a grinder and welder??

Yes a bit its starting to deteriorate around the wings and doors. And now clutch linkage is sticking and left hand brake seized on where its been sat over autumn/winter shame it just needs a good going through 

12 minutes ago, Anderson Agri said:

Yes a bit its starting to deteriorate around the wings and doors. And now clutch linkage is sticking and left hand brake seized on where its been sat over autumn/winter shame it just needs a good going through 

Oh hell... Just wants using a bit to keep things free... Though once the rot starts it's a long term project... I'm actually surprised that the bottoms of the inner wings hadn't gone on the 472... But there's a lot of sound metal left in her I've only replaced what was necessary.... Thing is if you sent it up would I send it back 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Oh hell... Just wants using a bit to keep things free... Though once the rot starts it's a long term project... I'm actually surprised that the bottoms of the inner wings hadn't gone on the 472... But there's a lot of sound metal left in her I've only replaced what was necessary.... Thing is if you sent it up would I send it back 🤣🤣

Im ashamed to say it hasnt been getting that much use, not been a lot of shows and its not the go to tractor to do anything with as ive got others. Shame id like to get it fully restored one day, ive been toying with the idea of moving it on a few times as it just doesnt get the use anymore

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Anderson Agri said:

Im ashamed to say it hasnt been getting that much use, not been a lot of shows and its not the go to tractor to do anything with as ive got others. Shame id like to get it fully restored one day, ive been toying with the idea of moving it on a few times as it just doesnt get the use anymore

Mmm I been there when the 802 was sat where the 472 is now, I bought the 802 as a stop gap but then I got my hands on the 804 I'd been chasing so the 802 got shelved... Only doing bits to it when I got the urge... Im glad it went to a good home though. I guess that's the thing now you've the big Fords that the 262 gets left out.... Reckon it would make a nice tractor though... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Mmm I been there when the 802 was sat where the 472 is now, I bought the 802 as a stop gap but then I got my hands on the 804 I'd been chasing so the 802 got shelved... Only doing bits to it when I got the urge... Im glad it went to a good home though. I guess that's the thing now you've the big Fords that the 262 gets left out.... Reckon it would make a nice tractor though... 

Thats exactly the trouble i have and still undecided, It just needs some love ive thrown quite a few new parts at it recently and it owes me quite a bit and it was my first tractor. Just unsure if i want to part with it

1 minute ago, Anderson Agri said:

Thats exactly the trouble i have and still undecided, It just needs some love ive thrown quite a few new parts at it recently and it owes me quite a bit and it was my first tractor. Just unsure if i want to part with it

Just put it at the back of the shed now it's up, it won't take much harm for now, and once the 472 is getting nearer we can have a chat and see... Being your first I wouldn't do anything too hasty .......

• Like 1

Another productive few hours up at the workshop with Gemma, she done well today as she picked up the MIG welder and set about tacking in the panel that I cut and clamped in Friday afternoon...Sanded up and then the lower edge cut out and another repair section tacked in and welded, sanded and finally given a good coat of red lead.

IMG_20220306_140326.jpg

IMG_20220306_140353.jpg

IMG_20220306_140402.jpg

IMG_20220306_152730~2.jpg

IMG_20220306_152746~2.jpg

• Like 4

Also got the left-hand side inner wing built up tacked in and welded, joint seam sealed, filled, sanded and given a coat of red lead, won't be long before we can start getting a bit of Leyland light blue splashed about then the windows can start going back in and then refit the mudguards.. she starting to look alot healthier than she did when she arrived.

We got left-hand wheel off and then cut out the lower section of the left-hand inner wing cut out where it joins the foot plate, small patch needed but nowt serious on this side that the all panel needs replaced...... 

Apologies photos haven't posted in correct order.... 

IMG_20220303_104842.jpg

IMG_20220303_140255.jpg

IMG_20220303_130238~2.jpg

IMG_20220303_121248~2.jpg

IMG_20220303_104904~2.jpg

IMG_20220303_094341~2.jpg

IMG_20220303_094322~2.jpg

IMG_20220303_140331~2.jpg

IMG_20220306_140421.jpg

IMG_20220306_152803.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jmd said:

coming along nicely Paul im going to have to bob up one weekend and have a look other wise its going to be finished. neat job of the welding too Gemma👍

Cheers John, aye we making a bit of progress, think Gemma enjoying it being so different to her job.... though it's still a long way to go to the finishing line...... Should happen see the back of the welding next weekend for a bit, brakes are ready to drop back in so that'll get done whilst wheels are off, but hope to get them cleaned up and silverd before going back on as they a heavy lump to take on and off... no bother, I'm sure there be summat to see whilst you have a brew if you Bob up... 👍

• Like 1

A spare hour so little update, patch cut and clamped in ready for the welder to finish off the left hand inner wing, and the steps has the silly 1" box section extension cut off them that must have been farmer fitted at some point in their life to act as a lower step, ground up the welds and cleaned up ready for a dose of red lead 

IMG_20220310_124117.jpg

IMG_20220310_124213.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, smithy said:

Great job there Paul/Gemma , Gemma must have a good teacher to be able to weld uphill ☺️ i struggle on the flat.

Cheers Smithy, seeing as these aren't structural we washed the welds downhill to keep the heat input down and try and stop a bit of distortion... But secretly I think Gemma's a natural to a mig welder

• Like 2

Another productive few hours on the 472, and a surprise visitor for a natter and a catch up over a brew with John JMD, so Gemma set about the inner wing with the mig whilst I set about cleaning the rear wheels off with the needle gun, Gemma having a go on last side after she'd finished with the welder, before setting on with a wire brush on grinder ready for a dose of red lead next... 

IMG_20220313_114957.jpg

IMG_20220310_143933.jpg

IMG_20220311_114519.jpg

IMG_20220311_123746.jpg

IMG_20220311_133731.jpg

IMG_20220313_123715.jpg

• Like 5

It was good to come and have a look Paul at yours and Gemma's work you look to be doing a good job👍although it was Gemma doing all the work whilst i was there although you did make us all a brew😀

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jmd said:

It was good to come and have a look Paul at yours and Gemma's work you look to be doing a good job👍although it was Gemma doing all the work whilst i was there although you did make us all a brew😀

Well someone has to brew up 🤣 aye hopefully get a bit more done over next few weeks, though it'll look like nowts getting done whilst we are playing with the wiring loom..... good to see you though, I'll have to get photos of the envelopes and get them posted up.... 👍

• Like 1