Louisiana Sugar Cane Harvest 2006

DPH

Heres some pics my dad took from down in Thibodaux (Tibudo) Louisiana.  This area is Sugar Cane Country. Obviously Thanksgiving isn't even a reason for them to stop, but they do race against the weather with harvest starting in Early to mid November and often ends up as a wet harvest. Being a little to far north to experience this for myself, Im not too familiar with the practice but I can try to answer some questions.

Field Work:

000_0025.jpg

000_0026.jpg

000_0027.jpg

000_0028.jpg

000_0030.jpg

000_0031.jpg

000_0032.jpg

000_0047.jpg

Heres some pics he took of the trucks getting to the sugar mill.  Don't know if this was in Thibodaux or Raceland just down Hwy 1.  I have absolutly no idea how this works ha ha!.

000_0034.jpg

000_0035.jpg

000_0036.jpg

000_0037.jpg

000_0038.jpg

000_0039.jpg

000_0040.jpg

Enjoy! and Happy Thanksgiving.

Erm. . ..  WOW!!!!

What an interesting set up, never new they tipped trailers like that!! I have seen the ramps that semi's drive on and get tipped up vertically but never a winch sytem like that for side-dumpers. Thanks for the pics  :)

dam thats what you call a high tip trailer, ,great pic ccf, that harvestor look mean to, have they made any in 1/32

Um.........Don't you mean Great pic DPH?

Good pictures and a very interesting method to it aswell! As Tris pointed out the method for tipping trailers makes good viewing!

Did they just have the 2 Deere's and a Case on the carts? Thanks for them!

I wasn't there, so I don't know, my dad took the pictures.  I think he only went to one farm and they ussually run about 3 or 4 carts.

Nice pictures David...is Sugar Cane harvested only every 2 years?  ???:)

Sugar Cane is harvested every year, but it is only planted every two or three years.  It continously grows back but the yields arent good after three years.

DPH, whats the raised section on the front of the machine??, the bit that sticks out front :-\

Its not ussually raised.  In this pic, it is down shreading the tops of the plants.  Im guessing that keeps less trash out of the crop.

camco.jpg

david how do they measuer the amount they get from the crop ? is it by tones per acer ,or just puerly weight

Sorry I don't really know.  Not my ussual type of farming that Im used to but my educated guess would be tons.