Kverneland "buck rake"

I'm not sure what it's called in English, but in Norwegian it's called "Høysvans". Mainly for transporting large quantities of hay into storage! The picture below is just an example of what it looks like.

11619134_660x495.jpg

Started this build tonight and thought I'd share the progress so far with everyone!

The easy part is done now, roughly at least!

DSC_0436.JPG

Thank you! I must add, I just saw that the illustration photo I added is a different model than what I'm building, I measured the one we have at home where I grew up - but it's more or less very similar :)

Good start jan, this system was also used in England, the grass would be cut with fingerbar mowers back then, left to sry then "swept" up and transported back to the farm. I haven't seen them with the arm on the top before, although it looks a good idea as there was apparently more grass dropped between the field and farmyard than was actually in the clamp. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Small update, trying to make a little progress day by day since I have a few projects going on simultaneously. Just finished putting the main pieces together, next step would be to finish some of the details, fit it to a rear hitch and do some adjustments on the upper arms since they turned out a bit asymmetrical. 

I'm beginning to regret not making the upper part movable, but I might just try to make another improved version later on :) 
(Don't know why the photos are rotated when I upload them, sorry about that!)

2017-09-26_19_54_57.jpg

2017-09-26_19_55_07.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been a long time since I did any work on my projects now, lost a bit of motivation and haven't had much time. But managed to put together a few pieces tonight and did a test run with my good old Deutz :D Now to do some fine tuning, then paint when summer comes and add some hay!

26996145_1708946095794214_712511482_n.jp26913406_1708945049127652_1974751251_n.j

11 minutes ago, Janval said:

Been a long time since I did any work on my projects now, lost a bit of motivation and haven't had much time. But managed to put together a few pieces tonight and did a test run with my good old Deutz :D Now to do some fine tuning, then paint when summer comes and add some hay!

26996145_1708946095794214_712511482_n.jp26913406_1708945049127652_1974751251_n.j

This is truly fantastic, how does it work ? I use a twose push off on my mf 590 at the neighbours small holding. I’m considering doing that next! This is great though ! 

4 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

This is truly fantastic, how does it work ? I use a twose push off on my mf 590 at the neighbours small holding. I’m considering doing that next! This is great though ! 

Thank you! We used one like this when I was a kid, with a Deutz similar to this and on our Aebi AM 53! We only had dried hay back then (even though it was the 90s), either dried on a "hay-drying-rack or laying on the fields. Then we either pulled it of the racks or raked it together in piles (not your question, but a bit of backstory for good measure :D).

The grapple part pulls up, then we just backed up into the pile of dried hay (until it was fully loaded) and released the grapple. Made it possible to transport quite big loads of hay at a time since it's held in place pretty good!

For those interested: A few more photos I found from a neat Norwegian "digital museum" which I plan to use for planning future builds, if there's enough content that is :) These show the implement in use with a Sesamatic frontlift as well:
032s9YytgLLu?dimension=1200x1200

042s9YytgLRE?dimension=1200x1200

4 hours ago, Janval said:

Thank you :) It's not a very complex build like we see from many others on the forum, but it's a start!

Any type of scratch build is good, and sometimes the simpler the build the better chance of it being finished :)

Very nice Jan,in the U K we had a much simpler affair, a Hay Sweep,just had a simple attachment on the front axle,my late father used to get the job every hay season,he just ran all over the field picking up any loose piles of hay,then pushed them back to the nearest hay rick where it was forked on to the rick,he did this with a B250 International,and later with a B275,then I think they progressed on to a baler,a big International with a single cylinder engine,here's a picture of a similar " Sweep ".

Regards

Joe.

Hay sweep.jpg

1 hour ago, catkom3 said:

Very nice Jan,in the U K we had a much simpler affair, a Hay Sweep,just had a simple attachment on the front axle,my late father used to get the job every hay season,he just ran all over the field picking up any loose piles of hay,then pushed them back to the nearest hay rick where it was forked on to the rick,he did this with a B250 International,and later with a B275,then I think they progressed on to a baler,a big International with a single cylinder engine,here's a picture of a similar " Sweep ".

Regards

Joe.

Hay sweep.jpg

My Dad was the same Joe, although the tractor he used was a standard Fordson. One of the neighbours had a B250 and I think it was looked at with envy!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might want to add some more weight on the front of this Deutz. :D Otherwise, it looks nice, never seen such a machine. Although it looked more impressive behind that small MF35 ...

2 hours ago, Hajo said:

You might want to add some more weight on the front of this Deutz. :D Otherwise, it looks nice, never seen such a machine. Although it looked more impressive behind that small MF35 ...

We'll see about that :lol: I remember we used ours with our old Deutz in the 90s, as well as with our Aebi AM 53 all without any front weights so I guess I'll take my chances for the time being :D This was produced in Norway, even though Kverneland has exported some implements I'm sure this is one mostly sold within Norway. 

I agree, due to the lack of 3 point hitches on the UH MF's I have not yet made any implements for them. Still bugging me how to get the rear digger on to the Work Bull without using a thin, flat piece of plastruct..

Archived