What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

9 hours ago, SirTainly said:

It's been a while, but we've had illness, issues with getting parts for the bushing press and lots of real life intrusions, including a leaking house roof. I've finally hammered these in, the press only was useful for finishing the bottom bush. Getting a longer t10 rod to make it fit was a challenge. Wish I'd never heard of a trapezoidal thread!

IMG_20231120_125729056.jpg

Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate of late, hope you got the roof sorted.....  All the ones I've done I've used a lump of normal  M20 threaded bar and a couple of big plate washers to pull the king pin bushes in place rather than the specific special bushing tool... If they have knocked in ok just be careful that you haven't mushroom the top surfaces where the hammer has been as it'll tighten up on the king pin... On the Nuffield and Leylands they do recommend running the appropriate hand reamer through them to true them up before sliding the king pin back in but I've never reamed them just given them a lead edge with a half round file and a dose of grease and never had a problem.... 

58 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate of late, hope you got the roof sorted.....  All the ones I've done I've used a lump of normal  M20 threaded bar and a couple of big plate washers to pull the king pin bushes in place rather than the specific special bushing tool... If they have knocked in ok just be careful that you haven't mushroom the top surfaces where the hammer has been as it'll tighten up on the king pin... On the Nuffield and Leylands they do recommend running the appropriate hand reamer through them to true them up before sliding the king pin back in but I've never reamed them just given them a lead edge with a half round file and a dose of grease and never had a problem.... 

Thanks, still waiting for the roofer to send the quote. It's looking like we need new flashing and some work on the chimney, which given the house was built over many years, the flashing is on the roof joins. The old stable, which is now the utility and tank room needs a new roof though. Shame because it looks nice with the old tiles, but they aren't right for the pitch, don't interlock and let water through, so it needs to be done to protect the stuff inside.

I hope I avoided mushrooming by using the parts from the kit, and hammering on those with a hide hammer. The kit gave me a stepped tube that fitted inside the bushing, and I stuck the washer weight part on the end on that and tapped in compass point sequence on that. Fingers crossed! If not I'll be no doubt doing what you suggest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirTainly said:

Thanks, still waiting for the roofer to send the quote. It's looking like we need new flashing and some work on the chimney, which given the house was built over many years, the flashing is on the roof joins. The old stable, which is now the utility and tank room needs a new roof though. Shame because it looks nice with the old tiles, but they aren't right for the pitch, don't interlock and let water through, so it needs to be done to protect the stuff inside.

I hope I avoided mushrooming by using the parts from the kit, and hammering on those with a hide hammer. The kit gave me a stepped tube that fitted inside the bushing, and I stuck the washer weight part on the end on that and tapped in compass point sequence on that. Fingers crossed! If not I'll be no doubt doing what you suggest. 

Sounds like a long term project with your roofs....

Fingers crossed then sounds as though it's a fairly comprehensive kit for the bushes you bought, normally you just get the bottom thrust bearing and the upper and lower phosphor bronze bushes.... 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmd said:

My room for a day or two

20231121_142734.thumb.jpg.935a083db7b0232277e78f33b07cd261.jpg

in having hip replacement luckily classic tractor came this morning so I've something to read at least 

Best of luck with the operation.

I’ve been told theres  a nice photo in the toytrac section…😉

Edited by Jack390
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jmd said:

Cheers Paul 

So far so good all done and dusted now just waiting for epidural to wear off 

Glad all went well John 👍 hope the breakfast is ok at your new short stay hotel (doubt there be any black pudding ) and fingers crossed you don't get a nurse the size of Dave Steele trying to give you a bed bath 😂

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, smithy said:

Good news its all gone well John , we dont have full English down it Ipswich hospital just something they call porridge but looks like cement 😅 and as for nurses i think we have all the ones Paul is on about down here .

Take care John 

Smithy 

To be fair the food has been good and the nurses are all nice enough I'm being well look after cheers smithy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trigger82 said:

What did stuff make was stuff dear ??? . There nice few bits you got ???

Lots of different makes and scales obviously, so a full range of prices. The big Ferguson Black (1/12?)and Ferguson A made by Jim Russell himself made thousands, likewise the scratch built Ferguson combine. A Ferguson salesman's demonstration model with ploughs made £10,000 and the instruction book for it made over £8,000! I was more interested in the 1/32 models and they also made good money. A Brian Norman MF 1200 made £400, a Scaledown MF 65 High clearance, built by Dennis Goodburn, made £260. A Scaledown MF 65 with Selene 4WD also made £260. The real 1936 Ferguson A with Coventry Climax engine made £33,000.

• Like 2