glue residue

weblet375

Question

8 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

You can't Andy. It may, if your lucky be condensation, but I fear you have got what's we call glue smoking. Joe( catcom) has a fair bit of info on this, give him a message.

Might be usefull for us all to hear this info. I have a small amount of smoking on a cab I glazed, I thought it would come off with super glue remover but havent got round to trying yet, looks like it'll be a new section of glazing.

3 hours ago, chris.watson said:

You can't Andy. It may, if your lucky be condensation, but I fear you have got what's we call glue smoking. Joe( catcom) has a fair bit of info on this, give him a message.

I.m not sure how to remove it Chris,how to avoid it yes,but if it was me I would try rubbing with liquid Brasso and a soft cloth then polish with furniture polish,hope that helps.

Regards

Joe.

You can buy a smog free superglue, I did once and it did work ok, but isn't as strong as normal superglue I found, the rc plane guys use it a lot for canopy work on their stuff ,the brand eludes me at the moment but I will have a proper look when I get home 

A model truck forum I'm on suggest sanding it back slowly increasing the fineness of the paper till its polished smooth but they have ridiculous levels of patience. They also recomend using PVA for glazing however they build much more delicate models and I doubt PVA wpuld have the strength for farm models

ok you have get my attention ,even the smokeless super glues will still smoke on some glazing because it is all about air movement ..however to remove the smoke effect you can use toothpaste but that can be a bit harsh the best stuff to use is G6 farecla polishing compound ,put some on a cotton bud and rub gently then use a clean one to remove the compound a bit like polishing in miniature  ,the g6 compound will dissolve with water as it is water based this will as so remove light scratches on cars etc. it is also very  very good for something else on models but that is,,,, top secret ,,,

tip when you glue glazing use a clear 2k bond/ glue a bit like araldite not super glue or any kind and just take your time doing a bit at a time

Archived