Some old photographs.

mb86

On 6 September 2019 at 4:23 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

Some good memories for you in those those photo's Martin (well maybe not the Nash one haha) i bet the 384 and 270 sounded well climbing the clamp, would sooner listen to that than the JCB of modern times.. ;)  Did you ever have clutch problems caused by the rear engine mounts on the 285?? it's a pity you didn't have her in a shed now, be a fair sound to listen to her pulling up the road from Barney, as only thing to beat the sound of a 4/98t is a 6/98.... pure music :wub:

Thanks Paul. There would certainly be no mistaking the engine note of those two pushing grass up. Although that JCB does have a fair bark to it I would sooner listen to the 285 purring away again. To my knowledge she never had any alignment issues, she would do a lot of work here before her untimely demise and I don't think there was many problems at all. 

On 6 September 2019 at 6:21 AM, 844john said:

Nice to see those photos Martin, like Paul says, lots of good memories no doubt. I think the problem with you in front of the nash must be that you've just had a good look around it, noticed the standard power steering, independent PTO, Hydro transmission, wet brakes....and then compared it to the other tractors of it's time.....:D That's a hell of a mounting point for the crowd ram on the loader mind:o!

Hahaha. Yes lots of good memories John, To be fair my uncle really liked it, it would load a lot of bales on his hay and straw business, the loader being ideal for loading little bales when extended. I can't really make out from that but I think the crowd ram worked a linkage rather than being directly onto the attachment. It maybe had to cope with a bit more stress than a standard setup. 

• 7 months later...

Seeing as you know Big Dave, Martin, there's a few photo's here that he sent me copies of from the "Blues" on the estate farm that his dad worked on at back of Longtown when Big Dave was a little lad (not that he's ever been little) found these whilst looking for some others that i'm looking for, but seeing they were "Blue" i thought they would fit in well with your thread.... the lime spreading outfit was local contractor for the job Millingtons. 

IMG_7953.JPG

IMG_7954.JPG

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7956.JPG

IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_7958.JPG

Wow great photos, nice to see I love looking back in time. How they did it and how much its changed now. I'd like to see a contractor face now if you handed him one of the tractors to work the pit. :lol: Thanks for sharing. 

19 hours ago, L33 Da17on said:

Wow great photos, nice to see I love looking back in time. How they did it and how much its changed now. I'd like to see a contractor face now if you handed him one of the tractors to work the pit. :lol: Thanks for sharing. 

I can remember as a lad buckraking with a brand new 2wd Case 1394, looking back it's amazing what you could do with a small tractor compared to the gear today, but then I suppose the grass was coming in a lot slower...i could happily keep up with the side mounted JF that was feeding me, but I'm not sure I'd have coped with the output of a 600hp self propelled!:D

On 2 May 2020 at 10:09 AM, L33 Da17on said:

Same contractor, same pit, a few years later...this one from a couple of years ago. 

image.jpg

My father handled 3 large pits every season with a 4000 on its own back in the day and we did not have a push off buckrake ether, only a standard pike..The contractor cut it and carted it..I was up to the customer to handle the pit back then. And you fell in with your own tractor and trailer on a long draw as we had land rented for silage a few miles away.  The contractors JCB 416 does the job these days.

Archived