At work with Gav

Gav836

Yes the 135 does belong to the farm, its been there since new Paul

Air brakes on all of them Gav?

We will be having air brakes fitted onto whatever we buy this time but not all the demo tractors have them, the MF doesn't but it does have front axle brakes which will put you through the windscreen

I'm doing a comparison and have gone through the specifications with the dealers, boss agrees with what I've asked for but we're going to have a chat after the quotes are all in. Got some serious thinking to do about when to change a there's a massive price hike coming early next year across the board when the new emissions regulations come in so its a case of do we order for April and hope to get the last of the current model, order for July and take a risk on the new technology or wait 12 months for the bugs to be worked out of them

big call for you really mate, could potentially save a fortune on the older spec, but then see say the mf improve the niggles and actually be the best, or the case  or valtra to that point, as for niggles, most of the improvements will be body work truth be known, bar the emissions, the engines ect will prob be the same, just remapped to meet regs

i guess the wait is a no go?? as the old jd could potentially cost you the savings in that year in repairs given its track record

Thats where you're wrong Sean the heaviest changes are happening in the engine department this time due to the regulations. We've already been told that it will push the NH price up by around £4500 and the JD £8000. NH are going onto an additive based emissions regulating system and JD are doing it another way. I personally think April would be the best way forward at this point as waiting 12 more months in going to cost us a fortune

Thats where you're wrong Sean the heaviest changes are happening in the engine department this time due to the regulations. We've already been told that it will push the NH price up by around £4500 and the JD £8000. NH are going onto an additive based emissions regulating system and JD are doing it another way. I personally think April would be the best way forward at this point as waiting 12 more months in going to cost us a fortune

i take it when say 'additive based' you mean along the lines of 'ad-blue' that lorries and some Mogs are on???

Yeah thats the one Simon, Boss is just worried about teething troubles with any new system after the amount of problems we've had with my current tractor

Plus you need a new tank to hold the urea mate. And that needs to be protected from the freezing temperatures.

Where did you get the £8000 figure from?

If it was my choice I would take a 7530 premium with autopwr mate but I'm biased. ;) the Deere system is not new technology either. We will use a Diesel Particulate Filter that is used on nearly every diesel car. New Holland for a fact will use a Diesel Particulate Filter on their smaller engines and Ad Blue for tue larger ones so be very careful what your looking at mate.

Also check who is supplying the technology, all I can say is the Deere system is designed and supported by Deere Power Systems not an external supplier.

All the reports I have seen so far suggest that Adblue actually makes the tractor more efficient and it uses less fuel. Because the Urea makes the combustion process more efficient so the diesel usage is substantially less and the engine can run cooler so reducing the need for bigger radiators and cooling systems.

Plus you need a new tank to hold the urea mate. And that needs to be protected from the freezing temperatures.

Where did you get the £8000 figure from?

If it was my choice I would take a 7530 premium with autopwr mate but I'm biased. ;) the Deere system is not new technology either. We will use a Diesel Particulate Filter that is used on nearly every diesel car. New Holland for a fact will use a Diesel Particulate Filter on their smaller engines and Ad Blue for tue larger ones so be very careful what your looking at mate.

Also check who is supplying the technology, all I can say is the Deere system is designed and supported by Deere Power Systems not an external supplier.

7530 is bigger than we need and wouldn't touch one with a bargepole I'm afraid but thats another story. The figure came straight from our dealer

All the reports I have seen so far suggest that Adblue actually makes the tractor more efficient and it uses less fuel. Because the Urea makes the combustion process more efficient so the diesel usage is substantially less and the engine can run cooler so reducing the need for bigger radiators and cooling systems.

Both systems have benefits and drawbacks but the biggest one for advlue is you are then subject to urea prices..... And need to set up a new fuel storage system....

7530 is bigger than we need and wouldn't touch one with a bargepole I'm afraid but thats another story. The figure came straight from our dealer

What's wrong with the 7530 mate?

Hmmmmm, I think your dealer may be a bit miss informed or miss quoted.... :-/

I did a stint as a warranty controller for a large mercedes benz dealership the ad blue system  does what its suppose to do for emissions  but here comes the but! its urea /salt based and corrodes metering devices  causing sticking and repeated failures. not something that mercedes benz or other manufacturers want to warn about butits true. The other alternative particulate filtration  requires filter changes - dont know what the frequency is on commercial diesel engines but their price for a particulate filter change on a ford passenger car is in the region of £1000.

I'm not going to get into the reasons behind the 7530 comments in too much detail but its to do with ones operating locally that I know of and have spoken to owners/drivers of.

To be quite honest I'd say all the tractors suit our need, the one that I found the best overall so far was the NH, I'll reserve final judgement until the 7430 has been out though

I did a stint as a warranty controller for a large mercedes benz dealership the ad blue system  does what its suppose to do for emissions  but here comes the but! its urea /salt based and corrodes metering devices  causing sticking and repeated failures. not something that mercedes benz or other manufacturers want to warn about butits true. The other alternative particulate filtration  requires filter changes - dont know what the frequency is on commercial diesel engines but their price for a particulate filter change on a ford passenger car is in the region of £1000.

Wow... Interesting mate.

As far ad I know the filters are self cleaning allmost if the temperature is kept high so that the particles are burnt off. The temperature is kept high by keeping a constant loaf on the engine.

Swing and roundabouts really...

http://www.deere.co.uk/en_GB/info_fun/press_room/press_room/2010/jun/it4.html

The four 7530's on the spreading gang I was on for Gav have all been solid as far as I know. Also a couple of farmers running them have been pleased. I wouldn't draw too much from other peoples hear say, good or bad. You have been comparing all the tractors very well against each other so it isn't fair to almost write a Deere off down to an old model or somebody else's view on a newer one.

That said, I see in the video of you driving the MF you are already wearing New Holland overalls. .. .. Secretly I reckon you're already sold and if your boss appreciates all the work you are putting into working out all the data from your testing and so on, he'll be sold on it too. :)

I'm on gavs side here with 7530 reliability as our one has been far from perfect with gearbox currently on way out and making very very unhealthy noises and having no balls anymore must be east anglian thing as I know of few locally as well, but all ones with autoquad are 100% even with some now touching 6000+hrs so seems to be autoquads are ok but I know ours is only one locally used hard as in 6 furrow mounted plough and pushed hard as in never under 34l/hr thats from meter!! So is how some people have so different experiences :)  not got anything against deere as had some fun times carting with autoquad ones.

But sad to hear the MF 7490 had some gremlins as I've always wanted to try a vario MF and think highly of most MF

I aren't going by hear say Tris, would rather form my own opinion but in this case its hard facts coming from the one they have/had where I used to work and the one one of my mates customers have, they both wish they'd never bought the tractors, my old lot have just replaced it with a Case as they were so tired of John Deeres but thats all I'll say on that one before some see fit to turn this into another JD bashing thread ::);D ;D I'll reserve final judgement until next week but I've roughly got it down to two in my mind already at this stage

The New Holland overalls were on offer hence why I have them, managed to burn a large hole in my Deere ones in the crotch area while using a 9 inch grinder :of;D ;D

The New Holland overalls were on offer hence why I have them, managed to burn a large hole in my Deere ones in the crotch area while using a 9 inch grinder :of;D ;D

So not just me that finds deere overalls flamable had a few close calls that gets you hot under collar or beak ;D