At work with Gav

Gav836

Yes Chris 18 inches between rows for us, some people go for 20 inches though depending on their preference.

As I let my colleague have a go on my tractor today so he could get used to it before we share it for destoning duties it gave me a chance to get a video of it subsoiling and listen to what everyone else has been hearing while I've been doing it :P:D

Music to ones ears Gavin...the next best thing to a V8 Scania 8)

Standens were out with me today to start the new destoner off, so far we're very impressed with it and would estimate that in 6 hours today I've covered the same area of ground that it would have taken 15-18 hours to do with our old machine. My boss has said that he's never seen a destoner going at 5kph before :lol:

DSCN2279.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

DSCN2283.jpg

DSCN2285.jpg

A short video of the Uniweb at work from the drivers seat

tidy gav, doesnt look like there many stones in there either, nice fine soil, and wheres buster then? ?????

There's a really bad stoney patch in that field but I'm too busy with tweaking the destoner in there to take any pictures of it. Buster had the day off today as I had people in and out of the cab with me for half the day.

gav i know absolutely anything about spud growing,when you have destoned a field is that it? or will you destone it again next year?

We''ll destone again in 7-8 years time when the field has a crop of spuds on it again by which time the intervening years cultivations will have spread the stones back out across the field

It just removes them from a 1.5m wide strip or bed in our case to the furrow between them where they are run in by the tractor/destoner wheels on the next pass Paul, you can get a cart elevator for destoners to remove the stones all together but over the course of time it would destroy the soil structure.

It just removes them from a 1.5m wide strip or bed in our case to the furrow between them where they are run in by the tractor/destoner wheels on the next pass Paul, you can get a cart elevator for destoners to remove the stones all together but over the course of time it would destroy the soil structure.

thanks again for answering my daft questions,but if you dont ask you will never know, ivenever had any experience with spuds what so ever,so if you wouldnt mind gav run throught he order of work from start to harvesting the good old spud

how many acres of spuds are you doing this year then gav??

About 150-160 I think from memory Sean, the increase in acreage was one of the deciding factors for changing the destoner to for this one, we couldn't afford any downtime with the old one again with an extra 40 or so acres to get through.

I was told today that we will probably be having a new Standen planter out on demo some time in the next month as well, can't have a red machine in our all blue lineup after all :lol:

thanks again for answering my daft questions,but if you dont ask you will never know, ivenever had any experience with spuds what so ever,so if you wouldnt mind gav run throught he order of work from start to harvesting the good old spud

1) Apply suspension fertiliser

2) Subsoil at 16 inches deep

3) Ridge up

4) Destone

5) Plant

6) Spray/Fertilise/Irrigate as required

7) Dessicate tops

8 )Harvest

We run a Grimme planter at the moment but its had a lot of work in its life. There won't be anything else new bought until April 2013 now, the destoner isn't actually a purchase its on a lease/hire agreement for three years after which time we can either buy it or upgrade it for another new one.

About 150-160 I think from memory Sean, the increase in acreage was one of the deciding factors for changing the destoner to for this one, we couldn't afford any downtime with the old one again with an extra 40 or so acres to get through.

I was told today that we will probably be having a new Standen planter out on demo some time in the next month as well, can't have a red machine in our all blue lineup after all :lol:

1) Apply suspension fertiliser

2) Subsoil at 16 inches deep

3) Ridge up

4) Destone

5) Plant

6) Spray/Fertilise/Irrigate as required

7) Dessicate tops

8 )Harvest

thanks gav,will there be any pictures of you planting?

Right Gav, your for it now!

1) Apply suspension fertiliser - what is suspension fertiliser and how is it applied? (Solid or liquid) Do you have a picture of the machinery used for this?

2) Subsoil at 16 inches deep - I assum you use a subsoiler!!!

3) Ridge up - A "blank canvase" field is ridged up (that is what the destoner is working on in the video?)

4) Destone - (what is being done in the video!)

5) Plant - Have you a picture of your planter (or will this come later?)

6) Spray/Fertilise/Irrigate as required - spray to control weeds i guess - what sort of fertiliser - can you take lots of pictures of all the irrigation stuff when you do it?

(pipe trailer, pump and stuff!!!)

7) Dessicate tops - is this spraying the green stuff on the top (think we called it halm?)

8 )Harvest - lovely!

9) Do you take the spuds back to the yard, tip the trailer into a hopper and onto a grader that sorts the spuds into sizes, then into potato boxes???

I think what i'm getting at Gav is are you able to take many many photo's for stupid carpet farmers like me and Paul :P:D

Barry if you're going to try and be clever and badger me for photo's take a look in the last two pages and you will find the ones of the fertilser being applied with a sprayer :P:lol: :ha ha!:

Will get pictures of everything else as and when I can

As per usual, I must pay more attention :lol:

You wouldn't believe I grew up on a farm that grew 1000 - 1200 acres of potatos a year on it would you!!!!

(I wasn't that interested then :unsure: )

Yes, lots of photo please :D :D :D :D

Do you not plough then Gav? I've seen a few people do it without ploughing i.e. just heavy cultivate with a chisel plough/subsoiler or similar, the last farm I worked on grew about 100-120 acres each year, both salad type straight into boxes and set skins over the grader for crisps/chips etc, our routine was -

1, spread field with manure if field needed it and if FYM was available

2, subsoil with a McConnell shakerator (buried nearly to top of the legs)

3, plough 'n' press at right angles to the way it was subsoiled

4, fertiliser applied then power harrowed / rotaspiked

5, ridged up and depending on quality of seedbed possibly bedformed/rotospiked

6, destoned and planted, we used to put on that horrible pink powder stuff when filling the planter

It's interesting to see how other people do things, I guess lot of it is down to soil type and farming policy used, keep up the good work I really like following your topic

How we do it:

IMG_9102Custom.jpg

Rotovate and plant in a single pass straight into ploughed land. Sometimes with ridging bodies on the back, sometimes the crop is ridged later on. Quick, cheap and simple ^-^ .

Oh you can chuck the photo off if you like Gav. Don't want to ruin your thread. :-[