1/32 Scale Models

Cropmaster

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how far technology has developed over recent years, a 1/16 scale model of a tractor will always contain more detail than a 1/32 scale version, as it impossible to produce 1/32 scale versions of certain tractor components. Here is the reason why: When you start dividing the actual width of a Fordson Major's diesel injector pipes for example by 32, the resultant scaled width would render including such details impossible on a 1/32 scale model. In 1/16th scale however, UH were able to include these injector pipes on their model of the Power Major. It is the same story with other components of the real life tractor that can be replicated in 1/16 scale, but not in a 1/32. Therefore, if a manufacturer is making a model of a tractor in both 1/32 scale and 1/16 scale, and is making an effort to include the maximum possible amount of detail in each, the 1/16 scale version will always be more detailed.

Q.E.D. ;D ;D ;D

So basically, if you don't want any details left out thus making a model inaccurate, purely for the display purpose and to own a model of something you have once owned or driven. .. ..  1/16.

If you want lots of models of numerous vehicles and implements, fairly good detail, a base layout maybe depicting a working farm in your area or in fantasy ..  1/32.

Case Adjourned!!

Well I agree with the two paragraphs Deere-est.

The case however is focusing on why UH's 1/16 scale range of vintage tractors would be superior to 1/32 scale models of the same machines, and not on 1/32 scale Vs 1/16 scale models in general, made by different manufacturers. :D

I have proven why this is so, and also the fact that if a manufacturer builds two models of the same tractor, one in 1/16 scale and the other in 1/32 scale, including the greatest amount of detail possible in each, the 1/16 scale replica will always be more detailed than the 1/32 scale model. :D Now the case is adjourned! ;D

Well I agree with the two paragraphs Deere-est.

The case however is focusing on why UH's 1/16 range of vintage tractors would be superior to 1/32 scale models of the same machines, and not on 1/32 scale Vs 1/16 scale models in general. :D

From above, I think I have proven that 1/16 scale models of UH's current vintage range would be more detailed and would have many advantages over a 1/32 scale range of the same models, if produced. :D :DNow the case is adjourned. ;D

I dissagree, the only advantage you get with 1;16 scale is the extra detail and thats it....

They cost more

They take up more room

You can't display as many due to the size

They are more difficult to store if you don't display them, purely down to the size

There are very few implements you can display with them

They've only made on blue one....

The last two 'advantages' you listed F-P are irrelevant. The only reason why there are few implements you can display with 1/16 scale tractors, is that manufacturers have decided not to go to the bother of producing 1/16 scale implements because (a) such models would require a lot more detail, and would thus be more difficult to produce, and (B), as a result of (a) there are not many 1/16 scale tractors on the market to attach the implements to. Thus, this is not an advantage of 1/32 scale models over 1/16 scale tractors. The point is that 1/16 scale models of UH's vintage tractors would be more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, and this detail gives 1/16 models an advantage that outweighs any of the 'advantages' you have listed regarding 1/32 scale replicas.  ;)

I think advantage is the worng word to use now that I have read all through this Topic a couple of times. If I had a 1/32 model tractor sat in a cabinet next to a 1/16 scale of the same model . ... both sat there doing diddly squat, you could take them out, look at them, turn them over, put them back, close the cabinet door. .. . Look at them again. ... neither one poses any great advantage of even being there in the first place.

Owning any model at all doesn't give it's owner an advantage over not owning one.

That chap in Classic Tractor with the layout a few months back ... ...  1/32. .. ..  DOGS BALLS aswell!! But no advantage to anyone or anything really.

The last two 'advantages' you listed F-P are irrelevant. The only reason why there are few implements you can display with 1/16 scale tractors, is that manufacturers have decided not to go to the bother of producing 1/16 scale implements because (a) such models would require a lot more detail, and would thus be more difficult to produce, and (B), as a result of (a) there are not many 1/16 scale tractors on the market to attach the implements to. Thus, this is not an advantage of 1/32 scale models over 1/16 scale tractors. The point is that 1/16 scale models of UH's vintage tractors would be more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, and this detail gives 1/16 models an advantage that outweighs any of the 'advantages' you have listed regarding 1/32 scale replicas.  ;)

You're starting to talk in riddles, my accountant makes more sense.

Either way, no matter what you think or say I'm pretty certain most people on here would prefer 1;32 over 1;16 scale.  :)

I agree F-P, but what people want from their models is a different discussion! ;)

What people want from their models is what will determine their preference between scales, and with that said, it all becomes the same discussion.....  ;)

I still think that if UH wanted they could make a replica every bit as good in 1/32 as 1/16. I don't believe the detail really has all that much to do with the scale. I think it has to do with a turn in the market, 1/16 was mainly played with by kids, now they are playing with 1/32 & 1/64 and collectors are now collecting 1/16. All the detail is probably not worth putting on if they are being played with.

I think you need to get out more CM and have a look at some small stuff and see how detailed it is. As the saying goes. "Good Things Come In Small Packages"

Nuff Said  :D :D :D

From reading the posts on this forum, it seems that many people would prefer Universal Hobbies(UH) produce 1/32 scale models instead of 1/16 scale replicas. Why is this? 1/16 models are far more difficult to produce as they are much more detailed than 1/32 scale versions. One of the main reasons manufacturers build models in the smaller 1/32 scale is to avoid having to replicate every little detail on the 'real life' model.  ;)

And anyway, whereas models of larger modern tractors look reasonable in 1/32 scale, vintage tractors produced in this scale are absolutely tiny!  ;D 1/16 is the perfect scale for UH's excellent and extremely accurate models. By producing these 1/16 scale models, UH, unlike many other manufacturers, has gone the extra mile (or light year) in replicating the original tractors. In my opinion UH make the most accurate and the best value models on sale today. 1/16 models of vintage tractors are larger and more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, and therefore are a superior replica of the original machine. I can see no advantage of producing 1/32 scale versions instead!  :D :D

No, it is not the same discussion, as here we are discussing why 1/16 scale models will always be more detailed than 1/32 scale models, if they are of the same tractor, made by the same manufacturer, and each include the greatest possible amount of detail.  ::)  :D :D

I've highlighted a statement from your first post.......

It is my opinion that you are very wrong, and this is my point...... I do not own a 1:16 scale model and apart from the inevitable purchase of Marky's 1:16 scale fergie I doubt I will ever own another..... if I was given one it would most likely be sold unless it was something VERY special. I'm sure that the majority of collectors who visit this forum are of the same opinion for the same or similar reasons that have already been stated in this topic. If you've ever had the pleasure of looking at a scaledown model or one of DBP's models you will see that it is possible to add very good detail to a model in 1:32 scale and I will go as far as to say that these models are far more superior to the 1:16 models you seem to be raving on about just down to the fact that far more work goes into building a model in 1:32 scale than a 1:16 scale.