Crawford Sherman tank to agricultural crawler conversion in 1/35 scale

I always wanted to make a replica of the Crawford ploughing tractor (see first picture) which was an ex-WW2 Sherman M4-A2 tank converted for agricultural use by Robert Crawford, a Lincolnshire contractor in 1947. I have just assembled the running gear from a 1/35 scale Tamiya Sherman tank kit and the tracks move smoothly. Like Crawford, I have discarded the turret and side armour, which reduced the weight of the real tank from 35 tons to 20 tons. Crawford kept the twin General Motors six cylinder diesel engines, which produced a useful 375hp between them. There are no engines with this kit, so I will need to improvise. I also need to 3D print some new tinwork and add the two 9 inch diameter exhaust pipes! Having painted and weathered the model it is starting to look a bit like Crawford's creation.

CRAWFORD SHERMAN CONVERSION2.jpg

P1040627.JPG

P1040628.JPG

P1040631.JPG

• Like 4

A different farm model to the norm, look forward to seeing this completed. Would be relatively easy engine build if it had either a radial, Ford V8 or Chrysler multibank power plant. This would do you if you can track one down 

Tank Workshop 1/35 M4a2 Sherman GM 6046 Tank Engine & Engine Compartment 350059

sherman engine compartment - Search (bing.com)

SHERMAN eng (strijdbewijs.nl)

for your perusal. 

30 minutes ago, super6 said:

A different farm model to the norm, look forward to seeing this completed. Would be relatively easy engine build if it had either a radial, Ford V8 or Chrysler multibank power plant. This would do you if you can track one down 

Tank Workshop 1/35 M4a2 Sherman GM 6046 Tank Engine & Engine Compartment 350059

sherman engine compartment - Search (bing.com)

for your perusal. 

Fabulous, thanks Paul.👍

i have heard of these but never seen one in the flesh, looks great so far.my uncle helped restore a real sherman a few years back,did a lot of work making new parts in the workshop,as hes a trained turner\ fitter, his company assisted letting them use the workshop with the overhead cranes ect. they took it over to normandy for one of the d-day anniversary's   

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

i have heard of these but never seen one in the flesh, looks great so far.my uncle helped restore a real sherman a few years back,did a lot of work making new parts in the workshop,as hes a trained turner\ fitter, his company assisted letting them use the workshop with the overhead cranes ect. they took it over to normandy for one of the d-day anniversary's   

Thanks Sean. Amazing machines, must have been wonderful to take the restored tank back to Normandy.

I wouldn't like to have to fuel it up, some big tanks on their. 175 Gallons and 120 mile range apparently!

There was an article, and front cover I think, on this in I think Classic Tractor or it may have been Old Tractor

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, super6 said:

I wouldn't like to have to fuel it up, some big tanks on their. 175 Gallons and 120 mile range apparently!

There was an article, and front cover I think, on this in I think Classic Tractor or it may have been Old Tractor

Yes, expensive business! Will see if I can track down the magazine article. The six air filters on the engine bonnet look impressive.

1 hour ago, Hajo said:

Really nice project on to go here! Never thought this could even exist, how does the size compare to 1/32 models?

Thank you. It is 1/35 scale, basically because I wanted to use a ready-made track kit from Tamiya. As the model is a big tank I would say the difference in scale compared to 1/32 is not really noticeable. Another picture of the front view of the real one is attached.

crawford sherman conversion4.jpeg