Ability

JC

Traction as well of course... I guess that's an impossible question to answer really... HP is revs.. where as torque is grunt basicly...

I do know tug boats as measured in bollard pull... I guess it's a level playing field if they are all in the water... but with tractors there are too many variables..  :-\

In summary... I havn't got a bloody clue  :D :D

Depends on tractor weight, tyre size, 2 or 4WD, type of 4WD, the driver and ground conditions.  Silsoe Research before it closed conducted standard tests under standard conditions that could be used to compare different tractors.  Similar tests were/are conducted on mainland Europe and USA.

A good driver who carefully adds weight to his/her tractor to match the implement will acheive the best output.  

It's got to be down to weight and grip rather than power, for instance a 5hp traction engine would pull a 120hp tractor all over the place on the right surface.

Similar to crawlers then, at college we had a 33hp Bristol Taurus crawler, she's just pull 4f in nice soil but an MF230 wouldn't pull 3 furrows. DICKY showed me some pics from NZ of an event which the name hascescaped me but they strap a concrete lump to the pick up hith of various sized normal farm tractors and tow it over a set distance from a standing start. Fendt's were getting whipped by similar sized Deere's with powershift rather than stepless transmissions.

It is a function of gearing and traction.

If you have a low enough gear you can pull anything, provided you can get traction.

Zetor Crystals were always amazing when it came to pulling trailers out of mucky spots. I've never seen any other 2wd that could put the power down as well as a Crystal.

It is a function of gearing and traction.

If you have a low enough gear you can pull anything, provided you can get traction.

Zetor Crystals were always amazing when it came to pulling trailers out of mucky spots. I've never seen any other 2wd that could put the power down as well as a Crystal.

You are kidding... right  ???:o

no he'e not marky ,

i drove zetors for dawes , 9045, 14145 & 12545 , with the duncan cab fitted (the later crystals) & they were pretty much unstoppable , the 14145 would pull a loaded 2000gal tanker & five leg flat lift injector at a depth of 16in on the hills around  totnes & to be fair , they were hills that i wasnt over impressed to be having to drive on but the zetors  went up & down everywhere , , the 1884 were stuggling as were the fendts , thats why we had the zetors in , but soon as they hit tarmac they fall to bits  :(

give them their due , they were pretty awsome to see working & fitted with the michilin MX's pretty unstoppable

Blimey boys... I never realised that... so why are they such a joke then...  ???

Sound like good machines to me... they seem to have the earlier "skoda" image in the farming world - or is that just around here... where things are flat and we have plenty of LONG LONG droves

This might help in some sense

When we bought our dump trailer Any dealer we went to reccomended 8to 10 HP per ton

In other word a 120hp tractor is recomended to pull a 12 ton dump trailer

which is why me old man bought the 12 and not a 14  :'( :'( :'( :'(

aw well i'll put greedy wings on her sometime  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This might help in some sense

When we bought our dump trailer Any dealer we went to reccomended 8to 10 HP per ton

In other word a 120hp tractor is recomended to pull a 12 ton dump trailer

which is why me old man bought the 12 and not a 14  :'( :'( :'( :'(

aw well i'll put greedy wings on her sometime   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thats a good "rule of thumb" guide Ricky, does your tractor cope OK with that trailer??

Ha ha oh yes like the 6620 is sittin at 170+ so she never knows its there!!

The 3050 is at 140 -145 so shes easy too

NOW THE MF 362 . . . . . .62 Hp . . . . .. dad pull home 11ton of wheat with her + weight of the grain trailer so she'd do too just a MUCH slower way home!!!

OH and no trailer brakes :-\ :-\ :-\

We aim for around 10hp per ton bar odd occasion when down on tractors so will have 270hp on 14 tons :D , but most machines we've found will pull on tarmac more then you expect like our 106-54 will pull the 14 tonners with no real problems. It's when you hit wet conditions that it can really vary on the slippery tracks even the 735 on 14 tonnes will struggle. It all depends on conditions and what the machine can actualy do we've found

its all down to the driver at the end of the day with modern tractors/machinery the skill is being lost setting the tractor and implement is a worthwhile excersise.

its nice to have power but i see so many so called ploughmen making the job look hard work if only they spent a few minutes they could pull another furrow use less diesel and do a better job

its all down to the driver at the end of the day with modern tractors/machinery the skill is being lost setting the tractor and implement is a worthwhile excersise.

its nice to have power but i see so many so called ploughmen making the job look hard work if only they spent a few minutes they could pull another furrow use less diesel and do a better job

Very true there my mate pulled 6 furrows with his 8240 whereas the 7810 deere could only manage 5, taking the time makes all the difference wise words there archbarch

think i always messed about with the settings all day long to get a better job done & when you've got it right , you feel better for taking the time to do it as well

as for the zetor's marky , basic & unreliable , on the whole , but like anything , any machine will go wrong if not looked after properly , & most zetors were stockman tractors anyway , although there is a farmer nearby , who has a couple of 6000series JD & ford ??? & a mf 698 T , but a zetor 8045 still runs the jag forager at silage time !

• 1 month later...

what a good thread to read,top marks to FP for starting it.

I realy think for road work you can can get away with useing a smaller or lets say under powered tractor for the job than when working on a paddock because grip is not realy a prob on a road.

I often pull 28 ton of potatoes on the road with a 140hp tractor (1455xl) with no prob at all because the road has very good grip and the air brakes pull me to stop in no time.

what a good thread to read,top marks to FP for starting it.

I realy think for road work you can can get away with useing a smaller or lets say under powered tractor for the job than when working on a paddock because grip is not realy a prob on a road.

I often pull 28 ton of potatoes on the road with a 140hp tractor (1455xl) with no prob at all because the road has very good grip and the air brakes pull me to stop in no time.

Pics Oli, we need pics :P :P :P :P