Tractor Upgrade.... help plase

FW

Am currently looking to upgrade our Case 885xl as my Dad said if I can find something better, go ahead and upgrade it and have it as your own. The Case is a graet tractor with a Quicke loader apart from it has a Lp cab on it, which isn't that graet for a lot of field work, but lovely around the yard. I want something with a 40k box on it and ideally a/c.

We also have a 5130 which is a great tractor and would be nice to find something similar to run as my own this summar when I pass my test, so something along a 50 series Maxxum would be nice. Would rather stick with a classic like a 956 or even a 1056 and sticking with the rest of our Case/IH fleet.

However, my Dad is more keen to go with something more modern like a newish Same or a slightly older MF both loader tractors as you can seem to get a lot for your money.

What does everyone think is my best bet and doesn't nessesarily have to be a loader tractor at this stage either.  ;):) :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also would concider a classic JD.... like a 3350 or a smaller 2140 but anything around 100hp and a classic I would concider and could probably push to about 8 grand, so should find something half nice.  :-*

This is what my local dealer had on the older JD front....

JOHN DEERE 3650 J-reg 91, average looking, but working order ?5,950

JOHN DEERE 3050HL 1987, 60% tyres 9180hrs, tidy ?6,500

JOHN DEERE 3050 1986, 2WD ?4,500

JOHN DEERE 2140 4wd, 1986, Quicke 2300 loader, 50% tyres, 7900hrs, ?6,950

if you want to stay with the case ih, id go for a mx110,perfest for loader with lh shuttle, and also has powershirt too and also come with front suspension as well, and they are selling for pretty good money too, worth looking into i think.

Well definately don't get a Same, the one my old boss had was a heap of trouble. As Smish says an MX would be a good tractor although they are quite basic still and not much further forward than a 5150. Don't discount an early 60 series New Holland as we had a 97 8560 that done 8000hrs with few problems and pulled like a train. One i would recommend going by experience at workis a Renault 106-54, the one where i work now has done 9000hrs and never been no trouble. It will pull a 16 ton trailer as well as the 836's we run and you could get a decent late model one for between ?7-12k with under 3000hrs on it, they have a bombproof engine and backend on them so shouldn't give any trouble :);)

Yer cheers for the help.... so are Renaults alright then? Its just there are absolutly none around here, infact there's only one that I've seen and that was outside Bedford, so wouldn't really know what they are like. As for the MX's, I think that is a great suggestion, though the cheapest one I've seen with a loader was ?12,000, but will have to spaek to me Dad. 5150 would be great actually and one with power-shift would be even better, as when we bought the 5130, we went for syncro, but not really sure for why now, but with a 5130, 40 or 50 look graet value for money at 7 grand in my opinion. Anyone know anything about 5120's? There's one on a dairy fram near here, but apparently it isn't a lot of bottle as it is only 4 cylinder.  :-\

massey looks rough for under 2000hrs, could be a new clock in it as it is k reg. the cab has a fair bit of wear inside

the case looks great, would fit in well with ya current fleet but ronnie said ya grandad had one and sold it after a year as it wasnt liked :-\

if ya looking for a classic jd i know of a 96hp 2wd comming availible ;)

I used to use a 5150 Pro on a 4m power harrow, really nice tractor to use and drive and it pulled well. Looked good with the chrome exhaust it had on it. Brakes tend to be a weak point on some of them though :-\

You can't fault the older Renault tractors if you want something powerfull and that you can get in small spaces a 106-54 or 103-54 is good, ours spends alot of the time on the feeder wagon now :)

massey looks rough for under 2000hrs, could be a new clock in it as it is k reg. the cab has a fair bit of wear inside

the case looks great, would fit in well with ya current fleet but ronnie said ya grandad had one and sold it after a year as it wasnt liked :-\

if ya looking for a classic jd i know of a 96hp 2wd comming availible ;)

What sort of money? 4wd would be better, but still worth a look.  :)

good to see youre keen on a 956 / 1056 the farm i used to work on had both and i would say the 956 had the edge over the 1056 just seemed a bit more powerful but then aircon does use a bit of hp. my uncle went from a 956 to a 5140 he said it was nice to sit in but not half the tractor the 956 was the only trouble is finding a decent 956 nowadays ???                          if youre looking for something more modern my money would be on a Valtra ;)

Hi when i was on the farm we had a jd 2040 4wd with a loader pull a house down and still keep going comfi to drive ideal for tight yards.left us with 9000 hrs most of witch was hard work.The only downside was a new clutch every year at a cost of ?1000 and i done the job myself plus no a/c

Now i do a bit part time for a contractor who runs case he's had a 5140 5150 sad day when she went with 8500 hrs a bit tatty but she sounded as sweet as a nut not a spanner on the engine.2 pto packs tho but she lasted 8 years. 5150 pro alright for the first 5 years then pto pack every year then no brakes!!!!  :o

If your tempted by a Massey, try a 6170/6180, you can get a decent one for ?10,000-?11,000. Or if you want something totally bombproof, with very little in the way of electronics to go wrong, why not have a look at a Fiat 110-90.

I'll second that one, a real pocket rocket of a tractor with that 5 cylinder engine :);)

I'll second that one, a real pocket rocket of a tractor with that 5 cylinder engine :);)

Mmmm thats also an option. I just don't know whee to start looking, othrewise I could just go to the local dealers and end up buying what ever they have.... saying that Browns at Chesham have a Valtra with a loader for ?13,000  :-\

.... Have made a lift of what would be nice to have in new tractor....

Smart loader on joystick controls,

Air-con,

40K box

and ideally powershift.

... but saying that I still like the idea of a big chunky 3350 which will have none of these.  :-\ Really, what do you think is my best bet?  ???

Oh dear a numpty for Gav I think the 110-90 has a 6cyl engine but as the lads said absolutely bombproof - my friend has 2 one a 1995 one with a Tanco loader and the other is 1998 which he has gotten turboed ;D

If going for a Case for loader work I think an MX C would suit best ;)

30K OR 40K DEPENDS  DIDN'T HAVE POWERSHIFT I THINK THAT WAS JUST THE BIGGER 40 SREIES LATER ONES HAD DIGTAL DASH BETTER STEPS INTO CAB . AIR CON WAS OPTIONAL  :o

What is a good price for a 30 series JD then? As the ones I have seen all seem to vary so much. Though they're never about for long.  :-\

What is a good price for a 30 series JD then? As the ones I have seen all seem to vary so much. Though they're never about for long.  :-\

Do you not mean a 50 series will they do seem to vary from about ?5000 - ?10000 for a later one so i would of thought you could get a good later one with 40k for about ?6000-?8000 h reg  ;)