Massey Ferguson 760 combine

Dan (Twotoots2) of Toy Tractor Times just finished this conversion from an Ertl Massey Ferguson 760 combine. Dan said didn't mind me sharing it, so I thought you all might like to see it.

Yess!!!  The Massey is unofficially done.  There is a small bit of touch up painting' date=' detailing and cleanup, and the combine will be complete.  This is about as good as it gets for the time being with the beat up camera.

This weekend, I painted the cab, decaled the combine, added lights, pickup teeth for the header, mounted the platform auger and installed glass in the cab.  The combine looks complete at this point.  Here are some pics of the finished project which I started on Nov 18th.

[img']http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/14994609/226311883.jpg

Here is a photo of the real thing to show you how the model stacks up....

223496623.jpg

226311882.jpg

Its been a long haul, lots of scrathbuilt mods.  I've lost track of the hours invested, but probably close to 60 hours.

226311873.jpg

I added a ladder over the hood compartment after seeing a 760 fixed up that way.  The screen on the right hand side of the hood compartment is a "dealer" installed cutout to increase air flow through the engine bay.  You will occasionally see one of these combines with a gaping hole in the right side. Mine is screened over!  Also compare the two elevators at the bottom of the body.  The original toy at the bottom just had one elevator...and flattened detail.  I made new ones.

226311788.jpg

Top view of the rig, notice the grain bin.  I built a cross auger for the bin which represents the real thing.

226311864.jpg

Believe it or not, there are no belts or pulleys on this combine.  I didn't count the separate parts on this build, but I imagine there are over 500 new parts....easily!  So that detail kind of precludes the need for belts and pulleys.  You really don't miss them.

226311838.jpg

226311748.jpg

The header pickup teeth were made out of wire strands bend on a wire winding jig.  That gets the little curly springs added.  I spent only an hour winding and gluing 30 teeth to the "canvas".  The canvas is made out of a rubber bicycle tube stretched around a tube frame.  There are 11 lights on the rig too.  I may replace the ones on the cab.  I don't like them as they make the machine look "buggy".  I may just mount them to the sides of the cab, where they should be.

226311768.jpg

The rear axle was completely hand fabbed and widened to give the combine a little more brawn.  The axle doesn't steer, but pivots.  I cut the old axle out to make the new assy work.

226311856.jpg

THE BEFORE PICTURE!!!!

206401002.jpg

It is for what the Yanks call windrowing - basically the crop is cut with another machine and then picked up with this head - similar to a Shelbourne Reynolds draper/stripper header  ;)

cheers Nashmach, you beat me by only a few seconds!

:o :o :o - Thanks for posting Beetie... that is simply superb mate... what a difference it makes as well... I reckon I will habve to have a go at one of those sometime...

I am staggered at the level of detail on that machine now.. I bet that is some piece as well... the combine is 1:24 scale... so it's big and heavy  :o

:-*:-* :-*:-* :-*

Draper pickup headers seem to be very popular over there in the 70's and 80's... are they still used today Beetie... Pops... anyone  ???

:o :o :o - Thanks for posting Beetie... that is simply superb mate... what a difference it makes as well... I reckon I will habve to have a go at one of those sometime...

I am staggered at the level of detail on that machine now.. I bet that is some piece as well... the combine is 1:24 scale... so it's big and heavy  :o

:-*:-* :-*:-* :-*

Draper pickup headers seem to be very popular over there in the 70's and 80's... are they still used today Beetie... Pops... anyone  ???

I believe they still are used out west still Marky.  :)

Wow, as if the combine wasn't a nice enough looking machine he has made a work of art out of that pick-up header. I don;t have any pics over here of me picking up oats with a Gleaner and an AGCO pickup header, shame as they are some nice photo's too.

Great model and thanks to twotoots for allowing you to post them here Beetie, now get him signed up. I think Marky may want to make sexy love with him though so warn him first!!

Tristopher Smallfry OTT Quoted: "....I think Marky may want to make sexy love with him though so warn him first!!"

I appreciate the comments and compliments regarding the combine build, but can do without the sexual induendos here.  My young boy reads these posts and quotes like that are totally unnecessary!

Tristopher Smallfry OTT Quoted: "....I think Marky may want to make sexy love with him though so warn him first!!"

I appreciate the comments and compliments regarding the combine build, but can do without the sexual induendos here.  My young boy reads these posts and quotes like that are totally unnecessary!

Sorry buddy, best proof read some of the posts before hand then!!

Any offence caused, apology given.  :-[

Deer-est: No personal offense taken.  Apology accepted. Its the kids we have to be careful with.....['nuff said, sermon off]

Thanks again everyone for the comments on the Massey.  The type of pickup head this combine has is a windrow pickup.  In our area of the world, Wyoming, we irrigate every acre.  Lots of it is flood irrigated, which ussually means uneven grain ripening.  So we ussually windrow the grain before combining it to let the "greens" dry enough to get overall moisture down.

I've documented the build at www.toytractortimes.com in the 1/16 toytalk under the "message boards" tab at the home page.  The build starts here on page 6 and progresses forward to page 1.  Other combine posts usually begin with the "Massey 760 something" subject line.