The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

7 hours ago, smithy said:

Looking real good there Paul , i have thought about getting a needle gun ,any recommendations as to make ,is it a slow job  

Thanks Smithy, yes getting the wings bolted up yesterday was one of the hurdles we wanted to clear, with the amount of cutting and welding, and some distortion that's unavoidable with the different contraction rates during cooling with the mild steel and stainless steel I've replaced the rot with.... It was a good sign when everything lined up and sits fairly true 👍 As for a needle gun, they not a bad tool, just slower than sandblasting and also noisy.... But cleaner without all the dust and sand.... Maybe was looking at just over an hour per side on the back wheels, a good user will get a fantastic finish but I tend to let the needles rub in a small maybe inch and a half circular motion so you get e percentage of overlap as yo move along the work, the slower you travel the better job it does. The one I have is an old Chicago Pneumatic, it has 1/8 needles in it and my little compressor can keep up with it, at work we have a Descouter with 3/16 needles, does a great job but needs a lot if air through it... Yet my landlord has one that he got from Machine mart and he's never had a problem with it just a handy sized job but it does what he needs it to do

• Thanks 1

A little change from updated on the 472, I had these old photos sent to me off Martin the previous owner of my 4/65 taken at a working day he organised back in 2009... To be fair she hasn't aged much in the past 13 years, I actually think a tractor kept in a drafty shed with good air flow or even left outdoors so the moisture can escape survives better than one tucked up in a sealed shed.... Leyland legend Graham Hill at the wheel, Graham who owns the 1st production 4100 off the line at Bathgate... 

FB_IMG_1647412714509.jpg

FB_IMG_1647412734942.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/14/2022 at 4:49 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

Thanks Smithy, yes getting the wings bolted up yesterday was one of the hurdles we wanted to clear, with the amount of cutting and welding, and some distortion that's unavoidable with the different contraction rates during cooling with the mild steel and stainless steel I've replaced the rot with.... It was a good sign when everything lined up and sits fairly true 👍 As for a needle gun, they not a bad tool, just slower than sandblasting and also noisy.... But cleaner without all the dust and sand.... Maybe was looking at just over an hour per side on the back wheels, a good user will get a fantastic finish but I tend to let the needles rub in a small maybe inch and a half circular motion so you get e percentage of overlap as yo move along the work, the slower you travel the better job it does. The one I have is an old Chicago Pneumatic, it has 1/8 needles in it and my little compressor can keep up with it, at work we have a Descouter with 3/16 needles, does a great job but needs a lot if air through it... Yet my landlord has one that he got from Machine mart and he's never had a problem with it just a handy sized job but it does what he needs it to do

Been to my local agri- machinery dealer today ,AGRI-HIRE ,and spoke to my mate that works there about needle-guns ,he is getting some info on some and coming back to me shortly , Pistol-grip ones .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smithy said:

Been to my local agri- machinery dealer today ,AGRI-HIRE ,and spoke to my mate that works there about needle-guns ,he is getting some info on some and coming back to me shortly , Pistol-grip ones .

I'm sure you'll like it Smithy, Shame you weren't nearer and you could have had mine for a demo.... the one I have is a straight one not a pistol type, but a pistol one would be more comfortable to use over a larger area I would say..  have had a look and ordered a new set of needles for mine at £21 the set that been in must have been in for over 10 years so apart from needing to supply them a bit of wind and a drop or two of oil in them from time to time they a cheap way of cleaning off metal.... Just bit  un suitable for anything less than 3mm really as they start to deform the metal but anything above 3mm they bob on just remember your earplugs 👍

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 1

Thanks for the offer of a demo if we was bit closer , for me i think the pistol-grip one will be easer to hold with my slightly bent wrist , i have a pistol-grip air chisel that i get on with ok , i have a pair of wheels i would like to clean up ,will let you now when i get one and yes got the earplugs ready and a set of earmuffs to go over the top 👍 

• Like 1

A trip to the spiritual home of Nuffield and Leyland tractors (aka Charnleys) this morning, to pillage a few brake bits, caught up with John (JMD) son Matt for a natter and also fellow Leyland fanatic Colin Stafford who was there collecting a freshly purchased McCormick tractor.... Anyhow I digress, once back at the yard I set on with  bit of red lead on the pre cleaned steps and then set about whipping the rest of her clothes off to gain access to the front cab panel... hopefully tomorrow I'll get the slave cylinders and linkages mounted for the brakes and the Flexi pipes run in ready for making a couple of new brake pipesIMG_20220319_153627.thumb.jpg.1f30e2958798c2500aaff685de01ddc9.jpgIMG_20220317_124116.thumb.jpg.f273a6475062e5d0c4dca1e9319045d3.jpgIMG_20220319_153247.thumb.jpg.d1c9dedcca095f097bf73ca48877c6e4.jpgIMG_20220319_153516.thumb.jpg.22c8dff61b946fa640f0909b8baff7f3.jpgIMG_20220319_153516.thumb.jpg.22c8dff61b946fa640f0909b8baff7f3.jpgIMG_20220319_153607.thumb.jpg.07156268bf25c82cb0aca9827f58ea5b.jpg

• Like 4

Unfortunately today's shift at the shed didn't quite reach expectations in work goals... Ended up stripping the diff lock pedal and mounting bracket out of the right hand side trumpet housing and stripping the foot clutch  and mounting for the PTO clutch out off the left hand trumpet to gain access to the seized pins in the old push rod end mounting brackets to enable the fitment of the new brake slaves..... So now it's all stripped back might as well set about cleaning it all up and giving it a coat of dark blue before putting it all back together.... So seeing as the brakes are still an on going saga.... I got the back wheels lashed with red lead... 

IMG_20220317_113637.jpg

IMG_20220317_113648.jpg

IMG_20220319_122241.jpg

IMG_20220319_122301.jpg

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 5

Bit of silver splashed about tonight and first side of a rear wheel given its first coat... Actually covered not too bad probably a second coat and I'll call it a bobber,  also tried a bit of Leyland dark blue on the off side trumpet housing again it's not covered too bad, dabbed the blue dipped brush in and around the anchor points for the brake linkages so hopefully get them back in over weekend if all goes to plan

IMG_20220325_195934.jpg

IMG_20220325_195849.jpg

• Like 6

Bit more done, other sides of rear wheels given first coat of silver, floor plates cleaned off and given a dose of red lead, brake linkages refitted, new slaves and return springs, new flexi hoses and a pair of new evergreens to join up to the coppers at the bulkhead, just shy of a bit of dot4 brake fluid for a bleed up .....

IMG_20220326_165357.jpg

IMG_20220326_165342.jpg

IMG_20220326_144203~2.jpg

IMG_20220326_144519.jpg

IMG_20220326_144335.jpg

IMG_20220326_144411.jpg

IMG_20220326_144541.jpg

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, jmd said:

Bit of colour makes a big difference paul looking good

Cheers John, aye just thought I'd see what the trumpets came out like with a bit of blue on, think the chassis will stand being brushed, like the wheels though Gemma done a good job getting the silver on today, whilst keeping an eye on Mick's Lambs... A couple of them were trying to be escape artists......

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Cheers John, aye just thought I'd see what the trumpets came out like with a bit of blue on, think the chassis will stand being brushed, like the wheels though Gemma done a good job getting the silver on today, whilst keeping an eye on Mick's Lambs... A couple of them were trying to be escape artists......

Must be fairly good mechanical is it Paul? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FendtFarmer said:

Must be fairly good mechanical is it Paul? 

Aye mechanical she's ok Ben, runs well, doesn't jump out of high range and 4wd seems nice and tight like it hasn't done a massive amount of heavy draft work.... She had a clutch before Tom sold her to me, now brakes are back in her the only other thing that needs the spanners I'd the spool block for the auxiliaries... Seems to be seized but will strip it and investigate, Pick up hitch needs a bit of work if truth be told as it seems right with being stood like the pivots are seizeing up... Other than that it's just a wiring loom and lights and test of tin work tidying up and paint... She was good under neath just rough on top 

Edited by Valley Axe Man
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

your getting a dam impressive finish for just brush work paul, last time i saw wheels hand painted they looked terrible, all streaky and ridged from the brush, in-fact they stripped them and did it again with a spray gun (one of my uncles ) 

Cheers Sean, well the wheels cleaned up fairly well with the needle gun, would have had better finish with sand blasting but set about with a wire brush in grinder, there's still one or two bits that I couldn't get clean but on a whole I'm happy with them, they then got a good coat of red lead with a slug of thinners in it, once dry got a good rub down then the thinners got splashed in the silver, it flows out fairly well from the brush on the rims so don't get too many brush marks, and the centres bring cast already have a textured finish from the casting process but the thinned paint flows out covering the textured surface.... Spraying would be better but due to their shape there's too many places for runs to form.... Hence why I always do wheels with a brush but Gemma really done well on these. Trumpets got same treatment but with dark blue.... Chassis will stand being brushed I think...

That be a handy little bit of kit there Smithy 👍 not long back from today's shift at the shed, didn't quite go according to plan as called by yesterday to pick up the hand clutch for the PTO on way back from a trip to Masham and the Black Sheep Brewery with Gemma, anyhow a slight oversight and accidentally picked up a handbrake rather than PTO clutch... Well back to the weeks update.... Brakes bled before setting off to the brewery, so just needs adjusting once rear wheels are on, and then today's work has been more cleaning and priming, cleaned off the inside if the cab, bit more chassis, removed the prop cover and cleaned out before cleaning off and priming,front diff cleaned off and a trial of the light blue on the inner wing to see what coverage would be like.... Maybe needs just a touch more thinners but does seem to cover fairly well off the roller and brush 

IMG_20220403_131832.jpg

IMG_20220403_131854.jpg

IMG_20220403_161505_2.jpg

IMG_20220403_161520_1.jpg

IMG_20220403_161558_2.jpg

IMG_20220403_161609_1.jpg

• Like 8

A few productive hours with Gemma on what could be called Blue Sunday 🤣 got the handbrake swapped for a hand clutch on a quick trip up to Tom's, and had a cheeky brew and bit of cake in Wray on way back ... Anyhow hand clutch cleaned, primed and top coated, hand brake top coated battery box dropped out, cleaned primed and top coated, previously primed front chassis given a top coat of dark blue, just need to get my hands on a couple of 3/4" unf bolts before I can refit the hand clutch and hand brake and couple the clevises up.... Meanwhile Gemma set on giving the outside of the cab its first coat of light blue and also gave the mudguards a rub off and first coat.... 

IMG_20220410_155128.jpg

IMG_20220410_155210.jpg

IMG_20220410_155344.jpg

IMG_20220410_155358.jpg

IMG_20220410_155242.jpg

IMG_20220410_155251.jpg

IMG_20220410_155311.jpg

IMG_20220410_155409.jpg

IMG_20220410_155437.jpg

IMG_20220410_155507.jpg

IMG_20220410_155549.jpg

IMG_20220410_155233.jpg