1/32 ERF B series County Tractors Low loader

Just WOW James! Fantastic work done here, you've captured it perfectly!

Wouldn't mind tackling something like this to go with the Countys, how do you find building trucks compared with tractors? Looks quite difficult! :blink:

Thanks guys.

Personally I find the trucks easier, but that's because I understand them more, I can look at a part and know straight away what it is, and if that part needs simplifying to make it I know what bits of detail I can loose and it still look like the part and what parts need to be modelled for it to be identifiable. With tractors I don't have that knowledge so find it harder. Also with trucks there's more variation in the real thing, so people don't nit pick in the same way saying that cab was never fitted to that model or those wing mirrors are wrong for that age machine, which is always nicer! :D

7 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Thanks guys.

Personally I find the trucks easier, but that's because I understand them more, I can look at a part and know straight away what it is, and if that part needs simplifying to make it I know what bits of detail I can loose and it still look like the part and what parts need to be modelled for it to be identifiable. With tractors I don't have that knowledge so find it harder. Also with trucks there's more variation in the real thing, so people don't nit pick in the same way saying that cab was never fitted to that model or those wing mirrors are wrong for that age machine, which is always nicer! :D

Definitely helps to be familiar with what you're building, taking on new unfamiliar projects is always difficult it's like having to be in a different mind set altogether. I've been asked to build a 1977 Volvo F86 tractor unit in 1/16 and it's a real head scratcher, rounded bodywork, rounded glass, can't find any existing model kits or diecast, can't seem to find anything to make a start with. Have you ever built any trucks in that scale? Can I even get truck parts in that scale?

2 hours ago, tabmodels said:

Definitely helps to be familiar with what you're building, taking on new unfamiliar projects is always difficult it's like having to be in a different mind set altogether. I've been asked to build a 1977 Volvo F86 tractor unit in 1/16 and it's a real head scratcher, rounded bodywork, rounded glass, can't find any existing model kits or diecast, can't seem to find anything to make a start with. Have you ever built any trucks in that scale? Can I even get truck parts in that scale?

I think Kit Form Services used to do a resin conversion kit in 1:24th

12 hours ago, tabmodels said:

This any good to you Ian,it is 1/50th though,??

Regards

Joe.

Heavy Goods truck kit.jpg

1/16 is an awkward one for trucks. The standard scales are 1/76, 1/50, 1/24. There's RC stuff in 1/14 but the wealth of stuff is 1/24, I have seen a 3D printed Volvo F86 in that scale, think it was about £45+£30 postage from Sweden though. Other than that I don't know of any other F86 models. As far as 1/16 parts the only stuff I can think of is Bruder, and then a few Revell kits, I imagine theres bits and pieces out there, would just take some digging.

17 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

1/16 is an awkward one for trucks. The standard scales are 1/76, 1/50, 1/24. There's RC stuff in 1/14 but the wealth of stuff is 1/24, I have seen a 3D printed Volvo F86 in that scale, think it was about £45+£30 postage from Sweden though. Other than that I don't know of any other F86 models. As far as 1/16 parts the only stuff I can think of is Bruder, and then a few Revell kits, I imagine theres bits and pieces out there, would just take some digging.

Thanks for your help James, I would probably prefer to build it 1/24 as 1/16 would have to be insanely detailed! I shall do some digging!

On 4/28/2018 at 7:42 AM, Stabliofarmer said:

Funny you should mention an E10 Paul, we've recently bought two, for reasons only known by my dad! I think the plan is to put the 325 Cummins from the sleeper into the day cab which is a much tidier truck.

IMG_20180413_155152.thumb.jpg.789abda9e3ca1dacbcfb969cd4bb4a5c.jpg

Absolutely stunning build!

The above photo stopped me in my tracks, remember this truck as grew up on the Isle of Wight! 

Thanks

Haha, its a small world, I had wondered which Newport it was, as I'm currently living in Newport Shropshire for uni, had completely missed the I.O.W underneath. We got it from Plymouth Bus so presumably they'd bought it over.

36 minutes ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Thanks

Haha, its a small world, I had wondered which Newport it was, as I'm currently living in Newport Shropshire for uni, had completely missed the I.O.W underneath. We got it from Plymouth Bus so presumably they'd bought it over.

Surprised to see it still in that livery. I’m fairly sure Morris packed up years ago. It won’t have done many motorway miles!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 10:03 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

Thanks

i remember that being sat in the back of milehouse depot, they used to do a lot of self build recovery trucks down there,for them selfs and for sale ,so maybe it was awaiting that fate. not seen any leaving there for a while now mind.

I never really gave it any thought until you said , they used to have all sorts in there inc some new daf units , have a feeling a local company had all theirs built in there , field services , when they started up 

Archived