How well do you think today's models will age

F8N

A thought that has often crossed my mind..what will my models look like 20 years from now. As I look at some of my old britians mainly my tw 35 the pride of my fleet 26 years ago... It was well played with and for a good 10 years it sat in a cupboard and one day I lifted it out and I couldn't beleive how the roof top and fenders had turned yellowish..While in the attic today I noticed a strong ray of sunshine coming through the sky light in to my display and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to permantly display as I m worried about the sun fading them. Previous to our new house I just displayed a few in cabinets and at a certain time of day sunlight would hit the cabinets. . I soon began to notice the carpet fading and so I rotated 5he models every so often to avoid fading.. has any one any experiences of models fading with sunlight and also in the attic is pretty cold in winter and very warm in summer.. will these extreme heat variations damage them?

I have thought about this myself, especially since it's a costly hobby.. I display all of mine in glass cabinets, I do however have the option to just pull out the curtains to avoid sunrays. They're in a spare bedroom we have in the second floor. Only thing I have seen so far is my Marge TW25 and TW35, they leave an oily surface on the glass they stand on.. Not sure why, but not happy about it since they were expensive ones.

I have seen the usual symptoms with the older Britains as most have (I now remove the tyres from certain Britains models from a certain era).  Anything gold goes silver from what I know - but I have managed to avoid that (my gold models are in the dark!).  Anything will discolour - over time - in direct sunlight - look at red cars, JCB yellow plastics etc.  I think the mantra should be to avoid direct sunlight or very light rooms, especially if you also like your boxes their original colour!

I had my entire collection in a storage container for 6 months from early summer through to November (so many temperature fluctuations) and have as yet not seen any detrimental effects (I have a few models from most manufacturers from the last 30 years).  That's not to say there wouldn't have been over a period of years......

I do worry that the intricacy of todays models with different materials with differing quality, could suffer over time (read Martyns zinc pest subject)......

57 minutes ago, F8N said:

Do your be in direct sunlight?

Yes it was on a T7.210 union jack edition and the flag had almost faded to white from sitting on display in a window ledge out of the box. i bought it second hand for conversion purposes 

and im not sure about the wheel discolouration on ros t7070s as its been found on ones that have been stored in a cupboard

1 hour ago, Janval said:

I have thought about this myself, especially since it's a costly hobby.. I display all of mine in glass cabinets, I do however have the option to just pull out the curtains to avoid sunrays. They're in a spare bedroom we have in the second floor. Only thing I have seen so far is my Marge TW25 and TW35, they leave an oily surface on the glass they stand on.. Not sure why, but not happy about it since they were expensive ones.s

Iv had the same experience with my marge .

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

I have seen the usual symptoms with the older Britains as most have (I now remove the tyres from certain Britains models from a certain era).  Anything gold goes silver from what I know - but I have managed to avoid that (my gold models are in the dark!).  Anything will discolour - over time - in direct sunlight - look at red cars, JCB yellow plastics etc.  I think the mantra should be to avoid direct sunlight or very light rooms, especially if you also like your boxes their original colour!

I had my entire collection in a storage container for 6 months from early summer through to November (so many temperature fluctuations) and have as yet not seen any detrimental effects (I have a few models from most manufacturers from the last 30 years).  That's not to say there wouldn't have been over a period of years......

I do worry that the intricacy of todays models with different materials with differing quality, could suffer over time (read Martyns zinc pest subject)......

I keep my boxes too.. and gave them mostly out of sun light..before we got our house built all models not in rhe display cabunet and boxes were in total darkness.. but now I try to cover them if the light hits them.. I notices over the winter with the cold the boxes lose their rigidnes and become softer.  However they seem to go back to normal once the temperature rises.

I haven't noticed them any the worse fir it but it seems to be heat related..my units are also lit so I try to use dimmer bulbs now to reduce the heat and brightness in the models and still rotate them frim time to time.. I do think curtains or blinds for the sky lights would be good..

Wheel melt on my UH County 1884 Q cab & also some wheel melt on my ROS NH T7070 . The tyres on lots of my Britains tractors are going from black to a kind off hazy white colour .And the usual wheel melt on all the old vintage Britains . I store them all in sealed plastic containers in the darkest corner of our spare bedroom where the sun don't hit ... That's all I can do . 

all stored in the dark up in the loft in sealed plastic boxes ,gaffa taped lids  or those big vacuum bags, i also put a couple  desiccant bags in them as backup for any moisture that may get in , so far none have changed colour indicatng anything and touch wood nothing un toward yet on the models . 

You'v planned ahead...I noticed on an old lamboughini I  had whilst taking the tyres off they all split and became unusable. What about the odes your displaying? I have some in card board boxes but when you can't see them I sit of think what's the point in having them to store them away..unless you are seriously laying them up for future sale as an investment so to speak. I can't see me wanting to part with mine though I do like yo keep the boxes prestine as to hold their value..again un opened boxes are where they become valuable; isn't it?

2 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Wheel melt on my UH County 1884 Q cab & also some wheel melt on my ROS NH T7070 . The tyres on lots of my Britains tractors are going from black to a kind off hazy white colour .And the usual wheel melt on all the old vintage Britains . I store them all in sealed plastic containers in the darkest corner of our spare bedroom where the sun don't hit ... That's all I can do . 

Do you mean on the rims just? My county came out of the box with what looked like varnish coming from the paint.

9 minutes ago, F8N said:

You'v planned ahead...I noticed on an old lamboughini I  had whilst taking the tyres off they all split and became unusable. What about the odes your displaying? I have some in card board boxes but when you can't see them I sit of think what's the point in having them to store them away..unless you are seriously laying them up for future sale as an investment so to speak. I can't see me wanting to part with mine though I do like yo keep the boxes prestine as to hold their value..again un opened boxes are where they become valuable; isn't it?

i don’t have space to display at present sadly, they are a sort of investment i guess ,if  they  do as well as the older briatins stuff in the future i will be happy, as i have learnt,mint in box is what they want with older stuff, and even a wiking 6930 is now way up in value ,and thats not exactly old really 

My 1st model was a uh mf 8690.. I had been starting to collect some of the new britians stuff coming out about 12 years ago and about 10 years ago I whilst in fane valley I saw this masses. .I couldn't get over the detail..especially inside the cab and I think it was around £30 well the rest is history.. I can remember mark Gilliland  telling me about the new hosting tanker and bout to be released and a few weeks later I had something to hook onto the 8690. The detail was amazing and I think even by today's standard it holds up with one if my favourite models.. here's a picture or them 10 years later still looking good..but they have spend at least half of their time with me im the dark. At the time I think it had a useless top link so I made one for it and the rear hitch would never stay in the up position very well.. which was a bit bugging when I got my vicon butterfly's. 

20180309_204844.jpg

20180309_205035.jpg

41 minutes ago, F8N said:

I keep all of my boxes no matter what, it will only make them more desirable in the future should i need to sell them (Would have to be a very tough decision!) This is no where near all and they're 3 deep and thats probably only 1/3 of the collection in there. Im annoyed that when i was younger i kept the box but binned the inner packaging and flatpacked it, still have 2 carrier bags full of them.

28537904_1630164487069656_878187220_n.jpg.309103759de8c615cc1cd37986084da4.jpg

16 hours ago, F8N said:

Do you mean on the rims just? My county came out of the box with what looked like varnish coming from the paint.

Yeah SPN . It's a kind off dark yellow coloured residue from the rims . I think this was mentioned before on another topic . 

Archived