What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Been levelling off some ground at home today with my weapon of choose a nearly new Hitachi Zaxis 17U.

Martyn you have that look on your face that says kid with new toy, i agree with you Mr Smith was rude to put you have a new weapon

after all the holidays abroad you have taken him on. maybe his freebies will have to go to a more deserving home ha ha. Hope you and

Smithy plus the other halves are well regards Goody  

• Like 1

Martyn you have that look on your face that says kid with new toy, i agree with you Mr Smith was rude to put you have a new weapon

after all the holidays abroad you have taken him on. maybe his freebies will have to go to a more deserving home ha ha. Hope you and

Smithy plus the other halves are well regards Goody

Hello Goody yes me and the other half are ok .I think the look on Martyns face says I have a big chocolate cake for tea tonight or shall we go to McDonald's .Will we see you this weekend?
  • Like 1

Today I've been beating the record at the charity shop of most used underwear in one bag of donation items, total of 18 bras and 53 knickers!!

Assume you were having a good clear out in your wardrobe then!  :-  ;D  ???

• Like 1

Had to go and buy a new all-in-one printer copier scanner today, previous one developed a fault yesterday and doing some online searching for causes and remedies to fix it seems like it's not a 'consumer' repairable fault, bought new in late 2009 it's well out of manufacturer and extended warrantee, the big store where I bought it offered to have a look at it but would probably not have the warewithall to fix it so then contacting the manufactures nearest service and repair centre, Hounslow in Middlesex, which is a long way from here, the very helpful woman said that with the cost of sending it over to them and the cost of the repair would probably be more than what I could buy a new more up to date model, which I've done. The package now includes a set of ink cartridges, these apparently contain within the ink the proper lubricant to prevent the print head and nozzles from blocking up, okay for the first time but with the genuine cartridges being nearly the price of the printer the second lot will have to be compatibles. The stores extra 3 year warrantee was a good deal, just an extra five quid for a no quibble new replacement if anything goes wrong with it.

post-1115-0-17874300-1431154354_thumb.jppost-1115-0-55666800-1431154447_thumb.jpThe winds had eased over the last 2 days so went out spraying the wheat with a fungicide called ENTERPRISE at a rate of 1.483lts/ha tank-mixed with a growth regulator called STABILAN 750 at .600ml/ha .

Also sprayed the rape with SKYWAY 285 XPRO ay 1.LT/ha for Sclerotinia control and MAVRIK at 200mls/ha for seed weevil&bladder pod- midge all was put on at a water rate of 200lts/ha.

• Like 2

Rape still looking well Smithy, any petal fall happening yet? Just starting over this way

Thank you for comment on rape looking well ,no not any petal drop yet only were the tractor/sprayer

went had a big heap on front of tractor the variety is ARAZZO which was sown on the 11th August

• Like 1

Thank you for comment on rape looking well ,no not any petal drop yet only were the tractor/sprayerwent had a big heap on front of tractor the variety is ARAZZO which was sown on the 11th August

as Alex said smithy, your rape looks well. There is some horrific looking rape about this area of East Anglia, and I wonder if people are going to grow it next season. It looks like flea beetle could be even worse next year if the larvae in this years crop is anything to go by.
  • Like 2

as Alex said smithy, your rape looks well. There is some horrific looking rape about this area of East Anglia, and I wonder if people are going to grow it next season. It looks like flea beetle could be even worse next year if the larvae in this years crop is anything to go by.

I think next years rape area will be down at least 20% with flea beetle damage, low prices and low margins, its become an expensive crop to grow all of a sudden hey lads?
  • Like 2

when i went to andover last weekend it was being grown everywhere,especially on the plains before  and after stonehenge,i travel up there regularly and seems more than previous years dont no about the rest of the country

Edited by paulali

All thecrops i have seen this way look much like smithys too, can only recal seeing one patchy field and to be honest i seem to remember his wheat etc being similar, its close to the moorland so probably isnt perfect for that sort of crop ? But hes limited land wise so i guess anythings used

• Like 2

All thecrops i have seen this way look much like smithys too, can only recal seeing one patchy field and to be honest i seem to remember his wheat etc being similar, its close to the moorland so probably isnt perfect for that sort of crop ? But hes limited land wise so i guess anythings used

flea beetle is a pest of some parts of East Anglia Sean. Up the top of Suffolk near southwold my mate hasn't had a problem, and nor has his friends in Bedford. All I can say is that this pest will spread, and when you do see it, it's devastating. Smithys rape looks good, as does ours, because the area of rape to look after is smaller and more manageable. We sprayed ours 4 times for flea beetle last autumn, so 4 times 75 acres is 300 acres of spraying. Some big boys around here grow 800 acres, it doesn't take a lot of working out the workload pressure in the autumn to keep on top of flea beetle for these guys.also Sean, it's not uncommon here to see flocks of wood pigeon of around 2000 head during winter. Do you get pigeons down the West Country in these large flocks? Edited by chris.watson
  • Like 2

I see what you mean when your growing that sort of acreage ,that's serious cash being wasted in man hours, materials and the rest , as for wood pigeons ,you do see them but certainly never seen a flock that big ,  where we farmed in Suffolk (occold and fressingfield) we always had an issue with rooks and crows with our rape and wheat, mainly down to them nesting in  lines of trees mostly oaks and a likes planted many years ago for wind breaks ,they also seemed to scare other birds off, like the pigeons being they will eat other birds young.

• Like 3

Flea beetle is a problem round here so are the pigeons the local guns have no problem getting 150-200 a day on the rape as the sugar beet tops are flailed these days instead off being topped the pigeons don't have a lot else to eat as for flea beetle we planted

early to hope it would grow away from the problem but still sprayed 3 times, unless there is a major price drop this harvest I plan to have about the same area next year as this year (about 36 acres )

• Like 3