What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

local retired Dr owns the wood not far from me , and he told us to go up and get the trees that had blown over for fire wood so I did the driving and the wife and her brother did the loading :D I said I must do the driving as its a skilled job getting between all the standing ones and insurance company would not believe it if we said honest mate the tree jumped out in front of me :) filled the trailer 3 times

20181203_121515.jpg

20181203_121510.jpg

20181203_101311.jpg

20181203_101254.jpg

20181203_101248.jpg

• Like 7

if you go down to the woods today......there's no bears having a picnic :D......Busy times for you and Julie there Smithy, at least your firewood shed now be full ready for the winter :)  but now you've taken on Woodland management to your busy day to day working life, does that mean we might see another addition to the Smith fleet???, maybe a small County with a winch be handy for you ;)

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

if you go down to the woods today......there's no bears having a picnic :D......Busy times for you and Julie there Smithy, at least your firewood shed now be full ready for the winter :)  but now you've taken on Woodland management to your busy day to day working life, does that mean we might see another addition to the Smith fleet???, maybe a small County with a winch be handy for you ;)

HaHa yes we all now what bears do behind trees ,and I checked before walking in it so yes you are right no bears just pheasant and a few dear , Julies father goes up there a few times a week to feed the pheasant as the Dr has a few shoots up there . Would love the county and winch but don't think the wife will let me , well not at the moment ;) are wood shed is full so we should be warm this winter we also get all the very small stuff of Eric from his wood yard and mix in with some of the bigger bits and sell by the small bag full at the farm gate , we will be going up again soon but don't think I will be taking on the woodland management . Julies father , Jack and his mate Ray and retired Dr Marsh are often up there we call them Foggy, Compo , and Clegg :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Had a pretty nuts week or so, mainly work with some call outs  and a few weird end of day / night hours for a repayment job( big road works shift ) along with trying to get caught up at home , also had to spend a fair bit of time with the mither whi has had to put her dog down after sudden renal failure , totaly unexpected , all went in 2 days with no warning, so shes not overly happy right now , hence my limited time on here of late , 

• Sad 3

Not today but on Thursday I was at the M&M Auction and what a marathon auction it was Andy started of at 10-30 am and with just a couple of small breaks doing the day he sold the last lot well past 9pm , well done Andy ,and Steve  and not forgetting Sally  the mince pies was a nice treat thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smithy said:

Not today but on Thursday I was at the M&M Auction and what a marathon auction it was Andy started of at 10-30 am and with just a couple of small breaks doing the day he sold the last lot well past 9pm , well done Andy ,and Steve  and not forgetting Sally  the mince pies was a nice treat thanks

Sally is just a wonderful woman to talk to did you buy anything at the auction?

• Like 1

Eating Cake , not any old cake but a special piece sent down to me by the Valley Axe Man Paul the cake was made by his Mum , so I am no longer a cake virgin ;) after eating this piece of delicious cake it means I am now a fully affiliated member of the cake club , the piece I had was the bottom part of the legs cant show you the rest of the cake because Robbo will put me on the naughty step again :D  Thanks Paul

20181207_172825.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smithy said:

Eating Cake , not any old cake but a special piece sent down to me by the Valley Axe Man Paul the cake was made by his Mum , so I am no longer a cake virgin ;) after eating this piece of delicious cake it means I am now a fully affiliated member of the cake club , the piece I had was the bottom part of the legs cant show you the rest of the cake because Robbo will put me on the naughty step again :D  Thanks Paul

20181207_172825.jpg

Welcome  aboard Smithy and welcome to the club ;), glad you enjoyed the cake,  i'll post up the full cake (well my 4th cake) as it's only a cake after all and i'll only ever be 40 once hahah  :D 

IMG_5079.thumb.JPG.6d9f087ff735a9a90430ba88f33609ee.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, smithy said:

Unloaded this today it belongs to my mate Eric it spends its time outside in his woodyard on a log splitter , the water pump has gone on it and I am going to fit it a new one  ,he has two of these 4/65 the other one has a bar rear axle

20181208_115716.jpg

20181208_115654.jpg

That looks like a MK1 Smithy if the tinwork is original and not been messed about with, the Mk2 had a silver stripe around the bonnet and different decals that came about when the early tractor had a few issues with over heating due to the radiator being so far back in the tractor and the fan and drive not being able to move enough air across the radiator to cool it sufficently.... I always thought that the bar axle was only fitted to the Universals but looking through various parts books the slidey hubs were available right up to the end of Leylands days, I've seen a few now with them and my mate up at the Scottish Borders had a 272 Synchro fitted with them in his collection until a few years ago when he moved it on to be able to re invest in another tractor. 

Glad to see your mate Eric keeps them in work, too many old Nuffields and Leylands have ended their days in fishing crews or cockle picking or shrimping teams around the country, their higher clearance and better low down torque and faster top gear making them ideal for getting about on the sands without having to give them too big of a crack of the whip, but in the end the salty enviroment finishes then off, sad really. look forwards to seeing a few photo's of your work in progress ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

That looks like a MK1 Smithy if the tinwork is original and not been messed about with, the Mk2 had a silver stripe around the bonnet and different decals that came about when the early tractor had a few issues with over heating due to the radiator being so far back in the tractor and the fan and drive not being able to move enough air across the radiator to cool it sufficently.... I always thought that the bar axle was only fitted to the Universals but looking through various parts books the slidey hubs were available right up to the end of Leylands days, I've seen a few now with them and my mate up at the Scottish Borders had a 272 Synchro fitted with them in his collection until a few years ago when he moved it on to be able to re invest in another tractor. 

Glad to see your mate Eric keeps them in work, too many old Nuffields and Leylands have ended their days in fishing crews or cockle picking or shrimping teams around the country, their higher clearance and better low down torque and faster top gear making them ideal for getting about on the sands without having to give them too big of a crack of the whip, but in the end the salty enviroment finishes then off, sad really. look forwards to seeing a few photo's of your work in progress ;)

Thanks for information paul I did not now about the over heating issues it is all original tin work eric has had the tractor for years now he used to get his own wood out of the woods with it in his younger/healthier days he buys the wood in now as he is approaching 76 years young and since he had a stroke a few years back he is not the man he used to be but cutting up wood keeps him going . Am I right that if the steering wheel is white tractor was made in one factory (Scotland ) and black steering wheels was another factory building the same tractor   

2 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Welcome  aboard Smithy and welcome to the club ;), glad you enjoyed the cake,  i'll post up the full cake (well my 4th cake) as it's only a cake after all and i'll only ever be 40 once hahah  :D 

IMG_5079.thumb.JPG.6d9f087ff735a9a90430ba88f33609ee.JPG

Well done Paul and I will wish you a happy birthday again on here allow I now it was last week , I expect yourself and mb86 have been eating the top half :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smithy said:

Well done Paul and I will wish you a happy birthday again on here allow I now it was last week , I expect yourself and mb86 have been eating the top half :D

Had my bit delivered yesterday, think it's a bit of thigh. And a very tasty bit of thigh it was too. ;)

image.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Had my bit delivered yesterday, think it's a bit of thigh. And a very tasty bit of thigh it was too. ;)

image.jpg

well done yes it looks like the next bit up to mine ,I guess Paul is keep the top two BITS for himself  :D suppose it will give him something to chew on haha:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smithy said:

well done yes it looks like the next bit up to mine ,I guess Paul is keep the top two BITS for himself  :D suppose it will give him something to chew on haha:)

Judging by the size of the top bit of the cake I think there is plenty to feed a few dozen more in those two bits you refer to smithy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, smithy said:

Thanks for information paul I did not now about the over heating issues it is all original tin work eric has had the tractor for years now he used to get his own wood out of the woods with it in his younger/healthier days he buys the wood in now as he is approaching 76 years young and since he had a stroke a few years back he is not the man he used to be but cutting up wood keeps him going . Am I right that if the steering wheel is white tractor was made in one factory (Scotland ) and black steering wheels was another factory building the same tractor   

At least he keeps going Smithy thats the main thing, he hasn't let his ill health stop him in his tracks and i admire anyone like that, top man in my book ;) The story behind the white and black steering wheels denotes the difference between a standard tractor and one that was ordered as deluxe... i not too sure as to what the differences actually are but that came from a man called Gordon whom i met who was a die hard Nuffield fan with half a dozen in his collection including a 4/65 Bray and like your mate Eric, Gordon refuses to give up even though the jobs take him longer, as long as he's a brew and some biscuits about he'll slowly get on with the job, back in his younger days Gordon would chop 300 acre of grass with his 482 Leyland, some man that i could spend hours just listening to his memories of working the land. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1