The peculiar world of 3D printing. Printers and CAD in a world of Craft Knifes and Pencils.

Stabliofarmer

Question

I might as well start the topic I've spoken about in the purchases topic. If admin want to do the fancy thing where they move posts to different threads then I think what was discussed in the purchases topic would make a nice start to this one. 

Anyhow, in the mean time... 

Printer 

IMG_20211002_131925.thumb.jpg.445d26d1fc0bdbaca3ad02fd048879ef.jpg

Printing

IMG_20211005_201909.thumb.jpg.7cc219b6dae78946e380b9e8557cdbf2.jpg

IMG_20211005_201926.thumb.jpg.37cfcacded27e209d565d28bf16874ca.jpg

Printed wheels

IMG_20211005_212320.thumb.jpg.a19bc19734212eea16f6df87a7ef5cb1.jpg

Edited by Stabliofarmer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

cheers joe, its only where the main bed frames run, they only have a mm off the main sides flat, but its a 50mm odd span gap,so i have added a few .5mm legs in,so the gaps not much, the main chassis rails on the bed, didnt sag,they only bridges about 20mm, so hopefully this will stop it happening again 

• Thanks 1

Yes James the little accessories you can knock out in CAD then print off is amazeing, I just knocked up two L shaped item's which will come in handy for holding large square flat panels till the Araldite sets simple little things but with four recesses in each I can glue in Neodinium magnets to make them magnetic clamps, One of the guy's on the French forum sketched up round drums so he could create corrugated iron roof panels, The possibilities are end less, and cheap.

Regards

Joe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

So did you do the cad yourself for that then james or bring in a  file from  online ? I had a go at tyres yesterday lets just say it hurts your head

Yes all the CAD is from scratch, I have two 2d views from the brochure and just working off that for rough sizes. Wheels are okay once you get your head around them and the idea you never really draw a circle to make them, instead revolving a cross sectional drawing of tyre. 

1778986062_TrackCarrier.thumb.JPG.daa4a6df2fab593495fb7bb9a793f9e6.JPG

1099349634_TrackLink.thumb.JPG.0d942d96889da37e48f777de49d0b15b.JPG

I'm still getting used to fusion 360 though, like learning a second language. Solidworks is what I use during the day and I'm much more competent with it.

274043448_521709299255529_8079449614183060371_n.thumb.jpg.d28715670f2d46c59237b74d4ae3e059.jpg

• Like 3

I have been using shapr3d , but mainly as it works on apple stuff, and bar the way you access some of the settings and methods its actually  very good , but i am not a windows person so i would say that, all the tutorial videos on you tube for how to are windows ones, but this has little help videos that come up if you need when stuff goes wrong a few times in a row, works very well with touch screen and apple pencil as well plus on my i pad so no need for bulky desk top or laptop s , i think it's available on windows as well . I have just downloaded ultimaker cura and just from a quick look last night theres way more settings and levels of quality than the stuff that came with the printer thats for sure 

• Like 1

Sorry Sean I thought you were alraedy useing Cura, yes there are loads of settings in Cura thankfully most never need changeing, But now your getting familiar with what your printer is capable of you might like to print a couple of test prints, Simple little pieces but difficult for a 3D printer to print well, the little cube should be dead straight and dead square the wee boat ( benchy ) has curves and right angles plus holes and tubes hard for a printer to replicate fathfully, When you download the .stl files they will open straigh into Cura where you can either print them direct or save to your 3D file,

Cube

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3189377/files

Benchy

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4164071/files

Regards

Joe

Sean 6.jpg

Sean 7.jpg

Might as well make a day of it seeing as i am hope for at least this morn, 2nd trailer print under way, revised parts on it now , holes all adjusted to size ,new draw bar sections plus in blue, have gone high quality to see how it comes out , think i have enabled the iron finish on it so a smooth finish ? We will see in 9 hours , hopefully if good a 9 hr print will save a day or two in the shed as no painting  ?? Especially in the red , the blue we will soon see 

AFD1B11B-A1A2-4E5F-B484-407C8ED38DD3.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

Might as well make a day of it seeing as i am hope for at least this morn, 2nd trailer print under way, revised parts on it now , holes all adjusted to size ,new draw bar sections plus in blue, have gone high quality to see how it comes out , think i have enabled the iron finish on it so a smooth finish ? We will see in 9 hours , hopefully if good a 9 hr print will save a day or two in the shed as no painting  ?? Especially in the red , the blue we will soon see 

AFD1B11B-A1A2-4E5F-B484-407C8ED38DD3.jpeg

Hope you dont get a power cut half-way though 

its got auto restart apparently?? doubt that will happen in all honesty though

finished my first proper attempt at some new wheels and tyres for the trailer today .took some doing but they are to scale at what i need, identical size to the uh vantos in my pics, hubs basic, but will do,

5021C127-26F2-4A13-B1D3-B276CC675DFA.png

8C00B305-DD68-4E6E-A844-462DACFF3820.png

Printing round objects can be tricky Sean, printing them standing like that would give the best results but make sure you have "brim" enabled or they might topple over, You might want to soak your magnetic bed in hot soapy ( Fairy Liquid ) water and remove the old glue or you will get failed prints from the uneven surface, very impressive work on the tyres.

Regards

Joe.

am cheating, have sent them to someone with a resin printer,better for details, they are having a look and hopefully will print me a master set so i can cast them,especially the tyres, daft going to this effort and not having rubber tyres afterall 

as for those, they took me a good 6 hrs odd to do,but they are spot on size wise to the vantos, which suit what i need, been back and forth between this and youtube watching videos step by step, 

You'll need to get yourself a spool of black TPU and have a go at doing tyres they do look good but are a bit shiney though a quick spray of black Silicone rubber makes them look more realistic, And I'll need to take another crack at tyres after James mentioned never actually drawing a circle but rotating a cross section, last tutorial I watched I could not understand how they were round but never made a circle.

Regards

Joe. PS TPU normally sold in half kilo's.

theres a few good videos out there, i just went step by step between them trying, one test,then this one without swapping. if i can you can joe, may look at the black tpu,but its a lot of work to keep swapping around so need to weight up is it worthit over just making a mould and pouring rubber 

Changeing settings for TPU is a pain, But when you try it make absolutely certain you go into Cura settings and disable RETRACTIONS or it will look like a ball of steel wool, it is also really hard to remove from the build plate especially the new textured ones on the Ender 3 Pro, Funnily enough after reading your earlier reply I did go watch a tyre making tutorial, It could take some time, Meanwhile I finally got the hydraulic rams for my "Hooglosser" Araldited and fixed in place, Reckon if AT&T or MarGe don't do one I'll take a crack at it myself, only started it on Christmas eve ah the joy's of being retired,;)

Regards

Joe. 

My Hooglosser 1.jpg

• Like 1