Postage from the EU

robbo

Does happen, I've had a couple parcels arriving with no extra import, not sure if it's due to the paperwork attached to the package or not, but Artisan32 and an ebay seller who required bank transfer. Would be impossible to have 100% control I guess, and a few plastic steering wheels etc from France might not be the big fish they're frying :lol:

• Like 1

This on the BBC this morning

Anyone in the UK receiving a gift from the EU worth more than £39 may now face a bill for import VAT - with many items charged at 20%.

For goods costing more than £135, customs duties may also apply, which can range from 0% to 25% of the product you're buying if they have not been paid by the sender already.

The extra charges are usually collected by the courier on behalf of the government, with customers asked to pay before they can pick up their package.

Some firms have started charging additional "handling fees" to shoppers to cover costs associated with extra customs checks and paperwork that must be filled out.

Royal Mail, for example, is charging an £8 fee it says "reflects the cost of clearing items through customs and presenting them to Border Force".

Meanwhile, delivery firm DHL says it is charging UK customers 2.5% of the amount paid to clear customs, with a minimum charge of £11.

Mail and freight company TNT is also adding £4.31 on all shipments from the UK to the EU and vice versa. It has said this reflects the increased investment it has had to make in adjusting its systems to cope with Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tell you what, if you have to pay tax for stuff you have bought at the zwolle show , its then end of going i recon  for most , i could poss as i don't get a huge amount, bit like mike, but for the  likes of david and brian who have wallet wobble and empty it and their bank account as well with extra withdrawals ect it would cost a fortune at say 25% vat. Wouldn't even consider it as a trade seller either  , would take you an extra day to check whats been sold ext, unless theres a clever app or something to keep track of it all and sort it out 

• Like 1

It is also going to hit the EU sellers coming over to Spalding, people like Neils Anchelon and Martin Smits, they are going to have to add 20% tax on top of all of their prices and that is going to wipe out any profit that they would have made as they might not be able to compete with the UK sellers.

It is a nightmare to someone like me who collects Italian models, I get quite a few from Italian sellers and at least one has cancelled my purchase already this year. I have emailed another Dutch seller and asked where my order stands with them but so far they have not go back to me. I may well have to stump up another 20% if I still want the models.

Keep in mind that all sellers that have an interest in dealing with anyone outside EU are supposed to withdraw "EU VAT" before British VAT applies, so the difference shouldn't be all that big. It all depends on the seller however. 

This means you should receive an invoice "VAT Free" from EU and pay VAT upon arrival. You're not supposed to pay tax on taxes regardless of borders. Sellers can easily choose not to comply, but that's not how it's supposed to be working. I always ask that question, if they're registered for it and that I have to pay VAT upon import.

Btw. Nice touch with the postman claiming in the taxes :D That doesn't happen up here..

Edit: https://www.ecovis.com/global/vat-on-e-commerce-in-norway/ Here's a link on how this system works in Norway, don't know what the British system is called, but I'd expect it to function somewhat the same way - besides the fact that this places the responsibility on the sellers to register and report the VAT, not the postman :) No costs to it as I could see.. Just a bit of extra work I suppose.

Edited by Janval
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robbo said:

It is also going to hit the EU sellers coming over to Spalding, people like Neils Anchelon and Martin Smits, they are going to have to add 20% tax on top of all of their prices and that is going to wipe out any profit that they would have made as they might not be able to compete with the UK sellers.

It is a nightmare to someone like me who collects Italian models, I get quite a few from Italian sellers and at least one has cancelled my purchase already this year. I have emailed another Dutch seller and asked where my order stands with them but so far they have not go back to me. I may well have to stump up another 20% if I still want the models.

i guess you  may be able to get them to ship to someone in holland, we know a good few now who i suspect would be happy to assist you , then pick up at zwolle, but we need to look at the vat coming back issue ? i recon if you got stopped the customs guys would want a receipt for every item you have , and no one does that at the shows at present , would be the only way you can prove value and tot up anything to keep under any poss limits . 

the only bright side is, for david and brian, they wont be able to wallet wobble if there is a limit so may be able to eat more for the 3 days at least :D.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Post office have always added an £8 handling fee on customs charges so is nothing new.

If a seller dose not want to sign up to the new tax system then all items are just taxed at UK rates and charged to the buyer with the other custom's fee's that may apply so again nothing new if like me you have been buying from around the world for years.

Even my TNT account will fast track items and then I get billed a month later with any tax and import charges and get sent a full VAT invoice so I can claim back if required so I expect that will carry on.

On the other hand I have had a $300 pre order cancelled by an American company due to they have changed which state they are based in and will not supply the UK at the moment

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2021 at 4:25 PM, Janval said:

Keep in mind that all sellers that have an interest in dealing with anyone outside EU are supposed to withdraw "EU VAT" before British VAT applies, so the difference shouldn't be all that big. It all depends on the seller however. 

This means you should receive an invoice "VAT Free" from EU and pay VAT upon arrival. You're not supposed to pay tax on taxes regardless of borders. Sellers can easily choose not to comply, but that's not how it's supposed to be working. I always ask that question, if they're registered for it and that I have to pay VAT upon import.

Btw. Nice touch with the postman claiming in the taxes :D That doesn't happen up here..

Edit: https://www.ecovis.com/global/vat-on-e-commerce-in-norway/ Here's a link on how this system works in Norway, don't know what the British system is called, but I'd expect it to function somewhat the same way - besides the fact that this places the responsibility on the sellers to register and report the VAT, not the postman :) No costs to it as I could see.. Just a bit of extra work I suppose.

That's exactly correct. From what we've been told, there shouldn't be any VAT on the supply from the vendor. From UK to EU, there shouldn't be any VAT within the transaction if that seller is VAT registered. From that the type of goods and value then dictate the fee at border. If the goods are 'used', that also makes a difference to something brand new. 

• Like 3

Yes all EU suppliers should remove the EU VAT as UK customs will add ours

Also please if you have more than one box coming ask you supplier to ensure that each individual box has an itemised box list and invoice otherwise like some weirdo you will get the complete total multiplied by the number of boxes . Absolute nightmare

• Confused 1

It's a bit of minefield but I suspect some rules and practices will change as the year moves on, especially for B2C transactions. There should not be any significant adverse additional charges for the customer in the UK or EU (from a VAT registered seller) albeit shipping costs have definitely increased and there may be a handling fee.

I think the main problem area are sales between private individuals including those attending shows to sell across the borders. They won't have the VAT registration as a means of reclaiming the tax paid. I'm sure a business attending a show can make a temporary import/export declaration and account for the  actual sales at their usual accounting dates throughout the year. Again though, paperwork for the seller will be essential and could be problematic (time consuming) if you get the wrong customs official at the border. 

Out of interest Cyril or anyone in the ROI, how do the parcel motels work North of the Border? Are people moving to using these more now? 

• Like 1

have i been lucky then?,as i bought a tamiya kit from portugual,paid for it and nothing different to when i ordered anything from abroad before brexit? it arrived today and nothing to pay extra,the model was bought from portugal,the only thing i noticed was the listing said the price was in us dollars

4 hours ago, Andy said:

It's a bit of minefield but I suspect some rules and practices will change as the year moves on, especially for B2C transactions. There should not be any significant adverse additional charges for the customer in the UK or EU (from a VAT registered seller) albeit shipping costs have definitely increased and there may be a handling fee.

I think the main problem area are sales between private individuals including those attending shows to sell across the borders. They won't have the VAT registration as a means of reclaiming the tax paid. I'm sure a business attending a show can make a temporary import/export declaration and account for the  actual sales at their usual accounting dates throughout the year. Again though, paperwork for the seller will be essential and could be problematic (time consuming) if you get the wrong customs official at the border. 

Out of interest Cyril or anyone in the ROI, how do the parcel motels work North of the Border? Are people moving to using these more now? 

Dont know that i just sold 1 model to uk 2kg and woman in post office filled out a forum so i know in few days if the man has to pay any tax on the box 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, trigger82 said:

Has anyone ever got this in the post ?? 

I got my model in post last week now I got this today in post today . Not seen this before 
Don't mind i just was to pay it but if you don't what happens.

20211101_112929.jpg

20211101_112950.jpg

What country did the model come from Cyril.. Was it outside the EU? 

2 hours ago, trigger82 said:

No from UK the last 2 I got I did not get this in post and 1 of the model cost me £67 pound and I had no duty to pay 

Maybe the ones you payed no duty on came from Northern Ireland or came in threw the North.  Thats probably why.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justy 46 said:

Maybe the ones you payed no duty on came from Northern Ireland or came in threw the North.  Thats probably why.. 

No I bought Massey ferguson off G&M Farm models and there in UK.  I find out in post office