1/32 Scale Models

Cropmaster

BANG ON with that last post  ;)    Go to spalding yea they have all sorts of scales BUT there is one scale that almost every stall does and thats 1/32  i know of 3 1/16 tractor model makers that are any good

that bloke who has done  the JCB "classic combines

that bloke who does the leylands and david browns in 1/16

now im getting stuck    ummmmmmmmmmm buder  ;D ;D

all of the other stalsl seem to specialize in 1/32 whether it be Kits ,scratch build ,spares or repair and the genral release manufactures

the rest will normaly be empalmeria (mags brouchures catologues)

1/32 rules in the uk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that 1/16 scale is ideal for vintage tractors, as it can show more detail and they tend to be smaller anyway. What we need from UH is a range of classic tractors in 1/32 scale , to match our Britains ,Siku UH moderns, ie. IH 885xl, 574/674 , 1255/1455 ,MF 500's 600's 300's , DB 996, 1200 etc , etc, etc.

I personally think that 1/16 scale is ideal for vintage tractors, as it can show more detail and they tend to be smaller anyway. What we need from UH is a range of classic tractors in 1/32 scale , to match our Britains ,Siku UH moderns, ie.  IH 885xl, 574/674 , 1255/1455 ,MF 500's 600's 300's ,      DB 996, 1200 etc , etc, etc.

cant say any better than that now  ;) ;) ;);D ;D                 

I've highlighted a statement from your first post.......

It is my opinion that you are very wrong, and this is my point...... I do not own a 1:16 scale model and apart from the inevitable purchase of Marky's 1:16 scale fergie I doubt I will ever own another..... if I was given one it would most likely be sold unless it was something VERY special. I'm sure that the majority of collectors who visit this forum are of the same opinion for the same or similar reasons that have already been stated in this topic. If you've ever had the pleasure of looking at a scaledown model or one of DBP's models you will see that it is possible to add very good detail to a model in 1:32 scale and I will go as far as to say that these models are far more superior to the 1:16 models you seem to be raving on about  just down to the fact that far more work goes into building a model in 1:32 scale than a 1:16 scale.

What a silly argument F-P!  ;D ;DJust because someone spends more time building a model does not mean that it is better. The amount of time that goes into building a model is nothing to do with how accurate or detailed it is. Clearly a hand built scaledown model takes more time to produce than a mass-produced UH tractor. This does not in any way imply that it is of superior quality.

In my opinion, no 1/32 scale model on the market today is as detailed as the 1/16 scale UH range of vintage tractors. While it may be possible to include great detail in a 1/32 scale model, it would be physically impossible for models in this scale to be as detailed as 1/16 scale versions made by the same manufacturer, of the same tractor. This you cannot argue with!   ::);D ;D

but there isnt allot of detail on todays real tractors the cabs are all glass harley any frame with

curved pannels all over out of the 150 plus models i have got only 3 of them are 1/16

uh mwould do just as good if not better if they whent all 1/32 modern /classic or even vintage in my opinion

cropmaster obiously you like 1/16 and you think thats the way to go but i think most of us

like 1/32 more

its just a matter of opinion at the end of the day  ;)

From reading the posts on this forum, it seems that many people would prefer Universal Hobbies(UH) produce 1/32 scale models instead of 1/16 scale replicas. Why is this? 1/16 models are far more difficult to produce as they are much more detailed than 1/32 scale versions. One of the main reasons manufacturers build models in the smaller 1/32 scale is to avoid having to replicate every little detail on the 'real life' model.  ;)

And anyway, whereas models of larger modern tractors look reasonable in 1/32 scale, vintage tractors produced in this scale are absolutely tiny!  ;D 1/16 is the perfect scale for UH's excellent and extremely accurate models. By producing these 1/16 scale models, UH, unlike many other manufacturers, has gone the extra mile (or light year) in replicating the original tractors. In my opinion UH make the most accurate and the best value models on sale today. 1/16 models of vintage tractors are larger and more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, and therefore are a superior replica of the original machine. I can see no advantage of producing 1/32 scale versions instead!  :D :D

I think you arguement is based on the fact you just like 1/16th as you contradict yourself saying it can't be done in 1/32 but in your initial post you say it's to avoid having to do it.

I'd say with such high criteria your collection of tractors is very small ??? There really is a lot of good stuff out there by other manufacturers.

It's all personal preference anyway, I'd rather have a 1/32 tractor with a little less detail that a detailed 1/16. It all depends on what you are collecting for. I collect 1/32 scale and only those of Britains manufacture.

I personally think that 1/16 scale is ideal for vintage tractors, as it can show more detail and they tend to be smaller anyway. What we need from UH is a range of classic tractors in 1/32 scale , to match our Britains ,Siku UH moderns, ie. IH 885xl, 574/674 , 1255/1455 ,MF 500's 600's 300's , DB 996, 1200 etc , etc, etc.

here, here!!!

i havent got enough room for 1/16 scale anyway

What a silly argument F-P!  ;D ;DJust because someone spends more time building a model does not mean that it is better. The amount of time that goes into building a model is nothing to do with how accurate or detailed it is. Clearly a hand built scaledown model takes more time to produce than a mass-produced UH tractor. This does not in any way imply that it is of superior quality.

In my opinion, no 1/32 scale model on the market today is as detailed as the 1/16 scale UH range of vintage tractors. While it may be possible to include great detail in a 1/32 scale model, it would be physically impossible for models in this scale to be as detailed as 1/16 scale versions made by the same manufacturer, of the same tractor. This you cannot argue with!   ::);D ;D

I'll quote it again.........

You are the one who wants to argue........... 99% of the discussion around here is 1:32 scale..........

Look guys, it's a simple as this: 1/32 scale versions of UH's vintage tractors would simply not be as accurate or as detailed as the current 1/16 scale models. Therefore, 1/32 scale versions of these tractors would have no real advantage over 1/16 scale models at all (apart from somewhat trivial advantages such as the fact that they do not take up as much space, an advantage clearly outweighed by the benefit of having a much more detailed 1/16 scale replica).

Now, clearly, most people here collect 1/32 scale models. If you had read the first post carefully you would have noted that I am not talking of 1/32 scale models Vs 1/16 models in general, but why 1/32 scale versions of UH's vintage tractors would have no 'real' advantage over the 1/16 scale models on sale at the moment. This is the point. Not why people should collect 1/16 scale models as opposed to 1/32 scale models, a point you seem to be arguing. Before you start to argue F-P, read the initial post carefully, to see what the exact motion of the debate is! ::) ::)

Britfarmer, I have never contradicted myself. Yes, many manufacturers produce 1/32 scale versions of their tractors to avoid having to include the extra detail that would be required on a 1/16 scale version. I said in a previous post that SOME DETAILS, such as injector pipes and other relatively small components on the real tractor could not possibly be included on a 1/32 scale tractor, but could feature on a 1/16 scale version. These two statements do not contradict each other in any way.  ::);)

Beginning, Middle and End.

Thanks Ben... I think the thing I have discovered recently is... the 1:16 scene is a whole market to itself... Mostly MUCH older people... Mostly farmers...  :-\

The worry is.... does this market have a long-term future then...  ??? ??? - I know the model bus scene reports to be in trouble as some of it's members die off and don't get replaced  :-\

Interesting thread and when one looks at it through my old tired eyes, since I was probably collecting some 1/16 before cropmasters dad was born.  Which brings to point  that UH is just a new kid on the block............we've never seen that kind of detail before except in the precision line of Ertl...........if UH would of been around 30 years ago with their 1/16 high detailed then cropmaster could put forth his premise but since UH just started recently with the 1/16 I don't see how his position is very valid...........

And Cropmaster, take it from an old man, one does not change opinion by whacking peope over the head with one ideas...... ;)

What an interesting topic  ;)

Bottom line is that everyone is different and has different tastes which is what makes this place so enjoyable.

Both sides to this argument  ;)

Both scale sizes currently have a market place and I think UH will continue as is for a while yet.

Thanks Ben... I think the thing I have discovered recently is... the 1:16 scene is a whole market to itself... Mostly MUCH older people... Mostly farmers...  :-\

The worry is.... does this market have a long-term future then...  ??? ??? - I know the model bus scene reports to be in trouble as some of it's members die off and don't get replaced  :-\

Good question. To tell you the truth, I don't see 16th scale staying. We are getting better detail in 32nd scale each year, which draws a compromise for collectors with detail and size. After all the debates about 16th implements in TTS this summer, RC2 appears to be at the point of refusing production of all large 16th implements, stating there is no market for them in the farm toy world. With all the castings they have being re-used on large tractors, there is no money to tool any implements to go behing the tractors that would hook up to toys made from 10 - 15 year old tooling. Only two scales are growing now, and that's 32nd, and 64th (in particular in Yankee Doodle land). There are still many middle aged collectors who collect and customise 16th toys, but over all the scale is not getting enough new collectors to give the model manufacturers any purpose to make 16th. I think that we will still get quite a few years until 16th scale goes down the hill rapidly. The end result would most likely be 32nd scale dominating over most of the world, with 64th dominating in the US. Sad to say, but most people (myself included), prefer 32nd over 16th for the reasons in the above posts, which is why we will most likely not see a market for it in the future. :(

1/16 - great if you like vintage tractors in isolation, but what if you like farms? Or combines? What happens when vintage tractors get "newer" and therefore larger? does one pack in the 1/16?

Does it matter that a 1/32 tractor lacks certain detail when it would be too small to be of major relavence? It depends on how anally you admire your tractors, whether you study the engine block or sit back and look at a tractor pulling an implement in the field.

There have been some terrible generalizations in this thread which makes it painful to read. You could say why make a tractor in 1/16, when a tractor in 1/12 will be so much more detailed, or why go for 1/32 when 1/64 will take up less space, the answer, there is no best scale for anything

1/16 - great if you like vintage tractors in isolation, but what if you like farms? Or combines? What happens when vintage tractors get "newer" and therefore larger? does one pack in the 1/16?

Does it matter that a 1/32 tractor lacks certain detail when it would be too small to be of major relavence? It depends on how anally you admire your tractors, whether you study the engine block or sit back and look at a tractor pulling an implement in the field.

There have been some terrible generalizations in this thread which makes it painful to read. You could say why make a tractor in 1/16, when a tractor in 1/12 will be so much more detailed, or why go for 1/32 when 1/64 will take up less space, the answer, there is no best scale for anything

Well said IHP  ;)

I guess there has to be some standard scales.. like you say 1/12 would be great... then 1/8 would be even better  :o

I do get your point about combines/buildings etc.... 1/16 is really limited to tractors at the present time... what I would like to see would be some old implements in 1/16 scale... now that would be really something  :-\