What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

I have a 16 acre field that is in off winter wheat this year ,for the last 6 or 7 years its been having wet spots and the last 2 winters being very wet has made these wet spots bigger and a few more appear. It has a few drains which was put in ,in 1967 some have a small depth of stone on them ,and some have this black clinker type stuff on them. You can see the bare bits which are only going to get worse as the years go by the bits that was realy wet are cracking open more in this dry spell than the bits that have a root system holding it together . Been talking to Les Cotton since January about investigating the old drainage and maybe jetting them out but with digging more test holes and finding the old pipe system the old 9inch long clay pipes are cracking up so we have had to make plans to start again with a new system which uses a short length of the old main drain but a lot more pipes in total ,so i have spent all of my IACS money for this year before i have even got it and because this is the last proper year before it slowly disappear we thought its now or never .    The field has a nice topsoil on the surface and normally works into a seedbed ok but it is clay underneath .    

IMG_20210415_094121.jpg

IMG_20210415_094428.jpg

IMG_20210415_094242.jpg

IMG_20210415_094307.jpg

IMG_20210415_165313.jpg

IMG_20210415_160910.jpg

IMG_20210415_094818.jpg

IMG_20210415_160248.jpg

IMG_20210415_164115.jpg

IMG_20210415_164057.jpg

• Like 8

20 hours ago, smithy said:

Smart looking gravel cart. Was it built by Jones Engineering up near me? Looks very similar to a couple of older examples i've photographed on my travels they built to that design.

• Like 1

will hopefully make a difference for you smithy, i can remember the  one at the rear of my grandads being done, that cottons name looks familiar, but they did it in a rope like looking material ,good 4-6” thick ,with a big crawler trencher thing, may have been a county. based thing, as it was blue and looked ford like bonnet wise. wasnt happy as we lost our fav mud pits to play in .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

will hopefully make a difference for you smithy, i can remember the  one at the rear of my grandads being done, that cottons name looks familiar, but they did it in a rope like looking material ,good 4-6” thick ,with a big crawler trencher thing, may have been a county. based thing, as it was blue and looked ford like bonnet wise. wasnt happy as we lost our fav mud pits to play in .

Les Cotton is based at Laxfield ,Suffolk ,so you have probably seen the name around on the white marker posts showing where the outlet is into the ditch  

On 4/20/2021 at 11:11 AM, The Tractor Twitcher said:

Smart looking gravel cart. Was it built by Jones Engineering up near me? Looks very similar to a couple of older examples i've photographed on my travels they built to that design.

It probably was made up there he did tell me last year that it was being built for him but i cant remember where ,he has moved onto another farm now overwise i would ask again 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 7:07 AM, AndyB said:

Best money you can spend Smithy - drainage!

Yes you are right on that one ,its not cheap and at my age i probably wont see my investment return any profit on the crops that we grow but the field should have a higher value should it be sold . On a different matter do the name Nat Finbow   ring any bells with you 

6 hours ago, smithy said:

Yes you are right on that one ,its not cheap and at my age i probably wont see my investment return any profit on the crops that we grow but the field should have a higher value should it be sold . On a different matter do the name Nat Finbow   ring any bells with you 

Probably right.  Oh yes, I know Nat very well!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smithy said:

Les Cotton is based at Laxfield ,Suffolk ,so you have probably seen the name around on the white marker posts showing where the outlet is into the ditch  

prob only 15-20 miles from our two farms at occold, and a bit closer to the third at fressingfield, cant be to many round doing it so may well have been the guys who did ours. certainly seen the signs on ditch banks while driving round .

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 7:01 PM, AndyB said:

Probably right.  Oh yes, I know Nat very well!

I first got to now him about 18 months ago he slowly came in the yard in his van to drop me off some chemical , he jumped out of his van and basically run across the yard to where i had abandoned my fordson major the day before as the starter had got stuck ,he was walking all around it telling me this and that about it and that his father run 3or4 of them on his farm ,he said get me some spanners and i will sort out the starter i said what about your other delivery's he that can wait this is more fun so i left him to it and in about 40 min i looked out of the barn and he was driving it around the yard made his day and mine ,i have seen him a few times since and there is a good possibility that he might be doing another small job for me shortly 

Been a long day ,left home at 6am ,picked up Mr Reeve on the way and headed of up to Cheffins Vintage Auction ,sun was out so pleasantly warm several people about but not packed out like pre gov 19 ,got back home about 10-30pm ,and no apart from a hotdog and a coffee i did not buy anything .  

IMG_20210424_130251.jpg

IMG_20210424_130304.jpg

IMG_20210424_130321.jpg

IMG_20210424_130340.jpg

IMG_20210424_131609.jpg

IMG_20210424_131647.jpg

IMG_20210424_131739.jpg

IMG_20210424_131914.jpg

• Like 6