Now, That's a bucket, ??

James Joe Dewar

Beet are heavy in a normal bucket , if them buckets are not loaded evenly they will twist so need a experienced driver on them ,yes they heap up with them but they push beet into a water channel built into the flat-pads and water transport beet into factory , my local factory at Bury St Edmunds are slicing about 15,000 tonnes a day so need big buckets to keep pushing into water flumes    

• Like 1

It’s usually the closing of the local factory which sees the crop disappear - I see the Coupar one closed on economic grounds in 1971.  The Shropshire (Allscott) factory closed around 2003 and that saw sugar beet all but disappear but a few farms still grow it and have it taken to Newark, with others growing it for fodder as well.   I think the Allscott factory was rail served but I don’t know when they ceased moving it by train.  It used to be a big part of the Irish state railways freight business moving beet but I think that ceased some years ago too. 

• Like 1

I remember a local beet haulier (and tillage farmer) bought the first FIECO cabbed 7600 I remember seeing back in the day. It had a front loader and was used to lift the beet from the heaps into the Armor Salmon cleaner loader.

Big bucket on the front, big counter weight on the back, rutted ground frozen solid, an unsympathetic tractor driver = tractor split in half at the bell housing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smithy said:

Beet are heavy in a normal bucket , if them buckets are not loaded evenly they will twist so need a experienced driver on them ,yes they heap up with them but they push beet into a water channel built into the flat-pads and water transport beet into factory , my local factory at Bury St Edmunds are slicing about 15,000 tonnes a day so need big buckets to keep pushing into water flumes    

not been in bury for ages now, did go in a fair bit as a kid during the lifting season  when we would take our own in with the leyland constructer tipper , just before we gave up doing beet it was easier to let a contractor and artic take it, just meant it sat on our muck heap pad a bit longer thats all . just put some bales between it and the muck.

• Like 1