At work with Gav

Gav836

Between 28 and 30 acres Niels, we had a look this lunchtime but its still too wet at the moment, hopefully have a go tomorrow. Unfortunately the 6910 has thrown a spanner in the works now as it had a small waterleak yesterday which upon investigation today turned out to be a split the full width of it so its now in pieces awaiting a new radiator......and two thermostats as we found they had been removed when we went to change them today :of we're now wondering why :-

Ah another boost for your John Deere morale then! ;D

whens the latest you can put the spuds in then gav?? every one down heres been done for a while, which is no help to you i know, but we usally get better weather earlier this way so you guys are always behiund by a few weeks anyway

Sensibly the end of May Sean otherwise it makes harvesting too late. I think you'll find that there are a few down your way still struggling to get them in as its certainly not a problem localised to this part of the country when you speak to people and look on other forums.

Ah another boost for your John Deere morale then! ;D

To be fair to that tractor at 8000 hrs you come to expect the odd problem but our only concern is that they may have been removed by the previous owner to hide the fact that the tractor was running hot when working hard.

mmm dont get way west of late, and they do a lot of veg down that way, but round this end they all seem to have been done anyway,

what would be the very lastest the boss would go for then?? 1 or 2 weeks into june tops?? or would they just leave that last few acres instead

I think we'd try to get them in asap into June as we have the seed here and that isn't cheap to buy.

I think there's some pictures in this topic somewhere Chris if not I'll get some next time I go ploughing, its not everyday you see 167hp tractor ploughing on row crop wheels thats for certain ;D

Well we finally got destoning again today, its a bit wet still which I think may have been the final straw for tonights breakage. I was making my way across the field at a steady 2.5kph when the slip clutch went off and the front two webs stopped, after a bit of digging out it was easy to see what the cause was.........the badly worn front web had snapped under the strain. Its an area of wear that Standens are looking into as something is wrong with the webs for them to wear this fast so hopefully its a warranty job. Standens will be with us at 7am in the morning with a new web, new sprockets and new clutch plates just in case they are too burnt.

IMG_0080.jpg

Thats one thing I don't think we will have a problem with with Standen's, they have been aware of an issue with premature web wear so by their own admission this should be covered under warranty. We've not had any problems with the other couple of claims we've had on it this spring related to wear on the webs.

We finally finished planting on Monday as I mentioned elsewhere on here so I've been washing the destoner down and getting the beet hoe ready for use. As the weathers been nice today with very little wind I've put 174kg/ha of nitrogen on the Russet Burbank potatos and 260kg/ha on the Saturna that have emerged, that just leaves the potatoes that we planted in the past week to top dress once they are through.

For those who are interested these are the Russet Burbanks planted on March 22 on light land

IMG_0084.jpg

Russet Burbanks planted on March 28 on heavy land

IMG_0081.jpg

Saturna planted on March 31 on medium-heavy land

IMG_0086.jpg

Just a quick update on the new potato store, we've had various workmen in the yard today, some digging trenches (and hitting the water main) for the electric supply, some laying a concrete plinth for a new transformer to go in and some starting to sheet in the sides of the store. Got a couple of pictures of the first side they've been working on, the spaces at the top are for fan ductings and the ones at the back for personel access doors to the tunnel.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

No we don't, the ridges are deeper than they look from the tractor seat but the seed potatoes themselves are planted 5 - 7 inches deep depending on seed size and there is as much loose destoned soil beneath them as there is on top of them if not more in the shallower depth as we destone at 12 - 14 inches deep giving them plenty of loose soil to grow into.

Well this afternoon I've been doing a job that I have to say is one of my least favourite tractor related tasks and one I've managed to escape for the past two years , I've had the tractor hoe out in the sugarbeet cutting out the over-drilling on the headlands where they join the field work and a patch of weedy beet in one of the fields. One of those jobs where you can't take your eyes of the task for more than a few seconds or a lot of damage can be done.

6810 and Stanhay Rowcleaner

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Not much room for error here!!

IMG_0090.jpg

Funny you should say that Gav. I always found it one of the nicest jobs to do on the farm! Especially if you can use a classic tractor, preferbly without a cab, or have the doors open/removed. The sport in going as fast as possible without hitting the plants and leaving a nice end result. I love every bit of it!

A few more updates on the new store now. The cladding boys have been here all week sheeting it in again, they just have the front to finish now along with all the flashings, trim and guttering. The venting company, Omnivent, also started work today, all Polish guys, not an Englishman amongst them ;D

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg