The peculiar world of 3D printing. Printers and CAD in a world of Craft Knifes and Pencils.

Stabliofarmer

Question

I might as well start the topic I've spoken about in the purchases topic. If admin want to do the fancy thing where they move posts to different threads then I think what was discussed in the purchases topic would make a nice start to this one. 

Anyhow, in the mean time... 

Printer 

IMG_20211002_131925.thumb.jpg.445d26d1fc0bdbaca3ad02fd048879ef.jpg

Printing

IMG_20211005_201909.thumb.jpg.7cc219b6dae78946e380b9e8557cdbf2.jpg

IMG_20211005_201926.thumb.jpg.37cfcacded27e209d565d28bf16874ca.jpg

Printed wheels

IMG_20211005_212320.thumb.jpg.a19bc19734212eea16f6df87a7ef5cb1.jpg

Edited by Stabliofarmer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3D scanning is really a bit of a grey area, there are scanners out there for as little as £100 odd But how good that might be is anybodies guess, Forgood results you would be looking at £1000's, My first 3D printer was a combined printer scanner but the scanner has never produced a decent scan yet, I suspect the software is outdated, scaleing any object is straight forward if you know the size of the original object for example, Trucks need to comply to C&U regulations, they must not exceed 2.5mtrs therefore 2500 divide by 32 = 78.125mm.

Regards

Joe

Ciclops 3D video link,

Edited by catkom3

On 11/16/2021 at 5:17 PM, catkom3 said:

I would reckon within half an hour of getting it set up you will be all over it, and thanks for the thanks, And remember six years ago I knew absolutely nothing about anything related to 3D printing.

Regards

Joe Oh PS did you get glue sticks,??

Well, it’s arrived Joe, just have to wait until Christmas now and hope that she can get to grips with it. She’s certainly been watching plenty of videos on 3D printing, which has confirmed what I’ve long feared....I’m a technological dinosaur, I just didn’t understand a bloody word of anything that she was watching!😂

D7357185-5B83-4729-9595-A030C68F7D87.jpeg

• Haha 1

Once you see it working you will start to understand what it's all about, It is a steep learning curve with all sorts of new terminologies but it will come with time, your daughter will take to it like a duck to water, kids these days are already tech savvy.

Regards

Joe.

I've been learning a bit of CAD the last few day's, Turned out not to be quite as difficult as I had previously thought, Useing RS Designspark as they're directions are easy enough to follow useing "Create your first solid" instruction, Takes time mind and you do need a Computer / Tablet a good sized screen and a mouse or similar, I have changed the rough Zunhammer slurry tank into a more accurate model which is now correct size and no legs.

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/home

Regards

Joe

RS 1.jpg

RS 2.jpg

Edited by catkom3
  • Like 1

Spent today understanding how 3D printers can be an attraction to those with no CAD skills. 

Years ago Newray made a series of hunting model playsets, one of which includes an 8x8 Argocat ATV. I've recently been trying to buy one but the cheapest I could find was £45 from America before any import taxes. On a whim I googled "Argocat Stl" and to my suppise there was a site selling a ready to print 1:18th scale stl file for $15 so I bought it, rescaled it to 1:32 and printed it. 

Very pleased with the outcome, I've ended up with a far more detailed model for a total of about £12.50 and five hours of printing. Just got to paint it now. 

Fresh off the printer

IMG_20220109_134818.thumb.jpg.1d323c0b9d9bba5e2a9eb157ef4c79b4.jpg

Complete model, had to do abit of modding for the axles as when scaled down the system for 1:18 scale was to delicate in 1:32.

IMG_20220109_171940.thumb.jpg.2e8bd615e092e20b89abba7ccbdfa87a.jpg

IMG_20220109_171944.thumb.jpg.364d2db682590eac42d1747e77011122.jpg

IMG_20220109_171947.thumb.jpg.135a152043db0a2dfa5838bdff87b152.jpg

IMG_20220109_171952.thumb.jpg.17add1a7551cfd44c5f62054bf1e9e5f.jpg

Very impressed how well the frame printed considering how delicate it is. Pencil for scale. Unfortunately it did break in a few places when cutting the supports off

IMG_20220109_160640.thumb.jpg.dffb5f3068017e439b35324bf6fb6839.jpg

On a more comical note another stl file I bought online, pigeons aren't real, a comical spoof on the idea all pigeons are actually government drones. Makes a fun little decoration for the shed. 

IMG_20220109_193727.thumb.jpg.9830f6231fc1441954c2662535e1eea8.jpg

Edited by Stabliofarmer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

There are indeed, Pity there's no Ford Transit's almost every other equivalent, and this very interesting Volvo FMX that would make a fantastic Tridem and it would be dead simple to "mirror" the dash in your slicer to make it right hand drive, Mirror's door's and wipers would be just as easy. Maybe one day.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/volvo-fmx-2013-printable-cabin-truck

Regards

Joe.

well have started the deed, just ordered the apple pencil for collection tomorrow, have some software which has been tired by someone else whos already doing 3d printing,and he recons its ok,seems nice and easy,and is apple recomended as well, all based round the pencil and touch screen ect. he downlaoded the windows one and got on nice and easy with it . once i have the pencil i will download it.been printer searching,and have found one that seems ok, prints from 0.1 to 0.4 mm layers, is an enclosed one which seems to be the better route apparently going by other sites i have looked at,if you want a better finish and even print?? its around the 300 quid mark , but i am hanging fire on that till i try the software. the pencil has many uses if i dont get on with it,like picking my nose or something 😆the printer not,other than a door stop 

• Like 1

A lot of folk swear by enclosed cabinets help keep temperatures stable, But I use mine in the spare room, There can be a bit of a problem with filament getting "wet", although filament is plastic it is described as Hygroscopic it can absorb moisture in the atmosphere so a lot of guy's buy dehydrators, I keep it simple and keep my filaments in my airing cupboard, I have at the moment 16 / 17 different colour's / type's no way would I buy loads of these, ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403050480663?hash=item5dd7ae4417:g:kSoAAOSwpt1g7AuB

Regards

Joe. 

24 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

will just bring a big  of desiccant bags home from work and put it in a bag with one of those if i get it joe, they dry most things out inc wet phones, keeping plastic dry should be easy  

That would be good Sean, I bought a hundred wee bags of dessicant when I bought my first printer 7 years ago but in all honesty I've had very few problems with moisture, To get your filament to feed through the extruder you need to tweek the end a little to straighten in so that it goes in square, That is when you notice it's gone brittle, But I found if you cut 10cm or so off the end the rest of the spool was ok, PS there is always a bag of dessicant in the vacuum sealed bags new filament comes in, Also check out Youtube for tutorials on how to level the bed on the printer your thinking of getting as strangely 3D printing is very similar to brick laying, the print is only ever as good as the first layer you only need do it 2 / 3 times a year.

Regards

Joe.

software downloaded , pencil synced up, and all ready to have a go, only got the free version for now, had a quick play and seems easy enough,but its a fair learning curve i recon. bonus,it does let me open other files, so i may try buying a few and playing round as well 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

software downloaded , pencil synced up, and all ready to have a go, only got the free version for now, had a quick play and seems easy enough,but its a fair learning curve i recon. bonus,it does let me open other files, so i may try buying a few and playing round as well 

Exciting times Sean, be good to see how you get on.

• Like 1

Good for you Sean, I was like you very interested in CAD, but reckoned I would never go near it as I would be totally out my depth, but finding RSDesign I went from a very rough rectangle to what was a recognisable tractor, The reason this image is grey / yellow stripes is because it is way to large for the build plate, I'll need to revisit that one as I've accidently binned some of my files, But I now have a new printer so it will fit better.

Regards

Joe.

CAD 2.jpg

Knudson build 2.jpg

i have opted for something called shapr3d . apparently it won several awards ? inc the apple one for design software , seems very apple orientated , which i am used to.  it has loads of associated tutorials in it,along with youtube videos, got a bit of time tomorrow so i will sit down,get the head phones on and have a go. nothing ventured i guess ,although i am a tad nervous , i can tell you the ins and outs of fiberoptic’s ,and fault them right across the Atlantic if i had to but this is a bit daunting 😆😆

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i have opted for something called shapr3d . apparently it won several awards ? inc the apple one for design software , seems very apple orientated , which i am used to.  it has loads of associated tutorials in it,along with youtube videos, got a bit of time tomorrow so i will sit down,get the head phones on and have a go. nothing ventured i guess ,although i am a tad nervous , i can tell you the ins and outs of fiberoptic’s ,and fault them right across the Atlantic if i had to but this is a bit daunting 😆😆

My stepsons a bit like you Sean, He can splice fibreoptic on subs etc he has recently been tasked to learn CAD to aid in his costing cable run's etc on a couple of new builds heading for Rosyth, Working from home, it was doing his head in a few months back.

Regards

Joe,

11 hours ago, ginjaninja95 said:

So I'm getting ideas of upgrading my printer from the anet, thinking an ender 3 or a resin printer.

Whats the recommended from you guys? And rough prices 

Well if I had still been working instead of retired I would have got myself the new Ender 3 S1 currently the best FDM printer out there and one of the very few direct drive machines available so it can handle flexible filament straight out the box,

https://www.creality.com/goods-detail/creality-ender-3-s1-3d-printer

Regards

Joe

well gone through the 10 tutorials a few times this afternoon, this isnt actualy to a true scale for a 6 ton trailer just yet,i have not got round to scaling one up yet from the brouchure .,so i just  went for a 12.5cm x 8 cm wide trailer bed, nice and simple shape , easy to see, managed to get holes in place for rams and the tip point, so it is doable, mind you this took me a good 2 hours to get done 😀😀

7B8770FA-1DB9-45D1-B4CB-A1D89166C4BC.png 

5F135155-B10E-40E3-A523-2C166C987BFD.pngfirst impressions going by the ease with the pencil,and finger control for rotating, it seems ok .

• Like 3

That's an absolute cracker Sean well impressed, Might not suit your requirement exactly, but you can scale up / down in your slicer you will need one so your printer knows what to print unfortunately I have no idea which ones are compatible with Apple but I think they may actually do their own one, also in your slicer you can fabricate / manoeuvre parts through any angle you wish.

Regards

Joe.