What really annoyed you today

Actually I posted the picture in the Oxford Times and there have been numerous enquiries - apparently  bicycle parking is a really problem in the city ;)

cheers hun did wonder why i been getting calls for crane parking sevices  :-*

What really annoyed me >:( Well, my cup of Earl Grey is always cold by the time I get to drink it >:(

have a cold drink next time ie pimms  :P :P :P

Alex jogged my memory as to some conversations I have had recently regarding agricultural wages in relation to ahem.... 'skilled' wage rates.

You see, agriculture isn't classed as a skilled profession, oh no. An agricultural workers is a joe that drives tractors and feeds cows and that.

A skilled worker has a van with mirror graphics on it. Maybe a couple of grands worth of tools in it too. A skilled worker can fix electrics, work with wood, build a wall, stop a water leak, tile a roof, lay a patio, create an aesthetically pleasing water feature. He or she can work for 7 hours a day and take home £150 or more for his or her efforts. A union may eve do all their H&R and workers rights stuff for them.

A person that just works on a farm drives a machine that can vary from a £500 scraper tractor to a £250,000 combine. Such a person may even have the ability to spray £1000's of chemicals on crops belonging to other people or plant thousands of acres of crops for customers. Hell, this person may even have to work up to 15 hours a day and still not take home £150 for his or her efforts. Maybe even have to calve a cow and save both their lives during a difficult birth, diagnose health problems in livestock, be up at all hours of the night to check on them. It may even be that this person will have to fix electrics, work with wood, build a wall, stop a water leak, tile a  roof, concrete a yard, create an aesthetically pleasing water trough or service both static and mobile machinery. For days, this person may have to work on their own in risky environments, cleaning grain handling machinery, driers and the like, stacking grass on pits made from wooden sides and up to and over 15ft high, work around slurry lagoons, large animals, uneven and slippery surfaces, up dodgy ladders, on asbestos roofs........

As you can see a big difference in jobs, work, risks, training, varied ability, responsibility and so on and on. Now argue that one persons time is worth three times as much per hour than the other.

I totally agree Tris, in the past two weeks my job has been extremely varied and when people say that its unskilled then it really annoys me. I'll list below a few of the jobs I've done which certainly do not come under the driving a tractor up and down a field heading

Completely rewired 14t AS corn trailer

Completely rewired articulated straw trailer

Replaced and refitted hydraulic brake lines to above trailer involving welding some new bracketry to it

Welded stand back onto irrigation pipe trailer

Layed out and joined 200 9m long irrigation pipes, working out where bends were needed and how to get them through hedges and around corners along with access points for spraying

Spread 100kg/hectare of nitrate onto the spuds avoiding getting any on the margins to comply with stewardship schemes

I would say that there was a fair bit of skill involved in those jobs, if we had got an electrical engineer in to do the first two I bet he'd have been paid a lot more than I was for doing it.

We did employ an inexperienced student last year who had never worked on a farm before, I'm sure some of you will remember what I said about him at the time but we will NEVER employ another inexperieced one again if we can help it, he's half the reason we had to replace the potato harvester. some of the damage he inflicted is below:

Reversed JCB into 415v fuseboard in grainstore

Hit a car with JCB

Ripped hoses off the corn trailer

Damaged rear mudguard on 6910

Bent steps and broke front mud guard off 6810

Drove through narrow strip of standing corn to get to combine to unload

Whacked elevator on potato harvester 5 times, bending it forwards at 45 degrees the final time

Hit church wall with trailer, demolishing two hydrant markers, slashing tyre and buckling rim in process

Running tractor out of diesel

Bending mudguards on JCB

I know all students aren't the same but we just can't take the risk again, the amount of extra stress he caused me on the potato harvester was unbelievable. We have a older lad coming with us this year who was carefully selected, a builder by trade but has helped us out before so we know how careful he is

All very true Tris. I think another aspect to this is that rates of pay for any profession in rural areas ,are far lower than those for the same work in more urban areas. This is Definately the case in Cornwall !

Exactly my point, Gav. Just the rewiring makes a good one, take an automotive electrician to do that and you'd have a hefty bill!!

Exactly, whereas I went to the auto electrical place in town and bought 2 rolls of heavy grade 7 core cable, 6 light units, 3 number plate lights, 3 junction boxes, bulbs, 3 packs of cable ties, 3 plugs, 2 front marker lights and 15m of 2 core cable for £230. So far I've done 2 of the three trailers I have to do and its taken 6 hrs which isn't even £50 in my wages ::)

Sounds like you got one heck of a student Gav  ;D  I've only done one out of that list  ::)  :D  We're not all the same  ;)  the days of just driving tractors are gone, Now you need to be fit to look after them and the machinery aswell, Service etc.

Also its a skill in itself operating the machines now!  :of

Anyway for me, My laptop mouse is buggered  ???  Drawing 3D CAD with it is a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

What initially got me thinking about all this was back lastyear when we got a mates rates bill from our sparky at £23/hr, I had to work 3hrs to pay for that. So his bill for me cost a months wages, not taking into account I still had my own costs like mortgage, fuel, 'phone. Putting it like that it works out at . . . . Disgusting.

just endured sainsburys for the shopping, anyone would think the whole of the worlds shutting down for the bank holiday monday, place was totally manic  >:( >:(>:( >:(

almost the same here Sean except I have been to Asda, we are having a family BBQ tomorrow and I think we have got enough to cater for the entire street........plenty of beer and red wine though  ::) ::)::) ::)::)

Being told that I am being transferred onto the general patrol team and back onto 24/7 shifts just to make way for a female officer who has been in an office job but can't do shifts because of child care issues >:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(

Being told that I am being transferred onto the general patrol team and back onto 24/7 shifts just to make way for a female officer who has been in an office job but can't do shifts because of child care issues >:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(

Thats teriible news Mike.. Sounds terrible unfair  >:(

Me well just 3 hours stuck on the M25  :'(

Waking at 1.55 am this morning and thinking shix when I loaded the tractor I ran dry the carb disconnected the coil wire but forgot shut off the stop switch. Up and out and peek under the cover hand on coil and coil was warm. Disconnected battery and now back on charge. Now feeling wide awake >:( >:(

Flipping sideband on the CB. Got to run so much squelch I can hardly hear anyone. . . . actually that ought to be what pleased me!!

I thought I was about the only person using CBs still.  :D

One hard packed unchoped round balage bale that would not break up on the feeder, had to shake it to bits with the tractor, now there is grass all over the tractor, ohh good fun, then some one tryed to pass me as i was turning into my gate way, Muppets