What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Don't think I'll be touching any beer for a while hahaha, anyway my day began with a phone call from the local council looking to hire a JCB telehandler with grain shovel as there has broken down and they won't be able to load the gritters, so got it loaded onto the daf and had it their 35 mins later, that's been about it, sat and moaned a lot, tidied my desk, lunch, spreaded some salt on the yard, home, now away to pizza express with hers truly for a meal

I'd say Harry you had your fair share when you all went on that stag :D

Not the best but a shame to waste it, just get it dry.

We get through 1500t at work of mainly beech as it is a hardwood, burns at a good rate and seasons relatively quickly. Ash we also like as it burns very hot but too quickly so you don't want much of it, anything that isn't straight enough to go through the kindling machine we throw in the log shed and it gets mixed in. We also use poplar for kindling but not for logs, its like balsa! Finally oak, burns hot and slow but takes a good two years to season so we dont get a lot of it if we can help it. Everything is bought in by the artic.load through FSC managed woodlands and plantations. Oh and 'a load' is half a Nissan Cabstar, about 1.3cube.

Spruce does burn but like a lot of fir trees the sap is volatile - it needs to really dry out otherwise the chimney will be on fire!  We put some on a bonfire once and it became a roman candle!  Great for getting a fire started though (in small doses)

Gathering and chopping logs; putting up a backing board and tool hooks in the garage. 90% of my shopping was done online so no need to trawl around the shops.

Lucky you CMB were just back from Belfast shopping feet are so sore :(

• Like 1

Cultivating the Somme like conditions in our remaining ex spud field until the frost went out of it resulting in a few 80% wheel slip moments then going with the boss to pick his 6420s and sprayer up from the dealers where both have been overhauled.

Change of plans get hair cut then cut up the palets then head over to my friends house who has the MF362 to service it then get ready to go to Nathan carter pick Natalie up then lift my MF362 friend and mrs and that's us were away to see Nathan carter :)

Hay to Wales as was yesterday only today I had a backload of 1 MF165, 2 MF590's and two Caterpillar...... Boots! :lol: Seller was at work in Newport just off the motorway so dived in and picked them up on my return trip. Now having a 30 in Leigh Delamare before trundling back to the yard and hone to do a bit of touching in around the hall, stairs and landing. Front bedroom is now finished apart from furniture and soft furniture. :)

Had a pretty awesome trench cutter in today, reaced a bit that the diggers weren't able to get into so got a "contact" in to help out, then ended up ripping a tooth off a bucket for a CAT 308e midi digger, guess the ground was a but chuch, quite cold this morning, it was -5 when I started this morning, its starting to look a lot like winter

Edited by HWS PLANT HIRE
  • Like 1

Mike did you have anything to do with that pile up on the M6 t'other day, pretty bad by the sound of it.

Not directly as it was out of our Highways area.....but we did get one of the ambulances that had broken down at the scene as we have the contract for the North West Ambulance Service :-

We had a recovery in Histon near Cambridge at a food supplier today so I had to text Lord Ferguson to see if it was one of his, it wasn't but it was nice to hear from the old f*rt

I bet it was Marky. He'd probably "parked" Hattie in a ditch again... 

• Like 1

been a rather sad day today as HWS PLANT HIRE, the yards and all machinery has been bought by a much larger uk wide plant hire company, i would like to thank all my customers from the last 4 years for there custom, many of which have became good friends and will continue to keep in contact, the sale has been in the pipeline since 2008 when my father gave it up after 25 years and i took over to see if i could take the company anyfurther, since then i managed to open a further 2 depots, increase the fleet from 15 machines upto 95 machines, but due to the current economical climate the company is no longer able to expand, me, connel and our younger and much more immature brother mark are returning to our trades as bricklayers, and mark as a joiner (no brains required), once again, thankyou for your custom, and good luck in the new year  

Edited by HS.

Logs until it started raining heavily and then in the shed in the dry doing kindling. Dropped Super Pup off at kennels for the night and for tomorrow, now since tea time we've been re-decorating all the knocks and bumps and any cracks and so on. Gradually getting round the whole house now in time for Christmas.