What really annoyed you today

• 3 weeks later...

Logged on ok with my laptop when I got home from work , went out for a couple of hrs and now when I log on my laptop has somehow totally wiped its self clean , appears to log on ok until you get into my account and every picture , word document , music and video files gone , all the program's installed have gone , Internet book marks the whole system is like a brand new laptop .System restores not working either ??? Same on the wife's profile?? At a total loss as it closed down ok when I left. Only access I have is via my mobile .we have a horrible feeling we have just lost a huge amount of pics and stuff from holidays and of the granddaughter since she was born let alone the rest .

Have a look at the 'computeractive' forum Sean, you'd need to join it by registering but there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful nerds on there, post up what you've said here and they'll tell you what's what and possibly how to do a recovery if it's possible, mind you, they also talk a lot of crap as well and suggestions for downloads that I would never touch with a barge finger. If you've done a backup of your files you should be able to find them again but I can't tell you how to I'm afraid, not that PC savvy. Hope you can get it all back again.

Wife's on the case Tim but right now she's stumped and she's way more clued up than me . She's found some of my pics on her profile which now seems to have come back after some tinkering but not all of them and my account's still effectively blank sheet new ? I gave up after 20 mins trying , she will go all night unless i stop her ( which i will after the film i want to watch is finished )as she loves to solve problems like this

Wife's on the case Tim but right now she's stumped and she's way more clued up than me . She's found some of my pics on her profile which now seems to have come back after some tinkering but not all of them and my account's still effectively blank sheet new ? I gave up after 20 mins trying , she will go all night unless i stop her ( which i will after the film i want to watch is finished )as she loves to solve problems like this

:o Sounds horiffic Sean (and that reminds me I really need to backup my files)

Just going through emails to delete old and unwanted ones came across a few between myself and another person who used to be on the forum. I had an email from this person out of the blue, he had not been active on the Forum for about 2 years but was still looking at it from time to time and still collecting. He remembered the McConnell front loader bale slave that I had made and I remember at the time that he asked if I could make him one, this never happened because I never heard from him again until he emailed me asking if I could still do one for him so after a few to and fro emails I made one and sent it to him with printed instructions how to fit it to his Britain's front loader, well, that was the last I've heard from him . I don't know why and the circumstances why but I think that was the very last time I did a favour like this for anyone, I think that in the future they would have to pay first! Perhaps I'm too soft.

It's not the money that bothers me really as it didn't cost a bean to make it and the postage wasn't much, it's the fact that he never even bothered to ask in the first place and never bothered to acknowledge that he'd received it, which he obviously did, I'm sure I would of heard if he hadn't, it's the principal. I still have his details so I'll drop him a communication one day to see if he's still alive and perhaps bring him to the surface again, that's if he bothers to have the courtesy to reply but even if not he'll know that I haven't forgot about it, an elephant never forgets!

• 1 month later...

Was doing a bit of DIY today and needed to pop to B & Q to get a small part to finish the job off. Pulled up in the car park and went in, found the aforementioned part for the grand total of £1.35, paid up and then headed back out to the car park.

To find my wing mirror smashed and lying on the floor!!! I had only been in the store 10 minutes, MAX.

I went back inside to see if they had any CCTV to be told that whilst it is recording the operator is on a day off and won't be able to check until tomorrow.

Now this is where it starts to be "what really pleased you"

When I got back into the car park there were 2 Police cars with scruffy reprobates wearing handcuffs. I was just in time to hear the store detective saying "and then I chased him between these cars and he knocked the wing mirror of this car". He then looked at me standing there with a piece of broken plastic in may hand.

The Police officer then laughed out loud as he looked at me and got a mouthful of good natured abuse back as he was someone I used to work with.

I tried to get him to take a statement from me but he said "you can write your own".

So alls well that ends well and I even managed to put the wing mirror back together.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

royal mail,Sean when at zwolle kindly got me 2 original beacons for my nh t6090,posted them last tuesday and nothing has turned up,i can get the beacons abroad,but the postage is so expensive just for 2 beacons,thats why sean kindly got them for me,so royal mail are not my most popular people at the moment

Just going through emails to delete old and unwanted ones came across a few between myself and another person who used to be on the forum. I had an email from this person out of the blue, he had not been active on the Forum for about 2 years but was still looking at it from time to time and still collecting. He remembered the McConnell front loader bale slave that I had made and I remember at the time that he asked if I could make him one, this never happened because I never heard from him again until he emailed me asking if I could still do one for him so after a few to and fro emails I made one and sent it to him with printed instructions how to fit it to his Britain's front loader, well, that was the last I've heard from him . I don't know why and the circumstances why but I think that was the very last time I did a favour like this for anyone, I think that in the future they would have to pay first! Perhaps I'm too soft.

That gives the hobby a bad name realy, cheeky sod.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had a quote for a reconditioned gearbox, new dual mass flywheel and a clutch kit in my Defender that comes to less than that including 8hrs labour for the fitting and the dreaded VAT so it does sound really steep!

I decided it was time for a full service what the dealers call a 54,000-mile or cam belt service. Biggest items on the menu were: crankshaft pulley replacement (£153); replacement steering idler (£231), new right-rear leaf spring (£136, an old substitute bush was apparently digging in to the chassis at the front end) and replacing corroded and supposedly leaking fuel lines (£136), which didn't seem to be leaking when I checked them a month or two ago but they did need replacing at some point.

They had heaps of trouble removing an old bush & u-bolts on the springs and so labour cost was high (in the end they just replaced the entire thing).

Many of the faults were due to dodgy repairs or lack of servicing by previous owners. Had I been able to afford these repairs I would have done it years ago!  ::)